Jump to content

More focus on existing modules and core game first


Racoon-1-1
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hey folks,

I get more and more the impression that the current focus is to produce as much modules in the shortest amount of time possible. I mean yeah, a lot of planes are definitely cool, but when I read that huge parts of the F/A-18C team switched over to the F-16 while the hornet is still in early access, the question comes up if the current strategy is really the best.

What about the ground statics or a lot of the ai-controlled planes like the B-52, B1 etc.? To say they look a bit dated is an understatement. We have the Hind and the Apache now, but where is the fun fighting such old assets with these cool machines when they don't even have adequat damage models?

I get that new modules are the stuff that keep attracting new players, but at this point I think the rest of the game also deserves a bit more attention.

Kind regards

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Couldn't agree more, there's a lot to be desired on having things work as advertised, so you actually get what you paid for. Instead of okay, that's good let's move on to the next project we will never actually finish. And it's all our fault for buying things that are not a tested and finished product. A fool and his money.............. are easily separated.........

Happy Thanksgiving to my country men and women.

Hoss

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sempre Fortis

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Racoon-1-1 said:

What about the ground statics or a lot of the ai-controlled planes like the B-52, B1 etc.? To say they look a bit dated is an understatement.

 

Yes, they look dated ... but so what? this is a mostly cosmetic issue, as I kill the B-52 from such a distance that I barely see the target aircraft (or target tank in the case of the ground units). 

 

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600 - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Link to comment
Share on other sites

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Rudel_chw:

 

Yes, they look dated ... but so what? this is a mostly cosmetic issue, as I kill the B-52 from such a distance that I barely see the target aircraft (or target tank in the case of the ground units). 

You're right, this is just of minor importance, but I was using this just as an example. But what about a dynamic campaign, the problematic AI or finishing the Hornet and other planes first? Imo there are many parts of the game that should get more attention before putting all resources into developing new modules. For example I love the F-16, but I refuse to buy that module right now because of this current policy. From what I see right now, it will probably also be left in its half-finished state for a very long time while the team goes over to their new projects.


Edited by Racoon-1-1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Racoon-1-1 said:

Hey folks,

I get more and more the impression that the current focus is to produce as much modules in the shortest amount of time possible. I mean yeah, a lot of planes are definitely cool, but when I read that huge parts of the F/A-18C team switched over to the F-16 while the hornet is still in early access, the question comes up if the current strategy is really the best.

What about the ground statics or a lot of the ai-controlled planes like the B-52, B1 etc.? To say they look a bit dated is an understatement. We have the Hind and the Apache now, but where is the fun fighting such old assets with these cool machines when they don't even have adequat damage models?

I get that new modules are the stuff that keep attracting new players, but at this point I think the rest of the game also deserves a bit more attention.

Kind regards

 

This is a side effect of Eagle's business model.  DCS core doesn't make them money but releasing new modules does, so they focus on that. This is why we end up with people posting about a DCS subscription every so often.   I fully understand why Eagle doesn't want to do a subscription and I fully understand why certain players ask for it. If I had my way Eagle would offer an optional subscription, where subscribers get DCS unlimited plus access to some private servers and possibly an official DCS ladder some of my fellow old timers probably remember the old flanker ladder. I'm not saying I would pay, but I would like the people asking for it to get a chance to put their money where their keyboard is.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

From a coding standpoint, a lot of the systems and weapons are shared between the F/A-18C and the F-16. You code a simulated AN/APG-73 radar and it becomes the starting point for a AN/APG-68 radar. Yes, the models, FM, and details are different, but, it always easier to start with something similar. DCS now has momentum turning out new modules.

The core features people want are new coding efforts. DCS was not originally designed to have a Dynamic Campaign. The new Damage Model system is still being worked out on the WWII planes. These efforts are going to take years. 

As for the Hind, it is tanking 105mm tank rounds and keeps flying. It's still early early-access. The Apache not even out yet. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Grimleo said:

From a coding standpoint, a lot of the systems and weapons are shared between the F/A-18C and the F-16. You code a simulated AN/APG-73 radar and it becomes the starting point for a AN/APG-68 radar. Yes, the models, FM, and details are different, but, it always easier to start with something similar. DCS now has momentum turning out new modules.

This is why I always say you need to think about how a problem can be solved with a module. For example let's take the naval environment right now damage is all hp based. A good naval module would have a systems based damage model. So if we either got fleet ops or an Iowa-class battleship module it would be easier to add to other ships since the initial development is paid for via a module.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Racoon-1-1 said:

Hey folks,

I get more and more the impression that the current focus is to produce as much modules in the shortest amount of time possible. I mean yeah, a lot of planes are definitely cool, but when I read that huge parts of the F/A-18C team switched over to the F-16 while the hornet is still in early access, the question comes up if the current strategy is really the best.

What about the ground statics or a lot of the ai-controlled planes like the B-52, B1 etc.? To say they look a bit dated is an understatement. We have the Hind and the Apache now, but where is the fun fighting such old assets with these cool machines when they don't even have adequat damage models?

I get that new modules are the stuff that keep attracting new players, but at this point I think the rest of the game also deserves a bit more attention.

Kind regards

 

ED has working on update Old AI 3D models on B-52, B-1, etc. Building by the AI 3D team. On fact, on 2021, ED has updated a good quantity on old 3D models.

Quote

 

AI Units

New and Updated assets

Because DCS World is built on a project spanning almost two decades, some units now show their age and will be updated throughout the year. It is also important that we add new units to better fill the battlefields. Here are some of the items that we intend to create or update in 2021:

Large Aircraft: B-52H, Tu-95MS, Tu-142, B-1B, IL-38, and Tu-160

Carrier Aircraft: S-3B and SH-60B

Ground Units: M1A2, AMX-56 Leclerc, Wespe Sd.Kfz.124, KS-19 100mm ADA, Son-4 “Flap Wheel” radar, C1 Ariete, Pantsir SA-22 “Greyhound”, and S-300/SA-10 “Grumble”.

 


About Damage models, ED continue working on WW2 new damage model and will update the modules with the new DM, by part of the core team.

About "stop" develop of new modules. The core features has build by the Core team on Moscow. That is not a work by the others teams and studios, centred on build module aircrafts, helos, ships and others.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

More news to the front

My Rig: Intel I-5 750 2.67Ghz / Packard Bell FMP55 / 16 GB DDR3 RAM / GTX-1080 8 GB RAM / HD 1Tb/2Tb / Warthog / 2 MDF / TFPR

DCS: Roadmap (unofficial): https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=116893

DCS: List of Vacant models: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=4076891#post4076891

Silver_Dragon Youtube

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We just shared this today:

 

We have a lot of core things going on, some take a lot longer to get right than others. Our focus remains on current projects and the core as always.

 I don't know when the next module after the AH-64D will be announced or teased, but new modules are part of what keeps DCS afloat, it has to be a balance to keep the lights on.

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

SigDCSNew.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, NineLine said:

We just shared this today:

 

We have a lot of core things going on, some take a lot longer to get right than others. Our focus remains on current projects and the core as always.

 I don't know when the next module after the AH-64D will be announced or teased, but new modules are part of what keeps DCS afloat, it has to be a balance to keep the lights on.

 

 

Ooooohhhhhh.... that's really nice cloud action! :happy:

  • Like 1

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, NineLine said:

We just shared this today:

 

We have a lot of core things going on, some take a lot longer to get right than others. Our focus remains on current projects and the core as always.

 I don't know when the next module after the AH-64D will be announced or teased, but new modules are part of what keeps DCS afloat, it has to be a balance to keep the lights on.

 

Who needs a real life...🤔 

Thank you guys! 😄 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...