My first "complex" landing.

Sr.

After several hours of normal landings on the ground, I took a shot at landing on a drilling platform.

I can't get over how awesome VR choppers are to fly. So much detail that is missed at 300+ knots.

:cheer3nc:

Drilling Platform Landing.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

It's very rewarding doing those for the first time, after some practise you forget how hard these were.

Agree with the detail, it looks so good sometimes, I still love multiplayer formation flying, being at the back and looking past the gunner and in to your mates cockpit takes some beating.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

I'm still trying to figure out this landing style... not even close.

Can anyone describe what's going on in this video? Apparently the annotations from it are broken.

On 11/28/2021 at 4:24 AM, cromhunt said:

Maybe you would like to play a mission with that kind of exercices:

If you agree please contact me  on discord:https://discord.gg/YwBwyuQ or PM me

You will be welcome

Good game😉

Thanks, I just might. Once I get my pedals in and get used to them... and can bear the embarrassment  🙂 

Edited by Sr.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

--Arthur C Clark

58 minutes ago, Sr. said:

Can anyone describe what's going on in this video? Apparently the annotations from it are broken.

I´m not super experienced with the Huey, but I mostly land like this.

On the approach, starting around the 1 minute mark in the video, you pull back the cyclic to slow down. At the same time, lower the collective to reduce altitude (otherwise you would just climb)
Keep an eye on the speed, because at around 20 knots comes the tricky part, where Huey wants to drop like a brick. At that point, pull back on the collective (and a bit more on the cyclic) and you also have to push rudder left. You see this at 1:14 min in the video, you see a slight jerking motion and you can also see the left rudder and him correcting with the pedals.

This has to be timed pretty well. If you´re too late on the collective, you will likely crash, if you´re too early you will just climb. If you forget the rudder, you will start to spin.
It´s a bit unfortunate that he didn´t activate his controls overlay in the video.

Edited by Eugel
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sr. said:

Raise the nose whilst dropping collective and correctng with the torque pedals to slow. Bring back in collective just prior to loosing transitional lift, corrrect with torque pedals,  bring to hover or thereabouts, drop the copter. 

You can find the "biting point" of the collective to save not having the torque and rpm when required by observing carefully the point at which the aircraft wants to move its nose away from centre as you introduce it. 

Pulling around 180 degrees as you overfly the LZ whilst doing similar also works but is a bit hollywood and slightly harder to co-ordinate. 

Search for Casmo TVs and AVTerminus's tutorials on youtube. They are goldmine of info and understanding. Especially the rotor theory. 

Edited by Boosterdog

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

8 hours ago, Boosterdog said:

Raise the nose whilst dropping collective and correctng with the torque pedals to slow. Bring back in collective just prior to loosing transitional lift, corrrect with torque pedals,  bring to hover or thereabouts, drop the copter. 

You can find the "biting point" of the collective to save not having the torque and rpm when required by observing carefully the point at which the aircraft wants to move its nose away from centre as you introduce it. 

Pulling around 180 degrees as you overfly the LZ whilst doing similar also works but is a bit hollywood and slightly harder to co-ordinate. 

Search for Casmo TVs and AVTerminus's tutorials on youtube. They are goldmine of info and understanding. Especially the rotor theory. 

Great explanation Thanks.

I'm getting there. So much fun.

Now If I can just get SteamVR to stop crashing.

--Arthur C Clark