Cannot update because the i16

Japo32

Never had a problem before, but today, once everything is downloaded I have this msg:

ERROR: Can't move C:\DCS World\_downloads\Mods/aircraft/I-16/bin/I16FM.dll to C:\DCS World\Mods/aircraft/I-16/bin/I16FM.dll: (2) El sistema no puede encontrar el archivo especificado.
00031.902 STATUS: Can't move C:\DCS World\_downloads\Mods/aircraft/I-16/bin/I16FM.dll to C:\DCS World\Mods/aircraft/I-16/bin/I16FM.dll: (2) El sistema no puede encontrar el archivo especificado.

autoupdate_log.txt

I have the same problem.

I repaired my Beta DCS installation but same problem trying to apply update.

I then reinstalled the Beta and during the redownload of modules the message "I-16 not authorized" was received.

I excluded the I-16 from the module installation and the installation completed.

I now have an updated Beta but without the I-16 installed.

Obviously, the Beta update created this issue. 

Please repair.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

3rd Mar Div

RVN '66-'67

Its an antivirus issue, add the dcs program folder to the AV exclusion list and then do a repair.

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Definitely a problem caused by the I-16 update triggering antivirus software. This seems to be a recurring problem with the OctopusG module. I don't have these problems with modules from any other developer. OctopusG really needs to change the way their software is distributed, or else work something out with the AV community so that their software doesn't trigger malware scans. And ED should update the updater so that a problem with a single module doesn't kill the entire update.

See 

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

21 minutes ago, sthompson said:

Definitely a problem caused by the I-16 update triggering antivirus software. This seems to be a recurring problem with the OctopusG module. I don't have these problems with modules from any other developer. OctopusG really needs to change the way their software is distributed, or else work something out with the AV community so that their software doesn't trigger malware scans. And ED should update the updater so that a problem with a single module doesn't kill the entire update.

I fail to see why a problem caused by the Antivirus software, should be fixed by OctopusG and ED.

You really believe that a small developer should contact every Antivirus manufacturer and "work this out" with each? ... Why don't you report the issue to ESET instead of reporting it here?

I agree that the DCS updater could handle this type of issues better than a criptic error message, tough identifying if the affected file(s) belong to a specific module that can be left out of the update is probably more complex to achieve.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

2 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

I fail to see why a problem caused by the Antivirus software, should be fixed by OctopusG and ED.

You really believe that a small developer should contact every Antivirus manufacturer and "work this out" with each? ... Why don't you report the issue to ESET instead of reporting it here?

I agree that the DCS updater could handle this type of issues better than a criptic error message, tough identifying if the affected file(s) belong to a specific module that can be left out of the update is probably more complex to achieve.

The problem is caused by the interaction of the ESET program and the I-16 module, not by ESET alone. You are entitled to your own opinion, but I would think that developers would want their software to install correctly in commonly used environments, and ESET is widely used. Hence a bug report on the beta update. It's up to ED to decide what to do with it, and whether to contact ESET. I'm not trying to dictate anything, or cast blame, but have only offered my own experience and opinion.

Regarding reporting the problem to ESET myself, that's on my "to do list," provided I can figure out how. The ESET software deletes the file in question as soon as it appears in the download folder, which is why the ED updater can't find it to install, and so I have no file to submit for analysis. I'm sure that ED or OctopusG could provide it, however.  I assume that false positives are relatively uncommon (they are on my system) and so I do not think it would be terribly burdensome for ED and/or OctopusG to communicate with ESET about a known compatibility issue once it's reported.

So yes, I really believe that ED and/or OctopusG should contact ESET and other AV vendors whose software is flagging the I-16 module. (I never said "every Antivirus manufacturer." Those are your words, not mine, although I admit that "AV community" is somewhat vague and I'm trying to be more precise here.)

Better still if OctopusG would learn (perhaps from talking to ESET) how to avoid false positives (assuming that's what it is), just like other developers. There is a repeated history of compatibility issues, as evidenced by older threads reporting the same problem with older builds of the I-16. Other developers seem to be able to avoid this, so it is possible.

• Thanks 1

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

• 2 weeks later...