Bugged Mission 15 & Bugged Runways

TheCoyoteHunter

Had this posted in Raven One by accident, deleted and moved it over here.

Hello,

Some bugs/issues to report.

1. I cannot complete mission 15. I get to anchor point and get called to take out the SU27s, then I get told to go back to Steer point 2, when I get back there, there is a message "Abort, not authorized to fire missile" or something like that. Also message/dialog "Did that frog-foot crash back there?" Mission ends automatically after that, It seems like there are multiple triggers happening at once. I tried 1 time without firing any missiles, just get the SU27s to come after me and fly back to anchor point, same thing happened.  Not sure what's going on, I have tried it several times with the same thing happening.

2. Most of the time ATC will send you to the incorrect runway, when not following the ATC orders and going to the other end, you get the normal player flight to wingman saying Normal Take off, flaps extended etc... This dialogue doesn't happen when obeying ATC. On some missions there are vehicles parked blocking your wingman from joining you, as well as sometimes your wingman will take a long time before following you down the taxi way. To fix the runway issue you just need to add some wind to make ATC send you to the planned end of runway.

What I did to get around the runway issue is, I taxi to the mission creator intended end of the runway, wait till I get the take off dialog, then turn around and taxi down to the other end, the one ATC had said. This way your wingman comes with you. But as said there are at least 2 missions where there is a vehicle parked right in front of your wingman. It takes a while but eventually the parked vehicle will drive away, then your wingman will follow.

Other than this its been a pretty good campaign, I'd just like to be able to fly without worrying about breaking the mission(s).

Coyote

Edited by TheCoyoteHunter

"The problem with internet quotes is it is very hard to determine their authenticity." --Abraham Lincoln

DCS: FC3, FA-18C Hornet, Supercarrier, P-51D Mustang, F-5E Tiger II, A-10C II Tank Killer, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Normandy 2.0, WWII Assets Pack.

Found a You Tube video from back in 2018 on how the mission plays out.

When I try to do the same the mission automatically ends right after getting back to waypoint 2 after engaging the Flankers, saying something like "Unauthorized release of weapons/missile".

Here is the video from 2018

"The problem with internet quotes is it is very hard to determine their authenticity." --Abraham Lincoln

DCS: FC3, FA-18C Hornet, Supercarrier, P-51D Mustang, F-5E Tiger II, A-10C II Tank Killer, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Normandy 2.0, WWII Assets Pack.

Bugs happen, especially after new updates. Are you on stable or beta? If beta, you can try to downgrade to the stable. Otherwise just wait for the fix.

What does debriefing say? Probably Frogfoots are not supposed to die, but they do now, and that triggers the end of mission. What was your wingman doing?

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Thanks draconus,

I'm on the latest Stable release. I know updates can break things, I just posted here so the campaign's developers know that there is an issue and work towards fixing it.

One of the Frogfoots die to friendly fire, which is how its supposed to go.

I was able to complete the mission last night after trying a few different things. What worked is, when engaging the 3 SU27s, do not use TWS and take out all 3. Only take out 2, the 3rd one will disengage and you will be told to disengage and go back to wp2. It never tells you to only take out 2, so before I TWS'ed all 3 and that seemed to break the mission. Also when you do not take any of them out, you fail the mission for the same reason "Unauthorized use of weapons". 

Its a great campaign, just needs a bit of catching up with the newer version(s) of DCS.

Coyote

I'll chime in to note that mission 9 definitely has the issue Coyote described with wrong runway/wind direction and vehicle blocking your wingman.  I waited a long time and the vehicle never moved.

Campaign is awesome, looking forward to the fix.  Thank you for all the great work keeping this up to date.

Cheers!

Hi mwgorrel,

To get the vehicle to move, do the following...

As soon as jet is started, taxi down to the opposite end of the runway. (not the one ATC tells you, go to the other end)

Once there, there will be the usual  spoken dialog where #1 says the take off stuff to #2, do not take off but turn around and go back the way you came, once you get to the vehicle that blocking #2, taxi a little bit further and stop, the vehicles there will start to move away (may take a minute or 2), just make sure that you are not blocking them. #2 will then be able to follow you and you will have your wingman. (When turning around on the runway you may need to hold down the F-15Cs high gain steering to turn sharper, I think default key is "S")

The incorrect end of runway is an easy fix for the campaign devs, they need to add/adjust the wind so that ATC sends you to their desired end of runway.

Coyote

• Thanks 1

Thanks @feefifofum 

Its a great campaign, I'll wait for the next stable update then play through it again.

I'll let you guys know how it runs.

Coyote

• 1 year later...
On 11/29/2021 at 6:44 PM, feefifofum said:

Hi @TheCoyoteHunter! Thanks for the reports. These issues have been reported and resolved, and the current open beta includes the fixed versions of the missions. You can update your installation to Open Beta for the time being, or wait for the next merge of OB and stable.

At least some of the issues reported were not fixed, or have returned, in the current openbeta. Last night I tried Mission 15. When tasked against the Flankers I locked all four of them in TWS mode and rippled 4 AMRAMMs, getting 3 kills. The fourth one turned back. Then I returned to WP 2 for further orders. Upon receiving orders against the inbound Fulcrums I again locked both in TWS mode, but almost instantly got a mission failed message alleging an unauthorized weapons release. But I had not fired on them. I have a screenshot to prove it, showing that  I still had 4 AIM-120C on board at the time I received the message. BTW, my wingman insists on taking on the Frogfoots, and gets a SAM up the nose as a result.

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

Please attach a track or .ACMI if possible. It is very difficult to tell exactly what the problem is without seeing the AI's behavior.

Flight -> Go To -> Return to Formation will cause your wingman to disengage and return to you. You can direct the wingman to attack a specific target by locking it and using the Attack My Target radio command. The Attack My Enemy command will direct the wingman to attack the aircraft engaging you. Unfortunately, beyond the commands you issue as a player, we as designers have little control over the AI wingman's behavior.

I just ran the mission without experiencing ROE issues in the current OB build 2.8.2.35759

Please try again at your convenience and if you have any further issues, please share a .TRK or .ACMI if possible to help diagnose the problem. Individual users' systems can also affect certain issues, particular AI crashing (which was likely the cause of the false ROE violation.) Avoid using time acceleration to limit the risk of these kinds of crashes.

• 1 month later...

I've run into the same "problem"...Miz#15 : objective appears to be to intercept the Flankers and leave the Frogfoots(feet?) alone.  One of the Su-25 will get shot down by a MANPAD.  However, my wingman decides to leave me and go after the Su-25s and takes at least one out.  I continue and get three of the Flankers, and after the fight we rejoin and go to cover Lizard flight attacking the convey.  At this point we get the "...broken ROE..." message and the mission aborts.

File attached for information. 

I will try it again and see if I can keep Dodge 4-2 on a tighter rein!  🤪

Tacview-20230314-194252-DCS-F15C TGW M15.zip.acmi

PC -> i5-12400F, 32GB RAM, RTX 3060 Ti, dedicated SSD.  T16000 HOTAS.  Opentrack/PS3 Camera & MSI monitor(s)...(Reality, virtual or otherwise, makes me feel a little nauseous.)

Was this in the stable build or the current OB?

Thanks for the TacView! These or tracks tend to shed a little more light on the situation. If you can attach the full file, I can see which aircraft cause the violation; the trimmed section only shows your wingman going after the Frogfoots. On that note, targeting the Flankers and ordering your wingman to specifcally "engage my target" will help. The "engage bandits" command sets him on the closest contact he is aware of, which may be the Frogfoots depending on where you are relative to Gori when the call to intercept comes in.

Edited by feefifofum

11 hours ago, feefifofum said:

Was this in the stable build or the current OB?

Thanks for the TacView! These or tracks tend to shed a little more light on the situation. If you can attach the full file, I can see which aircraft cause the violation; the trimmed section only shows your wingman going after the Frogfoots. On that note, targeting the Flankers and ordering your wingman to specifcally "engage my target" will help. The "engage bandits" command sets him on the closest contact he is aware of, which may be the Frogfoots depending on where you are relative to Gori when the call to intercept comes in.

I've never been clear on how "engage my target" works. Do I need an SST hard lock, or is a TWS soft lock sufficient? And if I drop the lock to attack a different target in the same group will the AI maintain its focus on the one it was assigned initially?

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

Soft lock should be sufficient; if the wingman responds in the affirmative he should go after your primary TWS or STT target; once he is in proximity to the group, he should automatically select the next relevant target from the group as you will have now closed the distance. Once the wingman has committed, you are free to switch targets. He should stay focused on whatever he is attacking until it's dead or he needs to go defensive.

Edited by feefifofum

• 2 weeks later...

I will make you a track. i have tried 3 times now with the same results. 

Spoiler

After the Frogfoots and the Flankers Player Flight is told to anchor at bulls and monitor the hellos. When the friendly AI F-15's are told to commit to the Fencers (if im not mistaken), thats when you get a message saying that you were not authorized to fire.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been pulling my hair out with this mission, glad I found this message board to see that I'm not doing anything wrong.  Last night, I tried killing just 3 of the flankers (using TWS) and letting the fourth guy escape, but I still got the ROE message.  I never told my wingman to engage anything, so he was pretty much just acting as a meat shield, to ensure that he didn't kill that last flanker.  I saved the .trk file and the debrief, if @feefifofum would like to see them.

I've been loving the campaign, I wish there were more like it!