Jump to content

So... What happened here


Go to solution Solved by Kippy,

Recommended Posts

Hello all, not new to the A10, but is not my most used module. 

So, after an hour of flight at FL300, I went back to base because I was winchester, and when I was turning and reducing altitude, a master warning pops up and gives me the "GUN UNSAFE" light, and when I activated my gun (Because I didn't knew what was happening) my gun ammo went red, and full of "X". What is this? This is a Gun Failure due to altitude? It's a MP server, so there are no random failures.

Here is the photo of the DSMS

image.png

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Were you on the ground when the screenshot was taken?

 

If not,

Asking only due to the ASI at zero, maybe the GAU is susceptible to icing too?


Edited by G.J.S

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

According to the A-10 field manual:

The GUN UNSAFE light comes on when the gun trigger is released if clearing cycle is not completed within 2.5 seconds. Live rounds are in the barrel and the gun could fire. The GUN UNSAFE light is powered by the DC armament bus.

CAUTION:

The trigger should not be depressed when the GUN UNSAFE light is on. Doing so may cause serious damage to the system and aircraft.


I've never had this happen to me before. Could it be that you "slapped" the gun trigger? Hope this helps.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Solution

Likely a result of battle damage, if you had taken any. 

The GAU-8 goes though a clearing cycle within .5 seconds after every firing, designed to eliminate unfired rounds in the barrel. 

There are generally a few ways for a gun unsafe light to trigger according to the -1 and 3-3's I've read:
 

  • Clearing Cycle fails to complete within 2.5 seconds after firing for any reason, including
  • Interrupting the clearing cycle by safing the gun
  • Two firing pins are detected as broken (unmodeled in DCS to my knowledge)

 

As a side note, the X's displaying instead of the proper round counter is either a product of further damage or improper modeling of a gun unsafe condition. Every example I've seen in documentation for unsafe gun displays still show an accurate round counter.

 

image.png


Edited by Kippy
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Kippy said:

Likely a result of battle damage, if you had taken any. 

The GAU-8 goes though a clearing cycle within .5 seconds after every firing, designed to eliminate unfired rounds in the barrel. 

There are generally a few ways for a gun unsafe light to trigger according to the -1 and 3-3's I've read:
 

  • Clearing Cycle fails to complete within 2.5 seconds after firing for any reason, including
  • Interrupting the clearing cycle by safing the gun
  • Two firing pins are detected as broken (unmodeled in DCS to my knowledge)

 

As a side note, the X's displaying instead of the proper round counter is either a product of further damage or improper modeling of a gun unsafe condition. Every example I've seen in documentation for unsafe gun displays still show an accurate round counter.

 

image.png

 

This might be a "unapropiate" way of representing. I have to say, that when the GUN USAFE light came on, the GUN round counter was RED with all the bullets on the counter "1150". Because I am a curious guy, I saw the red box on the gun bullet counter and hit the trigger to see what happens, after that, my bullet counter went to "XXXX XX" as shown on the screenshot. 

19 hours ago, G.J.S said:

Were you on the ground when the screenshot was taken?

 

If not,

Asking only due to the ASI at zero, maybe the GAU is susceptible to icing too?

 

Correct, I landed, and took the screenshot, but the issue was at high alt. Maybe, the issue was icing

17 hours ago, Cato said:

According to the A-10 field manual:

The GUN UNSAFE light comes on when the gun trigger is released if clearing cycle is not completed within 2.5 seconds. Live rounds are in the barrel and the gun could fire. The GUN UNSAFE light is powered by the DC armament bus.

CAUTION:

The trigger should not be depressed when the GUN UNSAFE light is on. Doing so may cause serious damage to the system and aircraft.


I've never had this happen to me before. Could it be that you "slapped" the gun trigger? Hope this helps.

It may is the reason, I might did that, but if I was Master Arm ON and Gun Safe, would that trigger the systems on the Gun?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I may be wrong, but I believe the only simulated icing for the A-10C in DCS is pitot tube icing, so it would not have been icing that caused this issue.

The gun must have been damaged in combat, or perhaps you may have inadvertently interrupted the clearing cycle by safing the gun after firing. 

At this point it's conjecture unless you have a track file or server event logs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Kippy said:

I may be wrong, but I believe the only simulated icing for the A-10C in DCS is pitot tube icing, so it would not have been icing that caused this issue.

The gun must have been damaged in combat, or perhaps you may have inadvertently interrupted the clearing cycle by safing the gun after firing. 

At this point it's conjecture unless you have a track file or server event logs.

I have a track, but it's more than an hour long... I guess this topic can be more like a "fun thing that happened while flying" than a bug report.

Next time I see red lights, and a Master Warning, I will know something is wrong with my plane xD. Thanks for all the answers, good to know the cleaning cycles thing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...