Winch?

dresoccer4

It's for extending and retracting the HF antenna. It's usually extended once airborne, and retracted before landing.

Currently in DCS it doesn't do anything.

• Like 1

PC: MSI X670E, Ryzen 9 7900X, 64GB DDR5 RAM, RTX 3090 Ti, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight pedals, Opentrack

Link to my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/DieselThunderAviation

Commander, 62nd Virtual Fighter Squadron

Join the 62nd VFS today! Link to our discord server: https://discord.gg/Z25BSKk84s

Patch_v1.2 small.jpg

6 hours ago, Diesel_Thunder said:

It's for extending and retracting the HF antenna. It's usually extended once airborne, and retracted before landing.

Currently in DCS it doesn't do anything.

cool thanks

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

It’s not modelled, neither is the external antennae boom for it - so its useless, and wouldn’t have been fitted to this aircraft anyway, otherwise you would have the corresponding boom for it just behind the access door on external. 

At some stage, they just installed the antennae within the airframe and aircraft then had a whip antennae with the upgraded radios.  We seem to have a franken mossie with equipment that shouldn’t be there or would have been replaced.

in short, if the external antennae boom isn’t there by the access door, the winding gear wouldn’t be there either - so it should be removed. 

should have this on underside by access door:

469122BA-E806-43AE-B76B-F44675AFF1E3.jpeg

if that is not there, then no winding gear. 

Edited by valleyboy
Added photo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, valleyboy said:

At some stage, they just installed the antennae within the airframe and aircraft then had a whip antennae with the upgraded radios.  We seem to have a franken mossie with equipment that shouldn’t be there or would have been replaced.

Agreed, the lack of GEE in particular stings which is a shame as it would be great to see it modelled as they have done a fantastic job on the R1154 & T1154.

I have been looking for the landing gear manual lever, in fact I had assumed this winch was part of that system... where is the manual landing gear located?

8 hours ago, valleyboy said:

should have this on underside by access door:

469122BA-E806-43AE-B76B-F44675AFF1E3.jpeg

if that is not there, then no winding gear. 

I have never seen this before, do you have any other pictures?

Edited by Krupi

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

Now you have highlighted it I am seeing it more often... 😅

Just reading further into this, correct me if I am wrong but if we had the GEE system and whip antenna then this aerial tube would not be installed... 

See these profiles....

LATE V OLD.PNG
Mossie Profiles.PNG
This is rather frustrating as I raised this point numerous times over the last two years...

We have a weird mid way Early and Late war design.

Edited by Krupi

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

This is where I raised the issue regarding Radio Equipment...

Looking into Early V Late differences... we have late war features present on the Underside of the aircraft... the "Additional Access Covers" see the landing gear doors.

Bottom Early V Late.PNG

Screen_211105_191250.png

There is also the bulged navigator side window that equipped late versions....
Bulged Canopy.PNG

Edited by Krupi

Project IX Cockpit

The trailing aerial wasn’t always fitted - bit hit and miss!  apparently again it was an early war piece of equipment, however depending on which factory they were built at some were built with the boom but never had the antennae installed regardless.  And they weren’t always installed on the FB’s - apparently it was more for the B and PR versions and some FB’s.

I have a book floating around here somewhere, from 1943 FB’s (it gives exact frame number) were fitted with GEE from the factory, and any earlier FB’s were usually retrofitted with them - this would then have the whip antennae to replace the mast, the whip sometimes would exit the canopy, and not always installed where the mast was. 

• Like 1