Just bought it.

Beirut

I put off buying the Tomcat for a long time, tried the trial, but never had a love affair with it. But I finally got it and paid attention to detail after watching a lot of tutorials recently, and it's great. (Fortunately Steam refunded my AH-64 pre-order, decided I wasn't into it. So I have some extra flight dollars) Just did my first landing and it was pure flying bliss. No space shuttle HUD, actually had to fly it in, and when Jester called out "1000'... 500'..." it was just damn good fun. Have Jester on Voice Attack, no VAICOM yet, but it's workable - not that I've done much more than look around. But the quality of this plane is off the charts. Now I see why so many of you are as enthusiastic as you are.

Anyway, just felt like venting some positive flight-vibes. Time to climb Mt Learningcurve. 

20211126090240_1 - Copy.jpg

• Like 6

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

I'm going to look into VAICOM, but for the moment I'm busy just fiddling with all the buttons. I did manage to Phoenix a couple of angry birds with Jester, that was cool. And one thing about the F-14, it's the only plane I fly with the mirrors on. Most of the time I find the mirrors annoying, but in the Tomcat I find they have to be on. I don't know if that means anything, but there it is.

I figured the skin was appropriate since the Tomcat was invented in Canada. :happy:

34 minutes ago, Callsign JoNay said:

Screw VAICOM, learn both seats and find yourself some human beings to fly with. Nothing is better than a section flight with all four seats occupied.

Is drinking permitted or outright encouraged? 

JoNay is right - if you can find a human RIO, that's absolutely the way to go.  If not and you're flying alone, then I still think VAICOM is preferential to the Jester wheel.  

In the "go big or go home" category, if you find yourself looking for more information on the F-14, you can purchase the USN Pilot Operating Manual for the F-14 (NAVAIR 01-F14A.A.A-1) in two volumes on Amazon - F-14 Tomcat Pilot's Flight Operating Manual Vol. 1: United States Navy: 9781935327714: Books - Amazon.ca

Enjoy the Tomcat.  

4 minutes ago, _Redwing_ said:

JoNay is right - if you can find a human RIO, that's absolutely the way to go.  If not and you're flying alone, then I still think VAICOM is preferential to the Jester wheel.  

I wouldn't mind riding in the back seat. I think it would be pretty scenic and kinda cool. You're working your radar and the whole world is just whoopin' around at high speed outside the canopy. I think it would be interesting.

4 minutes ago, _Redwing_ said:

In the "go big or go home" category, if you find yourself looking for more information on the F-14, you can purchase the USN Pilot Operating Manual for the F-14 (NAVAIR 01-F14A.A.A-1) in two volumes on Amazon - F-14 Tomcat Pilot's Flight Operating Manual Vol. 1: United States Navy: 9781935327714: Books - Amazon.ca

Enjoy the Tomcat.  

I have to admit I'm still in the "go home" stage. But that might change.

3 minutes ago, Beirut said:

I wouldn't mind riding in the back seat. I think it would be pretty scenic and kinda cool. You're working your radar and the whole world is just whoopin' around at high speed outside the canopy. I think it would be interesting.

"Scenic" isn't the word I'd use to describe RIO, even though it's the best seat in the house.  You're busier than the pilot; the pilot is busy flying the plane so you handle the lion's share of the systems.  The RIO station is almost like a fast-paced RTS with all the multitasking going on.

The Tomcat is fantastic. A Mach 2 Warbird. You have to fly her properly or she will try to kill you. Going from a fly-by-wire module to the Tomcat is an eye opener. Especially in VR. The way she talks to you at the limit is just incredible. Just don't look at the instrument night lighting right now. When she was released it was gorgeous, but ED's light patches messed it all up.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk