2 x SSD what goes on what?

Hi I have put together a high end system with the advise I receved from a previous thread which includes 2 x samsung 980 pro 1TB drives.

What I need advice on now is do I put the OS on C drive and DCS on the E drive? Or OS and DCS on the C drive and any other unrelated stuff on the E drive?  This is my first build and any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ged33 said:

What I need advice on now is do I put the OS on C drive and DCS on the E drive? Or OS and DCS on the C drive and any other unrelated stuff on the E drive?  

In my opinion, it's best to leave Windows on the C drive and place DCS on your second drive. By default, the /Saved Games/ folder and the Windows pagefile will be at the C drive too, so you will have divided the disk operations more or less evenly amongst both drives affording better performance.

• Like 2

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Hi Ged,

I forgot to add this. I have a Sabrent Rocket Nvme 1tb drive. That has my Win 10 pro OS a few basic utility programs, Photoshop and DCS. My loading times for DCS are super quick and I have no pauses or macro stutters from loading in missions. Going from the map view to the cockpit view is instant. I have my other games (Steam folder) on a Sata Crucial MX500 1tb drive. They have no problems either. I tried DCS on the Crucial drive and it was a little slower but not by much and only the initial loading. So I run DCS on my Nvme.

Its my opinion but if you have something as fast and large as a 1tb Nvme, it doesn't matter. 

• Like 1

Thanks Bossco82   I only asked because I have seen one person saying you should put just OS and DCS on the C  drive and another recommending the same as Rudel_chw.

There never seems to be a straight answer in computing  🙃 I probably would never notice the difference anyway just wanted it as optimised as possible

Thanks again

I went this route.  1st NVMe has the O/S and common desktop apps.  2nd NVMe is dedicated to the VR flights sims.  And because I had the 3rd NVMe slot available, my 3rd is for swap (for now).  I have a fourth SSD, (2 TB), that I dump all of my Steam and other games onto...

But if you have 2 drives, go with what Rudel_chw noted.  the O/S and swap on the 1st, and dedicate the 2nd drive for DCS.

Edited by javelina1
clarifying...
  • Like 1

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Yeah just do what Javelina and Rudel advised. There is no straight answer nowadays, if your system feels right then its probably ok. What you have nowadays is a correct way to do things which will work, then, there are better options to take if they are available. Thats your situation with this.

Even if there is no performance difference. If God forbid a virus, bad update or something takes out your OS. Your copy of DCS is safe on the other drive.

I think when we had the Sata SSD's (like my Crucial MX500) if you had DCS and the OS on the same drive when the OS accessed something while DCS was running it could cause a macro stutter. Page files and all that stuff. Its my opinion that on faster Nvme's it doesn't matter anywhere hear as much. So the advice you read correct.

If I could I would do the same. I am pondering getting a 512gb Sabrent rocket for my 2nd slot so I can have only DCS on that. Mainly because it does take longer to load if its on the Crucial Sata SSD. I just cant afford it this side of Xmas.

Edited by Bossco82
  • Like 1

My OS is on a Seagate 500Gb SATA SSD, all my games are on a 1Tb Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD. (DCS beta/release installs, IL2 Beta/release installs)  They install, run and update just like they are on the C drive. I have a Raptor HD for archives, and game, controller, skins, missions, etc back-ups.

Remember SATA SSD's go through the mobo SATA controller, the M.2 Nvme SSD's load right into the mobo chipset....... much faster, DCS loads very quickly.

Hoss 

Edited by 352nd_Hoss
  • Like 1

Sempre Fortis

19 hours ago, Ged33 said:

Hi I have put together a high end system with the advise I receved from a previous thread which includes 2 x samsung 980 pro 1TB drives.

What I need advice on now is do I put the OS on C drive and DCS on the E drive? Or OS and DCS on the C drive and any other unrelated stuff on the E drive?  This is my first build and any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance🙂

Hi Ged,

I have two, 1TB EVO Plus, have WIN10 on one C:,   second EVO has DCS only on D,  never a problem.  When I host, people say things run super smooth and load fast.

After a year and a half 33 writes to C and 10 writes to D.  I think they are good for 600.

dcsssss.png

Edited by HotRod87
  • Like 1

EVGA 2080TI FTW3 ULTRA - 99000k - 32gb 3200 14-14-14-34 - ASROK Phantom 9 - EVGA 1300W - 970 EVO Plus 1TB [X2] - Noctua D15 - Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 [X8] - Asus PG349q 34" 3440 x 1440 @120hz - Oculus S - EVGA D87 Case

Best practise was, is and likely will remain as such to separate the OS from other main Apps that do run as a main task, like DCS or other games (Steam and Origin libraries too ), music, pictures or videos  you work on professionally, virtual machines and stuff like that. MS Office, Adobe apps, 7-zip, Teamspeak and alikes can all go to the C drive along with the system as they will need to be reinstalled anyway if you blank the disk. The data on your 2nd drive, usually, can be used as is across installs ( aka no install ( registry entries ) needed to work ). That is the reason behind why you splitt them, saves a lot of work, time, download volume ( back in the days when lines where slow.. ), all sorts of benefits when not putting it all on 1 disc.

Still, it can be done with 1 drive only and with NVMe it will likely not even be slower with todays computers. You could buy a 2TB+ NVMe and splitt it up in different partitions but that is a different topic and also has + and - to be thought of.

Edited by BitMaster
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Welcome mate, always happy to shine some light on some mysteries of computing 😉

• Like 2

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Bossco82, we will rock that child as we say.

As long as the threads stay meaningful, polite and friendly I am always willing to help anybody and tbh, it's not seldom that along that way I pick up a few good ideas myself from other people, like you, who have valuable input on how to solve computing problems or strategies to apply to when renewing parts.

It's a win win for everybody when played fair and polite 🙂

FWIW: I just spend a fortune on Noctua fans, LoL, glad I am not married anymore and don't have to explain to kitchen command where that money went, haha.

I was tired of that "squeeeek" from the 4x180mm on my rad and for months I have tried to find a 25mm thick replacement for them but no one makes them anymore, all 180mm fans are now 30mm thick...grrhh. I convinced myself that 9x 120mm Noctua is less noise than 4x 180mm by Phobya which are 5 years old.

This decision took 3 months to ripe and a bottle of beer to finally hit the order button, jeeezz never thought fans can be that expensive and I need 9 of them, waahaaa. 

Edited by BitMaster
  • Like 1

I hear you mate, cant comment on the marriage part though I missed that boat twice. However going by one that could have been. That might have been a nice thing to be part of.

On the other hand from what I have been told it looks like I didn't miss a bullet with the other chance. Instead more like Tomahawk missile with a high yield warhead on board! I do not regret pulling the yellow handle and going through the canopy to escape that rodeo.

On a different note and much more interesting. If you do ever need a cheap fan. I fitted some "UPHere" 140mm red led fans to a my own PC when I was stuck for cash. I planned to swap them out when I could afford replace them for Corsair or similar. I still have them fitted, they really are very quiet even up to 1000rpm. 

• 2 weeks later...

hi all.
SERIOUSLY new "noob" here.
just getting my feet wet with all that DCS takes to to run well.
yikes.

just got the courage to pull the trigger on a 'throroughbred' (for me) PC for flight sims and davinci resolve video editing.

was really confused about the best way to install all the programs and get the best bang for EVERY buck i'm spending.
your interactions were not only very insightful and a help.... but shines a comoforting light into the kinds of....
just good people that are around here.

when i finally get my new rig... AND my virpil controls (from belarus)... (and figure HOW to get them mapped)... AND get my (pre-ordered) head-tracking...
AND a radio/discord set-up worked out... AND all the software installed.......... and eventually LEARN how to keep an F-15C from crashing........

i hope to tip a wing to you all in the DCS skies.
please DO carry on with your days,

wotrwokr/"badger"