LOST cue is updated based on A/C parameters, not the missile.

MARLAN_

The LOST cue is updated based on A/C parameters, instead of the missile. This means that if you launch a missile on the edge of RMAX (for example) and then crank in any direction, you will immediately get a LOST cue, despite the missile being fine, this is due to your nose causing your WEZ to move, even though the missile is already in flight. This can be very confusing to anyone unaware of the bug, thinking their missiles are lost when they are not.

If you watch the NIRD circle, the LOST cue is displayed as soon as it moves up past RMAX

LOSTcue.trk

Edited by MARLAN_
  • Like 1

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.

You can think of this like shooting a gun. If you point the gun at a target and shoot, then point the gun at the ground afterward, it doesn't affect the bullet in-flight. Of course, the next bullet under the trigger would hit the ground given the current parameters, but the bullet that's already in flight is on its way. Maneuvering the barrel "post launch" has no impact on the in-flight bullet. Thus, post launch calculations must account for this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RoxSy said:

I thought the AMRAAM needed some early guidance by the A/C radar before going active ...

Yes, but this is a different issue.

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.

3 hours ago, RoxSy said:

''The LOST cue is updated based on A/C parameters, instead of the missile.''

There is definitely something I did not understand though ...

LOST cue should display when the MC does not predict an intercept due to kinematics.

For example, shooting outside of RMAX, or shooting inside RMAX, but then the bandit drags, defeating your missile.

Currently, this calculation is based on your ownship aircraft parameters, and not your missile in flight, so it will incorrectly display LOST when you begin your crank. The NIRD Ranges are also inaccurate, but that's posted in a different topic 

https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/286632-nird-circle-range-points-are-not-accurate-eg-rmaxrne/#comment-4821965

• Like 3

1A100.png?format=1500w  

@BIGNEWYAny news on this getting reported to the team it's still showing investigating, or the other similar thread? Is more evidence needed?

From my limited knowledge I would think the ranging is probably a straight forward change assuming the team has the current AIM-120 physics modeling easily available? The LOST cue could possibly store/freeze the A/C parameters at launch as a temporary variable? Just 2 shots in the dark, just hoping the issues can get reported!

Thanks!

1A100.png?format=1500w  

• ED Team

Hi, 

the threads are marked investigating, we are in no rush as we want to check and ensure there is actually a problem before we commit dev time to the issue. 

As soon as we are happy there is a problem I will mark the thread reported. 

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team

I have asked the team they have said the behaviour is correct as is. 

If you have any evidence it is not please PM me. 

thanks

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

1 hour ago, BIGNEWY said:

I have asked the team they have said the behaviour is correct as is. 

If you have any evidence it is not please PM me. 

thanks

I think it would probably be common sense you would not get a "LOST" indication (indicating the missile in flight is no longer able to kinematically intercept it's target) due to your ownship heading changing while the missile is already in flight.

I'll see if I can dig up proof but I'm almost certain the current implementation is not accurate. It also causes a ton of confusion (I've had at least 10 people be confused now thinking their missiles are lost when they crank).

1A100.png?format=1500w  

• ED Team
4 minutes ago, MARLAN_ said:

I think it would probably be common sense you would not get a "LOST" indication (indicating the missile in flight is no longer able to kinematically intercept it's target) due to your ownship heading changing while the missile is already in flight.

I'll see if I can dig up proof but I'm almost certain the current implementation is not accurate. It also causes a ton of confusion (I've had at least 10 people be confused now thinking their missiles are lost when they crank).

I have asked the team and we are not seeing a bug here, I can not ask them to change something without some evidence. 

thanks

What is logical sense of cuing LOST based on plane flight path, not missile's? Missile is allready in flight, I can and should do crankcing monouver, but when I do, I'll get LOST cue, because PLANE is outside of "kinetic range", but missile is doing fine. How can I use time to active cue and time to target cue if they disapear in the moment of evasive manouver... That's stupid.

Edited by Foka
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BIGNEWY said:

I have asked the team and we are not seeing a bug here, I can not ask them to change something without some evidence. 

thanks

LOST is displayed when time-to-go is decreased to zero. It refers to the last missile in flight. It in no way refers to the jet's kinematic state after the missile is launched.

742-100, page 274. PM'd the specific parts.

Edited by Harker
  • Like 9

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

23 hours ago, Harker said:

LOST is displayed when time-to-go is decreased to zero. It refers to the last missile in flight. It in no way refers to the jet's kinematic state after the missile is launched.

742-100, page 274. PM'd the specific parts.

FRM-000 also explains the kinematic portion of LOST.

Ill PM that as well to BN once I get off work. (PM'D)

Edited by MARLAN_
  • Like 5

1A100.png?format=1500w  

• 1 month later...

I think I did a poor job of explaining the problem to the team, here's a quick picture to help explain the problem @BIGNEWY

On the top half, the current DCS implementation, the LOST cue is displayed as soon as the blue fighter begins his crank, because the red fighter is no longer inside RMAX, but in that example, the LOST cue should not be displayed at all, because the red fighter has not maneuvered, and is still inside the original WEZ. The blue fighter maneuver should not change the missile in flight (orange arrow) to cause a LOST cue.

On the bottom half, shows how it should work. In this example, the red fighter decides to maneuver, and he exits RMAX, which means the missile (orange arrow) will no longer be able to kinematically intercept its target, thus LOST should display as soon as the red fighter crosses the RMAX boundary.

Additionally, if the red fighter decides to turn back around and flow back towards the missile, causing him to re-enter RMAX, the post launch HUD Time-To-Active/Time-To-Go and RDR ATTK "A" (husky) or flashing "A" (pitbull) will be displayed again.

Untitled-1.png

• Like 5

1A100.png?format=1500w