Aircraft Takeoff Flight Model

mytai01

As a tower controller I see aircraft taking off 5 days a week for over 30 years. Something I've noticed with real aircraft, as opposed to flight simulators like DCS, is the smooth transition from departure roll to airborne. It seems that real aircraft have a bit more elevator/stab authority, and the tail comes alive sooner and smoother. So, what I'm asking for is a review of the take-off flight model for player controlled aircraft to see if it can be made better...

Edited by mytai01
  • Like 3

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...

5 hours ago, razo+r said:

You are talking about AI, right?

Sorry, I wasn't clear. Several years ago, the modelling for player controlled aircraft was improved for takeoff handling. So, I'm asking for a review to see if it can be improved further. Perhaps improvements in computers will allow that.

• Like 1

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...

If referring to player controlled aircraft, could it be down to sticks not having enough length to allow a smoothly gradual pull? The majority of sticks in use don't have enough length to allow finesse. 

If in reference to the AI, then that will be a core issue that ED will maybe be able to tweak.

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

16 hours ago, mytai01 said:

As a tower controller I see aircraft taking off 5 days a week for over 30 years. Something I've noticed with real aircraft, as opposed to flight simulators like DCS, is the smooth transition from departure roll to airborne. It seems that real aircraft have a bit more elevator/stab authority, and the tail comes alive sooner and smoother. So, what I'm asking for is a review of the take-off flight model for player controlled aircraft to see if it can be made better...

So, if it's not about AI, it needs more info, tracks, videos. Different modules will have different behavior, still it depends a lot on the pilot skills.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

This is 100% down to the individual, their controls, and how well they configured those controls. ''Real pilots'' you see taking off are properly trained, follow ideal procedure, and have optimised controls for the task. Many DCS pilot have none of that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

23 hours ago, mytai01 said:

Thank you for posting such valuable information. Nobody here on the forum or Eagle Dynamics themselves has ever seen a Hornet take off. It’s amazing that you found such rare and previously unseen footage. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

As mentioned, people did that (and more) in DCS. Presumably, they practiced nearly as much as the real Blue Angels did to do it. That sort of thing is tricky in the real plane, too. 

The real stick can be a mixed blessing. It's more precise, but it's got a lot of travel and very high forces on it. This means rapidly swinging it from one side to the other takes quite a bit of muscle and a non-negligible amount of time. A force-sensing side stick like in the Viper is actually closer to controls that we use (at least, those of us who can afford a RealSimulator stick base and a Warthog grip to go with it), and some people say it's superior to the traditional center stick. That said, "some people" are in this case Viper drivers, and they say that about everything that their jet does differently. 🙂 

Edited by Dragon1-1

• ED Team
On 11/24/2021 at 6:30 PM, mytai01 said:

Sorry its seems you are generalising all aircraft and saying something is incorrect with the flight models? 
If you have evidence there is something wrong with a flight model we would need evidence, track replays and data to back it up for each aircraft you suspect is wrong. 

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

On 11/29/2021 at 8:50 PM, mytai01 said:

I've done this before. Multiple times. It takes some practice to get that smooth, but it is doable. The only issue has more to do with how DCS models rolling friction, which feels pretty exaggerated to my own experiences.

Edited by MiG21bisFishbedL

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

The issue is that most DCS players are not actually pilots and have no training. Some of them are even actively opposed to following procedure. What you see players doing cannot be compared to trained and experienced pilots in real life - put a DCS player in an actual Hornet and you'll probably see a very abrupt tailstrike just like you do ingame.

• Thanks 1

On 12/4/2021 at 1:36 PM, rossmum said:

The issue is that most DCS players are not actually pilots and have no training. Some of them are even actively opposed to following procedure. What you see players doing cannot be compared to trained and experienced pilots in real life - put a DCS player in an actual Hornet and you'll probably see a very abrupt tailstrike just like you do ingame.

Opposed to procedure??? 😲 For shame!