F-14B: Rudder curves, what settings seem to work best?

Ghostrider142

Loaned my saiteks out thinking I'd not get back into DCS anytime soon haha, so I'm back on the T16000 setup for now. Stick and throttle setup good, just noticing the over-input syndrome with the big cat and her maneuvering needing some rudder.

Deadzone is an idea I'll try as these do have a little wiggle room at center, and maybe it does need a +20 range curve, I started with 5 and wasn't much difference.

Edited by Ghostrider142

i7-4770K @3.50GHz; EVGA 1070 8GB Superclocked; 16GB Ram; MSI Z97 Gaming; two Samsung 500GB SSD's in RAID; TrackIR; 32" 2560x1440 Samsung

2 hours ago, draconus said:

What controls do you have?

I use 0 curves and deadzone of 3, because of the loose center. I advise against curves.

I know about 1% of the Tomcat but I did see in a Grim Reapers video that they also suggest no curves for the Tomcat.

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

2 hours ago, Beirut said:

I know about 1% of the Tomcat but I did see in a Grim Reapers video that they also suggest no curves for the Tomcat.

Was this pedals exclusively? I use very little on the stick myself

i7-4770K @3.50GHz; EVGA 1070 8GB Superclocked; 16GB Ram; MSI Z97 Gaming; two Samsung 500GB SSD's in RAID; TrackIR; 32" 2560x1440 Samsung

7 hours ago, Ghostrider142 said:

Was this pedals exclusively? I use very little on the stick myself

I think he was talking about the stick, but I've owned the Tomcat for all of one whole day so my opinion is not very weighty.

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

I also advise against curves unless you have a spiking/deadzone issue (then adjust curves to gently get you out of the deadzone).  Reason for this is even though with no curve the Tomcat will be very sensitive near the center, any positive curve will reduce center sensitivity but make the extremes more responsive.  In the Tomcat you want that constant precision throughout the axis throw, as the precision is just as important at 75% as it is at 15%.  All things equal, it's best to learn how to fly it without the curves, and that way you don't have to re-learn flying the Tomcat when you decide to reduce your curves later.

Edited by Home Fries

Aren't curves necessary to get 1:1 movement out of individual hardware? This is very much the case for throttles with an AB detent like the Warthog. I need much less sensitivity for my pedals. Without curves the Tomcat's rudders are more sensitive than those on the Huey. Other than curves, I don't know how to reduce this sensitivity.

Edited by Nealius

Just experiment with different values until you find what suits you and your gear. I think I run about 15 on my crosswinds.

I do not agree that you need constant precision for the rudder. Precision is way more useful near the center.