Why do most servers not allow voice chat?

It's very discouraging to have all these servers dis-allow in-game comms.  This is a great way for pilots to me one another.  I have no interest in searching all the 3rd party comm software especially when DCS has built it so conveniently into the sim.

Can DCS please remove the capability of blocking the use of in-game voice comms. on the multi-player servers.

Thank you.

1 hour ago, fitness88 said:

Why do most servers not allow voice chat?

Because currently, the 3rd party software (SRS) is just much better, as it is integrated with the actual aircraft radios whereas the in-game-comms doesn't provide this yet.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

fitness> I think that you're asking the wrong people.

The ones that you need to target are the server owners, not the game creators.

ED have (IMO correctly) avoided hosting or providing servers.  Rather, they've left that to individuals and groups which facilitates creativity from the server owners to do something different.  

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Why can't there be both 3rd party comms for those that prefer it and the in-game comms for those wanting to spontaneously meet/talk with new pilots once airborne.

The reason I was addressing the game creators and not the server owners is because it's the server owners who are disallowing the in-game comms.

4 hours ago, fitness88 said:

Why can't there be both 3rd party comms for those that prefer it and the in-game comms for those wanting to spontaneously meet/talk with new pilots once airborne.

The reason I was addressing the game creators and not the server owners is because it's the server owners who are disallowing the in-game comms.

Well, the point of those 3rd party comms is that is makes use of the actual radios and frequencies. With the in-game talks you would bypass all this, which is almost like cheating.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

Being fair to the server owners, the ones that I remember using recently all advertised their Discord and SRS channels, both of which are free.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

12 minutes ago, Mr_sukebe said:

Being fair to the server owners, the ones that I remember using recently all advertised their Discord and SRS channels, both of which are free.

Yeah, that's another reason: SRS is free and works absolutely fine. So there is not really much desire to use other comms, especially when they are inferior like the in-game comms are in their current state. It's just putting more load on the server and the bandwith.

Tornado3 small.jpg

Hi.

Don't take my word for it, but I remember reading that the first version of VoiceChat did impact the performance of the game, so disabling it returned to normal FPS, so many servers did adopt the "nonVoiceChat" politic.

By now, I think there is no impact, but most people even ignore the existance of it. To me, it is a good addition, but needs to be completed.

Saludos.

Saca111

48 minutes ago, Sacarino111 said:

To me, it is a good addition, but needs to be completed.

Yeah, I think it will gain much more traction when they implment actual radio functionality.

Tornado3 small.jpg

Dear all,
I want to add my 2cents on this, since I was one of the admins that had stress ED on this particular topic.
Without talk about problems that VOIP had at the release, even if it's still not good as a SRS, it's now definitely an "usable" feature.
The main downside of this feature is that now relies ( at least for the initial handshake ) on the main thread of DCS netcode. That's why I still have some concerns and I prefer to manage our servers voice service on a complete different application/instance, that allow me also to track all the statistics and so on, and leave DCS server just handle the netcode. In the worst scenario of heavy load, you can also decide to split in two complete different computer/server that is something to be really taken into account.

To me it's good that ED is adding a builtin voip service, it will be really useful for "casual/random" multiplayer server, but it's important that it will remain an option that server admin can manage to turn it on or off.

Honestly speaking if had to spend money for rent decent host, spent time to manage the server and maintain an enjoyable mission on it, I want at least to be able to choose what enable or not 😉

Edited by Maverick87Shaka
  • Like 1

FlighRIG => CPU: RyZen 5900x | RAM: 64GB Corsair 3000Mhz | GPU: nVIDIA RTX 4090 FE | OS Storage: SSD NVMe Samsung 850 Pro 512GB, DCS Storage: SSD NVMe Sabrent 1TB | Device: Multipurpose-UFC, VirPil T-50, TM WARTHOG Throttle, TrackHat, MFD Cougar with screen.

Our Servers => [ITA] Banshee | Krasnodar - PvE | PersianConquest PvE Live Map&Stats | Syria Liberation PvE Conquest

Support us on twitch subscribing with amazon prime account linked, it's free!

20 hours ago, Maverick87Shaka said:

To me it's good that ED is adding a builtin voip service, it will be really useful for "casual/random" multiplayer server, but it's important that it will remain an option that server admin can manage to turn it on or off.

Amen.

Saca111

My main reason for the in-cockpit comms as mentioned, is it allows for more casual meeting of other pilots and I don't find 3rd party software offers this.  Improvement seems stalled at this time.  I do appreciate your concern for the bandwidth/server owners.

Edited by fitness88
  • Like 1

On 12/2/2021 at 3:42 AM, QuiGon said:

Well, the point of those 3rd party comms is that is makes use of the actual radios and frequencies. With the in-game talks you would bypass all this, which is almost like cheating.

I think flying an airplane from the comfort of your home is cheating. Start there.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/1/2021 at 7:18 AM, fitness88 said:

Can DCS please remove the capability of blocking the use of in-game voice comms. on the multi-player servers.

Hey fitness, I am part of the Growling Sidewinder server team and we don't allow the voicechat because its causing massive lags and makes our server unplayable for our +50 players.

My skins

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/28/2021 at 11:36 AM, Mike_Romeo said:

Hey fitness, I am part of the Growling Sidewinder server team and we don't allow the voicechat because its causing massive lags and makes our server unplayable for our +50 players.

Thanks for the response...sorry for the late reply but I've been flying elsewhere. 

Edited by fitness88