What am I doing wrong to hit a moving target with a GBU-12 ?

JTFF-Marco

Well title explains it all, here is a small video of me not understanding why I can't get my TD Box to follow a mooving tank in order to drop a GBU-12 on it. I must be doing something wrong or something changed because I did it a lot of them in the past. Any help appreciated. Thanks ! 

Last OB update from the 18/11/2021

Edited by JTFF-Marco

Laser off?

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

Well,, i know you didnt actually release a bomb in the video, so I am assuming when you do, the LASER is actually turned on, and additionally, did you set the laser code to 1688 in the IFC?

Maybe you should post a video of your actual attempt?

Edited by Fakum

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

Indeed my issue is more SPI related I guess the title of the topic could be wrong sorry. 

Did you try using the laser to see if it updates the SPI instead of slewing the TGP?

I did not I will try to see if it does. 

So for clarification, here is my question/issue

Let's say I am at FL200, I get a GMT return, GMTT, use TMS right to get the TGP on that location and see a moving convoy of Tanks. 

--> TGP SOI, and at 15nm from the convoy I go TMS Forward, setting the TGP as SPI and entering a Point Track on the lead Tank. Well while i keep following the Tank on point track the SPI is actually on the ground location where was that Tank when I entered Point track. And my CCRP release cues are pointing me to that location for the drop. So when 45-50 seconds later I get a release cue the convoy is 45-50 seconds away from that location and depending on his speed it might be out of reach of the LGB, or the LGB might never catch the laser as it's lasing to far away from the reference point used to calculate release point/time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think there's possibly a legitimate issue here. One is potentially a bug, that the (HUD) target designator doesn't follow the targeting pod generated SPI. I don't know if that's accurate as-is for the F-16 though. I will say that attacking a moving target from the front with GBU-12s is a bit of a gamble.  Often times from the front, the seeker will never acquire the laser with its narrow FOV.  AFAIK, the ballistic solution isn't based on a moving target, it only calculates a solution based on a stationary target.  If attacking from the front makes the most sense for other tactical reasons, it might be best to drag the TGP well in front of the target before release, drop, then reacquire the target, then lase.  

I just now tested hitting a BTR-80 going 45 kts on a straight road (from rear aspect) with no TGP trickery, just keeping on the target in point track. It appears to be updating the SPI position through the TGP.

Edited by Mike5560
  • Like 1

• ED Team

I will take a look. 

Please in the future attach a short track replay showing the problem. 

Thanks

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2