Vipers' centerline Jammer pods

Niehorst

It's quiet some time, but I'm sure there was at least one ECM pod available for the Viper at EA.

Where is it gone? Can't load it anymore...

NZXT H400i case

i9 9900k @ 4,9GHz (cooled by NZXT Kraken X62 4x140Fan - Push/Pull)

Asus RoG Maximus XI Gene with 32GB G.Skill CL14

Samsung M.2 970Pro 1000GB

ZOTAC RTX 2080ti Triple Fan 11GB

34" RoG Swift Curved TFT

runs smooth like Beck's Gold :D

HTC VIVE pro eYe (still freaking out!)

Thrust Master HOTAS Warthog on MONSTERTECH table mounts

15cm Stick Extension + red spring by SAHAJ 8 (<-- love them)

(TM F-18C ordered)

TPR (Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder)

T.Flight USAF Headset

There should be one in the next update, and I really hope they make the ECM panel at least somewhat functional. I think the specifics might be classified, but the general principles of jammer operations are not. It should work a lot like in the A-10C, only with physical buttons for selecting presets instead of the up-front control box.

3 hours ago, Dragon1-1 said:

There should be one in the next update, and I really hope they make the ECM panel at least somewhat functional. I think the specifics might be classified, but the general principles of jammer operations are not. It should work a lot like in the A-10C, only with physical buttons for selecting presets instead of the up-front control box.

There wasn't any mention of the jammer for the next update, only a wags video but no mention about it. They may be working on it.

I hope ED unify the jammer effects across all modules so every aircraft can be affected by the ECM.

I remember that one or two years ago ED mentioned to hire 2 EW experts (to unknown extend) to improve the EW stuff, correct me if I am wrong.
The Hornet is already a better example than the default jamming behaviour, maybe it's a testbed, like the Hind for human cargo or AH-64 for FLIR, wasn't it somehing like this?

Anyway, some basic stuff like "range gate pull off" or "velocity gate pull off" is pretty known by now, would be nice to have this. 
My experience tells me the push buttons on the ECM should be for something like this, some sort of "mission mode" or library change.
Exact freuquencies or PRFs don't even matter for us as players anyway, I consider it already as a "nice to have"/"attention to detail" if the bands match up.

Don't know about deception, barrage, etc. jamming, but as we say over here, everybody uses water for cooking...

Alias in Discord: Mailman

Does the AN/ALQ-131 and 184 work in 360º or do they work in a cone?

Also, how do these jammers compare vs the internal jammer of the F-18 or F-15?

IMO its not so easy to implement the ECM even if they do a very simplified version. It needs to affect AI (ground and air) and it needs to affect other modules from different developers, which of course it depends on each developer.

Edited by Ignition
  • Like 1

On 12/7/2021 at 10:12 AM, Ignition said:

Does the AN/ALQ-131 and 184 work in 360º or do they work in a cone?

Also, how do these jammers compare vs the internal jammer of the F-18 or F-15?

IMO its not so easy to implement the ECM even if they do a very simplified version. It needs to affect AI (ground and air) and it needs to affect other modules from different developers, which of course it depends on each developer.

ALQ-184 (and I assume -131) act generally in the direction of their fore/aft antennas. It's a picture of an electron orbital but roughly the shape I mean:image.png

Abeam is not so good. No idea how ALQ compares to internal (some F-16 have internal as well). I agree that EW sounds like a challenging pursuit.

6 hours ago, Jackjack171 said:

In the Official News there was a pic of it. I'd hate to be so pedantic but does the ECM pod look shorter than it should be? Or is this a different pod?

R.jfif 29.25 kB · 3 downloads

They both look like AN/ALQ-184s, which come in long and short versions; your image seems to depict a long variant whereas the F-16 development screenshot shows a shorter one.

Both have high quality models in the files, so presumably we'll get both (though things like RADAR bands aren't present in DCS as of yet).

Immagightrhye.thumb.png.29419193461d89be

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

35 minutes ago, Northstar98 said:

They both look like AN/ALQ-184s, which come in long and short versions; your image seems to depict a long variant whereas the F-16 development screenshot shows a shorter one.

Both have high quality models in the files, so presumably we'll get both (though things like RADAR bands aren't present in DCS as of yet).

We should be getting the long one soon. And hopefully never see the short version ever again. 

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

4 hours ago, Northstar98 said:

Thanks @Northstar98

4 hours ago, FoxOne007 said:

We should be getting the long one soon. And hopefully never see the short version ever again. 

Indeed!

• Like 1

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!

It's official, check out the video. 🙂 We're getting all three pods, and the ECM panel works. Simpler than I thought, but that's all right. They'll be improving the ECM simulation, but what we're getting (presumably) in the next update will be a lot like ASPJ on the Hornet.

• Like 2