Fuel tank empty

X_legio

Hi there, I was in mission and suddenly the ka tell me that the rear fuel tank is almost empty, I have a look and ok the front is still with a lot of fuel, after a while the engine n2 stops for lack of fuel and I have to do a rtb with one engine running. During the flight back I have seen that all the switch for the aft and front fuel tank was on. Any guess ?

The one fuel tank takes 705kg fuel, and the other 745kg. So the one tank will likely always run out before the other.

The cross-feed ("x feed" I think it's called, next to APU fuel) allows both tanks to feed both engines. So if you're running low fuel, switching that on prevents one engine dying earlier. No idea if that actually lets you keep flying longer, as you're powering both engines, but at least you still have the lift you're expecting.

For Black Shark tutorials, visit my channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-LgdvOGP3SSNUGVN95b8Bw

1 hour ago, X_legio said:

ok, How I can do it ?

To save a track when playing a single player mission, exit the mission and click the "Save Track" button.

savetrack.jpg

When playing a multi player mission, tracks are automatically saved in "Saved Games/DCS.../Tracks/Multiplayer".

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

Multi-engined helicopters are often equipped with different sizes of feeder tanks.

This is a kind of built-in life insurance for the most careless of pilots, who failed to manage their fuel correctly and eventually are even up to ignore the fuel warnings. The idea is to have the crew land within a specific amount of minutes after the low fuel warning (as will be defined in the checklist/AOM). If the crew still carries on, one tank will empty before the other, so the shutting down of one engine will be your last and final warning.

The first engine shutting down would normally be the left engine (number 1) with the Blackshark, as it is fed from the front fuel tank, which has a capacity of 705 kg. The rear tank bears up to 745 kg, so you will have around 40 kg left on the right engine (number2) to bring the helo to an instant but safe landing.

If the rear tank is empty first while the front is not, something has gone wrong. The applicable emergency action would be to open the crossfeed valve to keep both engines supplied from the front tank and keep an eye on the fuel meter to verify front tank fuel level isn't suddenly dropping as well. Consumption from front tank will increase now of course.

Edited by Rongor
I like editing stuff

What might have happened: You have not turned the APU off after starting the engines or you have had the APU running very long before take off, so that during flight the Rear Tank pumped dry before the Forward Tank.
The APU also gets its fuel from the Rear Tank, which again feeds the right engine (Engine 2) with Cross-feed valve closed.

System Components

Power supply: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 650W 80Plus Platinum <> Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix X570-E Gaming  <> Processor: Ryzen 5 5600x <> Cooler: DeepCool Gammaxx C40 <> RAM: 2x16GB HyperX Predator 3600Mhz <> SSD: 2x1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe M.2 (Raid 0) <> HD: 2TB Seagate BarraCuda <> Graphics card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 Ti 11G Gaming <> Head tracking: TrackIR4 Pro <> dunTrackR <> Monitors: Philips bdm4065uc 40" 4K 3840x2160  (Camera) <> 2x IBM 15" 1024x768 (LMFCD & RMFCD)

Cockpit: self-construction <> Controls: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog (extension for cyclic & collective control) <> Thrustmaster Rudder Control System <> Sound: Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium <> Logitech Z-560 THX Sound System

"...Runways are for beauty queens!"

2 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

What might have happened: You have not turned the APU off after starting the engines or you have had the APU running very long before take off, so that during flight the Rear Tank pumped dry before the Forward Tank.
The APU also gets its fuel from the Rear Tank, which again feeds the right engine (Engine 2) with Cross-feed valve closed.

interesting point. Something to be tested.