So i went back to 2d

... For 20 minutes. 

I wanted the nicer graphics and smoother visuals so i reinstalled track ir and gave it an honest try. 

But despite VR being so bad in DCS , i can not stand 2D anymore. 
It feels so disconnected, it's hard to explain the feeling but it's horrible. 

God i wish ED would put some more effort in VR, it's the only good way to play this 😞 

• Like 4

VR is quite good now with high res headsets such as the Vive Pro 2 (and I’d imagine the Reverb G2 also).  I do everything including mission editing in VR.  With newer gen headsets from next year on things should be even better, the only catch is to have a top-end CPU and GPU to minimize bad experiences.  I get much better framerate in DCS compared to MSFS so I can’t really complain. 

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Only thing I don't like about VR is the sweat.  I find myself having to take it off and wipe my face every 20 minutes or so.  Before the foam pad gets wet.  I do have VR Cover but it just gets sticky and slippery rather than getting wet.

How do everyone else deal with it?

Only thing I don't like about VR is the sweat.  I find myself having to take it off and wipe my face every 20 minutes or so.  Before the foam pad gets wet.  I do have VR Cover but it just gets sticky and slippery rather than getting wet.
I only suffer in the UKs 2 week summer! But on a serious note I've seen mention of people using desk fans or similar to counteract the HMD heat build up with good success.

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

Went from VR back to TrackIr months ago......the technology isn't there yet as far as I'm concerned.

Ryzen 9 7950X3D - MSI MAG X670E TomaHawk MB, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 AIO

64gig Corsair DDR5@6000, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 AORUS

Winwing Super Taurus, Orion2, TO / Combat panels, Collective with Topgun MIP

Winwing Skywalker pedals, NLR Boeing Mil Edition Simpit, Trackir

8 hours ago, Taz1004 said:

$5 USB fan. The small amount of circulating airflow will prevent the air trapped between your face and the headset from increasing its temperature.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

1 minute ago, Ala12Rv-Tundra said:

$5 USB fan. The small amount of circulating airflow will prevent the air trapped between your face and the headset from increasing its temperature.

I have been using USB hand fan.  It helps but doesn't eliminate it.

23 hours ago, Taz1004 said:

I have been using USB hand fan.  It helps but doesn't eliminate it.

What about those fan devices which hang from your neck, they are like U-shaped and run on Batteries 

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

45 minutes ago, Ala12Rv-Tundra said:

What about those fan devices which hang from your neck, they are like U-shaped and run on Batteries 

I don't think it's the air.  I think it's more to do with the foam pressed against my face for too long.  I'm thinking of cutting parts of the foam so less area touches my face.

Mine doesn’t even touch my face. No VR goggle face print like a raccoon either.

It’s an el’cheapo AirSoft helmet, not rated for impact. The adapter is a clone Wilcox NVG adapter, all aluminum. You can adjust up down, in, out, tilt up down too. The yellow thing is simply a 3D printed PLA holder. I have since replaced the rubber band with a better bungie coord, as designed. You do have to scroll saw the front lip of the plastic helmet a bit to accommodate the goggle.

Everybody follow Luckey’s ski goggle design and improved on it. But everybody forgot that the real problem is that you are hanging some weight cantilever and you need something to counter that torque. Your head with long COVID-19 hair simply is a bad thing to generate that counter-torque. The forehead plate is in the right direction, but not enough. Anybody who have wore a k-pot in the bootcamp knows that thing with just one strap rolls forward and backward on its own will, particularly when you are sweating like a pig. That problem has already been solved! The 2nd chin strap from your chin to the back of your head provides the counter torque.

It’s still uncomfortable wearing it for long with the goggle flipped up. But for flipping up to look at your pancake to alt-tab or adjust something quickly, it’s perfectly fine.

I am in a mind to hang some horse blind on both side to block out the reflections. And perhaps an audio headphone and mic?

E21D16D0-5D4A-46B1-A8B9-097D56874716.jpeg

A55F0868-BCD9-4196-A2B2-49036869F131.jpeg

Edited by Hempstead
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Hempstead said:

Mine doesn’t even touch my face. No VR goggle face print like a raccoon either.

It’s an el’cheapo AirSoft helmet, not rated for impact. The adapter is a clone Wilcox NVG adapter, all aluminum. You can adjust up down, in, out, tilt up down too. The yellow thing is simply a 3D printed PLA holder. I have since replaced the rubber band with a better bungie coord, as designed. You do have to scroll saw the front lip of the plastic helmet a bit to accommodate the goggle.

Everybody follow Luckey’s ski goggle design and improved on it. But everybody forgot that the real problem is that you are hanging some weight cantilever and you need something to counter that torque. Your head with long COVID-19 hair simply is a bad thing to generate that counter-torque. The forehead plate is in the right direction, but not enough. Anybody who have wore a k-pot in the bootcamp knows that thing with just one strap rolls forward and backward on its own will, particularly when you are sweating like a pig. That problem has already been solved! The 2nd chip strap from your chin to the back of your head provides the counter torque.

It’s still uncomfortable wearing it for long with the goggle flipped up. But for flipping up to look at your pancake to alt-tab or adjust something quickly, it’s perfectly fine.

I am in a mind to hang some horse blind on both side to block out the reflections. And perhaps an audio headphone and mic?

E21D16D0-5D4A-46B1-A8B9-097D56874716.jpeg

A55F0868-BCD9-4196-A2B2-49036869F131.jpeg

Holy crap.  Looks cool tho.

I ended up doing this.  Simpler.  It's the forehead that was getting irritated probably because I have sensitive skin.  This way, only side of my face touch the foam.  Plus, I can spread the foams apart too.  That's the old Vive 1 foam pad I cut up.

20211118_234332.jpg

Edited by Taz1004

LMAO

I saw the title of this thread and thought WTH???? Who could ever go back to 2D after flying in VR? Even though I'm on a lowly Rift S the immersion is unbelievable and I could never fly again in 2d. It would be like going from UHD TV to an old black and white with rabbit ears.... and yeah I'm sure there's more than a few of you who can relate to that comparison. lol

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Auger said:

Who could ever go back to 2D after flying in VR? Even though I'm on a lowly Rift S ...

I could. Sold my rift S after few month. Was in love at first despite the nausea. Nausea subsided, but I couldn't bear seeing the world through diving mask. 

Waiting for a headset with nice FOV and deep sweet spot. The upcoming pumas looks promising,  but the $$$... will need to save up.

Anton.

My pit build thread .

Simple and cheap UFC project

On 11/17/2021 at 8:06 AM, Csgo GE oh yeah said:

Well even with a top end cpu and GPU it's still quite bad performance wise if you compare the graphics between 2d and VR. 

To be fair - that will always be. VR requires 2 separate renders - 2D only requires one, so regardless of technology improvements - 2D will always have better performance. If VR gets 500FPS, 2D will probably be 800 or more. I would suggest that instead of comparing one to the other, it's a matter of drawing a line as to what is acceptable and not with VR, otherwise you're destined for disappointment forever if continuing to compare 2D to 3D. 

• Like 2