Who or what is tracking me?

CBStu

Slowly but surely I am learning and using more FA-18 features but I don't know how to tell who or what is tracking me. Example; I am on a mission primarily to bomb a target. I have 'radar attack' on the right screen, EW on the left, and SA on the lower screen. I have DL and RWR on. I start getting the deedle, deedle, deedle in my ear so I know that I am being tracked. But who or what is doing the tracking? It seems to me this would be good to know but I don't know how to get that info. Is there another system I should have operating? Or is there a different display I should look at? Thanks for any help you can give me.

RWR queues can be displayed in the HMCS (automatically enable when HMCS is on), HUD (EW page > box HUD), and SA Page (SA Page > Sensors > RWR > All, Crit/Leth, Leth (iirc)).

There's a great kneeboard set in the user files that contains listings of all RWR queues and what emitters they correlate to, if that's your question.

The EW page offers the best picture on radars pinging or locking you.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

dorianR666, that is what I am not understanding. There may be 8 SAMs, planes etc arrayed around the EW display. I fly along and suddenly deedle, deedle. But I see nothing different on the EW. One of them went from searching(?) to tracking (?) me but I see nothing to indicate which.

Brass2-1, I will look at that next flight. I have the SA page up but in whatever it's standard mode is. Looks like I need to learn how to select what shows there.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Do you have a video or track of what sound is being played specifically? 'Deedle Deedle' is usually the sound accompanied by the Master Caution, not necessarily the RWR sounds.

Edited by Tholozor
  • Like 1

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

I went looking for sounds and found this tutorial video.

The warning sound I was asking about starts at about 5:05. And now I realize I should probably have looked around for a tutorial before posting a question. I do see why I was missing some info. It is obvious watching the video when the symbol changes shape and moves to the inner ring. That is not so obvious when I am looking elsewhere, maybe setting up a bomb and/or looking at a flir display, and I have many more symbols than the 3-4 in this tutorial. Also I thought the symbol would move inside the ring but it just moves to the ring. I expect I will find several more tutorials when I look in the next couple of days. Thanks a lot to all of you for your help and question which has put me on the right track.

• Like 1

Just an FYI...describing sounds is both tough and subjective *but* most people in the Hornet community use “deedle deedle” for the master caution advisory tone. It was mentioned above as well but just to avoid confusion. 

When examining the HMD or HUD and looking for critical/lethal RWR indications you’ll be looking for a longer “leg”. On the EW page, the threat emitter will have moved to an inner ring on its approximate line of bearing. 

Edit for clarity and spelling

Edited by Brass2-1

22 minutes ago, MrReynolds said:

I miss the DIFFERENT sounds from the F-16 - for different radars.  I don't have the 16 in DCS, but "the other sim" had different sounds for different planes etc.

Now I'm thinking I've imagined this as I can't find many videos on YouTube, but I'm sure there's more variation....

No such thing for the Hornet's AN/ALR-67 - what we have ingame is what there is IRL, with regards to sounds. Not entirely sure about the Viper, but keep in mind that "the other sim" modeled various different RWR systems, not only the AN/ALR-56 we have in DCS. The 56 is accurate as well, though, with no different sounds for specific aircraft, unless I am awfully mistaken.

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

On 11/20/2021 at 4:23 PM, CBStu said:

Slowly but surely I am learning and using more FA-18 features but I don't know how to tell who or what is tracking me. Example; I am on a mission primarily to bomb a target. I have 'radar attack' on the right screen, EW on the left, and SA on the lower screen. I have DL and RWR on. I start getting the deedle, deedle, deedle in my ear so I know that I am being tracked. But who or what is doing the tracking? It seems to me this would be good to know but I don't know how to get that info. Is there another system I should have operating? Or is there a different display I should look at? Thanks for any help you can give me.

My bet is that the deedle, deedle could be the anti ice warning, try to turn on ANTI ICE ENG to ON on the right consol and see if it stops.

The RWR starts to deedle the moment a radar is put into the inner circle range. Especially on MP servers enemy AI radar can track you pointlessly for minutes and the RWR in the Hornet is totally annoying in this case, constantly and unbearably deedling at you. I have no idea how the designers of the RWR could come up with the idea to increase the pilots stress level so much by playing this deafening deedle tune in critical situations like these.

Yeah I know I can turn it down but this defeats the whole RWR concept in some way.

The "you are being tracked" RWR sounds in other aircraft are much more bearable and less occupying for your nerves.

Actually the default RWR track warning sound is one of things I hate most in the Hornet.

8 minutes ago, Rongor said:

The RWR starts to deedle the moment a radar is put into the inner circle range. Especially on MP servers enemy AI radar can track you pointlessly for minutes and the RWR in the Hornet is totally annoying in this case, constantly and unbearably deedling at you. I have no idea how the designers of the RWR could come up with the idea to increase the pilots stress level so much by playing this deafening deedle tune in critical situations like these.

Yeah I know I can turn it down but this defeats the whole RWR concept in some way.

The "you are being tracked" RWR sounds in other aircraft are much more bearable and less occupying for your nerves.

Actually the default RWR track warning sound is one of things I hate most in the Hornet.

image.jpeg

• Like 2

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

And very important thing to remember - RWR doesn't show "someone is locking you"! It shows, that it receives tracking signal from radar, but it doesn't necessery mean it tracks you. It can be plane far behind you or far in front of you.

I had situation when RWR showed lock from fight that took place over 120 nm from me, I just was in a stright line from emiting radar locking some one over there.

Obrazek

3 hours ago, Shimmergloom667 said:

No such thing for the Hornet's AN/ALR-67 - what we have ingame is what there is IRL, with regards to sounds. Not entirely sure about the Viper, but keep in mind that "the other sim" modeled various different RWR systems, not only the AN/ALR-56 we have in DCS. The 56 is accurate as well, though, with no different sounds for specific aircraft, unless I am awfully mistaken.

Indeed.  Wouldn't have it any other way.

Still miss the Viper sounds ;-)