A few thoughts from a G2 noob...

Svsmokey

So I was forced , kicking and screaming , into getting a G2 as DevilZuck is about to brick my RiftS . Would have preferred to wait for one of the micro-OLED-pancake-lensed options coming next year , but there ya go . Thanks Zuck 😞

Having said that , I find the G2 to be much less of a hassle to setup and tweak than I was led to believe on this forum . I changed one setting in WMR (more about which later) and turned on motion smoothing in Steam VR-and that's it ! All other settings changes were in the DCS menu to maximise eye candy , and ended up being quite high (Ultra clouds and view distance , default shadows , high water and textures , maxed sliders etc) with apparently some headroom left for further experimentation (effects and maybe pd>1.0) . In testing (very) low over Batumi , I'm running butter-smooth rolling and pulling the Hornet and panning my view looking out the sides with a stock-clocked cpu and incidentally , quite low cpu and gpu temps and frametimes in the 11-13 ms range  . Me so happy !

I think what made all this possible are two things .

(1)The Rift i ran on the same system required 1.4 pd and 2x MSAA to mitigate aliasing , while the Reverb looks better than the Rift ever did using 1.0 and NO MSAA or SS .

(2) I set the 'verb to run at 60 hz in the WMR settings menu . I guess I am one of those fortunates who doesn't see the occasionally-reported flicker , and running at "native" hz makes for a maximally smooth experience , while the lower hz results in a lot more eye-candy !

Did i mention the controllers ? Horrible clunky cheap-feeling things compared to the Oculus ones I'm accustomed to , but i only use one for Steam VR settings so no biggie .

And a bit of weirdness . For some reason , i can't go past 50% in Steam VR even at DCS' lowest settings without compromising performance-even 60% causes massive stutters . But I can run 2x MSSA smoothly with only slightly compromised eye-candy settings and full performance .

I sure am looking forward to getting my VR Optician lenses , as right now I'm leaving the lens protectors on to avoid scratching with my glasses .

Many thanks to Speed and Thud for all their work in helping us understand the G2 .

• Like 4

9700k , Aorus Pro wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Hotas on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2

"Hold my beer"

Zitat

I find the G2 to be much less of a hassle to setup and tweak than I was led to believe on this forum

Yeah it isnt much of a thing to set up. However WMR is a POS bloatware type of crap. I suppose the oculus software, despite being from facebook (meta bla bla) is one of the few things, after better controller tracking for open world games, I miss from my Rift S. WMR and SteamVR and DCS's dodgy implementation of VR can lead to some issues, I personnally experienced it but it wasnt something that wasnt fixed with a simple Steam-Headset-Game-Restart loop.

Don't get your hopes up too much. I had perfect 45 frames on a "80 ground units"-quickflight PG game, but when I was trying some semi-sized DCS Liberation Mission I had some rather unpleasent low fps on the carrier before t/o and when landing.

When (if, lol) ED manages to refactor their decade old codebase and implements Vulkan and proper Multicore support we might see some alleviation. XPlane-11 managed to squeeze some real performance out of Vulkan. For that to happen ED has to rewrite their codebase which ist by no means an easy task. Having to dig in other peoples code and redoing it is probably one of the most ungrateful tasks you can get. trust me.

Awesome ! And the VROptician lenses are super great your gonna like them a lot. I went for the vrwave lense first and didn’t like them as they would fall off at times and the design was alittle to boxy lookin and would scrape my bridge of my nose when I would lift the headset up to peek at my keyboard… Hated them ! But I think they changed the design now. 

• Like 1

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 4.8-4.9 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090 NV Driver 496.76 - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - TM Warthog Hotas & TPR Rudder pedals - Monstertech Deck Mounts - TrackerIR w/ProClip -HP G2 - Tacview

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base - F16SRGRH Stick - Open Beta 2.7

Start Date April 2020 - Callsign  " M a k o "

Yeah , i used VROptician on both my CV1 and RiftS , and would recommend no other .

• Like 2

9700k , Aorus Pro wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Hotas on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2

"Hold my beer"

Yeah honestly they're all eazy peazy setup...  

I think many people decide their solution is the best and/or decide some other solution is "dumb" and just talk complete crap.

regarding your 60% steam setting....  Disable MSAA.  Set the Steam settings to 100% for both settings.  They actually are combined.  So if you have the main SteamVR res setting at 150%, then the per game setting at 100%, you're getting 150%.  Set them both to 100% and re-test after turning off 2x MSAA.  If you don't like it without MSAA you can always go back.

Win-10 x64

Nvidia RTX2080 (HP Reverb)

Asus Prime X570P

AMD 3800x

32GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals

Using VJoy and UCR to remap Throttle and Clutch into Rudder axis

I love my VROptician lenses ... they have been superb.

So what's this new "micro-OLED-pancake-lensed options" coming next year?

Now: Water-cooled Ryzen 5800X + 32GB DDR 4 3200 RAM + EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra 24 GB + Reverb G2 + Add-on PCI-e 3.1 card + 2x1TB Corsair M.2 4900/4200 + TM HOTAS Warthog + TM TPR Pendular Rudder  'Engaged Defensive' YouTube Channel

Modules: F/A-18C / AV-8B / F-16 / Persian Gulf / Syria / Nevada 

Backup: Water-cooled i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz + 32GB DDR4 3200MHz + GTX 1080 8GB + 1TB M.2 1k drive & 250GB SSD drive 500MBps 4K 40" monitor + TrackIR 5

1 hour ago, C3PO said:

I love my VROptician lenses ... they have been superb.

So what's this new "micro-OLED-pancake-lensed options" coming next year?

Varjo , Arpara are in the hands of reviewers (only) now , more mainstream brands are rumored to be in development .

"Hold my beer"

5 minutes ago, Steel Jaw said:

What does this mean?

It means that beginning Jan 1 , you must have a Facebook account to use an Oculus headset .

"Hold my beer"

6 minutes ago, Steel Jaw said:

I recall reading recently that due to blowback, idiot data-mining fb is re-thinking that.

Yeah that is what I have heard, they are supposed to be ending that requirement sometime early in 2022.

Of course Meta though may have other ways to capture one's data lol.

Edited by dburne

Don B

My VKB Gunfighter MK III Pro L Review

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.2 GHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |VKB GF MK III Pro L Ultimate Grip| Virpil CM3 Throttle |Reverb G2 | Valve Index| Vive Pro 2 |

On 11/23/2021 at 3:50 PM, Steel Jaw said:

I recall reading recently that due to blowback, idiot data-mining fb is re-thinking that.

Any company that seriously considers this sort of behavior is off my list.  Doesn't matter if the people convince them not to.  Don't care.  they should know not to try.

Win-10 x64

Nvidia RTX2080 (HP Reverb)

Asus Prime X570P

AMD 3800x

32GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals

Using VJoy and UCR to remap Throttle and Clutch into Rudder axis

15 minutes ago, M1Combat said:

Any company that seriously considers this sort of behavior is off my list.  Doesn't matter if the people convince them not to.  Don't care.  they should know not to try.

Same list as google, another data miner, always was, nobody who knows the score should be using degenerate google.

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

On 11/22/2021 at 7:07 PM, Svsmokey said:

Yeah , i used VROptician on both my CV1 and RiftS , and would recommend no other .

I have to use 1.75x "readers" on my flatscreens, using the G2 everything is clear, sometimes better clarity in one eye vs. the other regardless of lens setting. I'm going to make an appointment with the optometrist to see if any correction is needed (and to get the numbers VROptician needs) and at the very least get an exact pupil distance number to set.

Aerocool Mid-tower, Gigabyte Z390 Master MB, EVGA 1000w PS / Intel i9-9900K @4.7Gz - Nfortec Hydrus V2 Liquid CPU cooler - Noctua NT-H2 Thermal paste

64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600mhz / 1TB M.2 Crucial Boot Drive (DCS World Beta installed here), 1TB M.2 Data drive, 1TB WD SATA drive

Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 3090 Trinity OC 24GB - Nvidia 496.76 drivers /3 Samsung LC32G53TQWUXEN 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz Win11 Pro Ver.  21H2 - Build 22000.348

TIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS\VirPil stick base, MFG V3 Crosswind Pedals, TM MFDs  on 2 8" Lilliputs/ ICP by Sebastian