Jump to content

Jester & Voice Attack


Beirut
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hello,

 

I'm thinking about getting the Tomcat once the Steam sale starts and was curious if Jester works through Voice Attack. I've seen videos of the Jester wheel - under headtracking command I think - and was wondering if it could be controlled by saying the number beside the desired segment/command? So I can just speak a series of numbers and Jester will do my bidding? Assuming all those commands are on the keyboard of course. It may seem like a bit of a stupid question, but, well, there it is.

 

(My Tomcat free trial only comes back up in about six-weeks.)

 

Thanks.


Edited by Beirut

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello,
 
I'm thinking about getting the Tomcat once the Steam sale starts and was curious if Jester works through Voice Attack. I've seen videos of the Jester wheel - under headtracking command I think - and was wondering if it could be controlled by saying the number beside the desired segment/command? So I can just speak a series of numbers and Jester will do my bidding? Assuming all those commands are on the keyboard of course. It may seem like a bit of a stupid question, but, well, there it is.
 
(My Tomcat free trial only comes back up in about six-weeks.)
 
Thanks.
I would recommend getting Viacom Pro plugin for voice attack with AI RIO add on for communicating with Jester.


Sent from my Samsung Chromebook Plus using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

F-14B, F-16, F-18C, A-10C, F-5E, F-86, FC3, BF-109, FW-190, P-51, Spitfire, UH-1,AJS-37 Viggen, MIG-15, MIG-19, MIG-21, AV-8B Harrier, P-47D

Persian Gulf, Caucuses, NTTR, Normandy, The Channel, Syria

Combined Arms, WWII Assets,Super Carrier

TM Warthog, Virpil VFX,BuddyFox UFC, Saitek Pro Flight quadrant & Switch Panel, Odyssey+ VR, Jet Pad w/ SSA, Voice Attack w/Viacom Pro

GeForce RTX2080TI OC, Intel Core i7-7700K 4.5Ghz, 64GB DDR4, Dedicated 1TB SSD

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, LASooner said:

I would recommend getting Viacom Pro plugin for voice attack with AI RIO add on for communicating with Jester.


Sent from my Samsung Chromebook Plus using Tapatalk
 

 

Thanks. I have looked at Vaicom but there's something about it that makes my very small brain ache a bit. I'm sure I could figure it out, but there was some part of it that looked complicated.

 

But I should assume then that Jester will work with Voice Attack alone, even if not as well as with Vaicom?

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Getting Voice Attack to work with the Jester Menu makes my brain hurt more than getting VAICOM with AI RIO to work.  The reason is that Voice Attack by itself will take your voice commands and translate them to keystrokes.  When you have a dynamic menu system where the keystrokes change, this is a non-starter unless you do the Voice Attack for each item on the menu (e.g. Jester Menu, Option 1, Option 3, etc.).  BTW you can already do this with VAICOM.

VAICOM has a lua plug-in component that communicates directly with DCS, rather than using the menu system.  This means that dynamic/changing menus are a non-factor, you don't have to watch the text menus cycle through, and it's a lot faster and more seamless.  Because it uses the in-game engine, you have more options (use of callsigns, frequency changes, etc.).  Bottom line: it's a game changer and a massive step up from just regular voice recognition.  As for learning it, it can be tricky at first.  Do a few minor things to make sure you get the steps down (you have to do some copy/paste because of how VoiceAttack works), so do small updates at a time, then once you get comfortable with the idiosyncrasies you'll wonder how you got along without it. 


Edited by Home Fries
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Home Fries said:

Getting Voice Attack to work with the Jester Menu makes my brain hurt more than getting VAICOM with AI RIO to work.  The reason is that Voice Attack by itself will take your voice commands and translate them to keystrokes.  When you have a dynamic menu system where the keystrokes change, this is a non-starter unless you do the Voice Attack for each item on the menu (e.g. Jester Menu, Option 1, Option 3, etc.).  BTW you can already do this with VAICOM.

VAICOM has a lua plug-in component that communicates directly with DCS, rather than using the menu system.  This means that dynamic/changing menus are a non-factor, you don't have to watch the text menus cycle through, and it's a lot faster and more seamless.  Because it uses the in-game engine, you have more options (use of callsigns, frequency changes, etc.).  Bottom line: it's a game changer and a massive step up from just regular voice recognition.  As for learning it, it can be tricky at first.  Do a few minor things to make sure you get the steps down (you have to do some copy/paste because of how VoiceAttack works), so do small updates at a time, then once you get comfortable with the idiosyncrasies you'll wonder how you got along without it. 

 

Appreciate the detailed feedback. How I can work with Jester with some sort of voice command is the deal breaker of my possible F-14 purchase. I guess I'll watch more Vaicom tutorials and see if my brain can handle it.

 

Thanks again. 

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's pretty straightforward once you learn the commands.  Much more natural than using the wheel.  The only downside is that when you have multiple targets and you want to STT one of them, it's not as easy to call the number as it is with the wheel (which tells you the BRAA in each pie slice).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Home Fries
Are all commands in the Jester wheel included in that plugin? 

I'm using VoiceMacro here and I'm pretty happy with it, the only real problem I'm encountering is what you mentioned about the dynamic Jester wheel, which changes depending of whether your radar is on / off, whether you have an STT lock, etc. 

I was about to start a thread asking HB to duplicate ALL Jester wheel commands in the bindings list (under Jester AI), so we can set all macros independently of the damned wheel.


Edited by Hardcard
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Beirut

If you can't figure it out, try VoiceMacro, it's free, it has no profile / macro limit and it works quite well (as long as your mic is configured properly and you make command tests before alt tabbing back to DCS)

 

Here's the tomcat B profile I'm currently using (40 commands so far), you can import it:
 

Tomcat B.xml
 

PS: You'll need to modify some of the commands in that profile, since they rely on custom bindings I made (under Jester AI).
Also, the six communication commands at the bottom of the list use the "ç" key ( OEM_2 (? /) ), which your keyboard might not have... they're pretty specific to the server I usually fly in, so you can just ignore / delete them.


Edited by Hardcard
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Hardcard said:

@Beirut

If you can't figure it out, try VoiceMacro, it's free, it has no profile / macro limit and it works quite well (as long as your mic is configured properly and you make command tests before alt tabbing back to DCS)

 

Here's the tomcat B profile I'm currently using (40 commands so far), you can import it:
 

Tomcat B.xml 66.86 kB · 1 download
 

PS: You'll need to modify some of the commands in that profile, since they rely on custom bindings I made (under Jester AI).
Also, the six communication commands at the bottom of the list use the "ç" key ( OEM_2 (? /) ), which your keyboard might not have... they're pretty specific to the server I usually fly in, so you can just ignore / delete them.

 

 

I'll take a look. Thanks. :thumbup:

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

To answer the original question, yes, it is possible to command the Jester wheel using VoiceAttacked keystrokes. This is what I have done in my VoiceAttack profile that you can find here:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3308776/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...