Vive Pro 2 issues now not good- Solved!

dburne

1 minute ago, eaglecash867 said:

Don, you don't have to re-download any of your Steam titles after doing an uninstall/reinstall of Steam.  Have a look at this link... https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/4593-5CB7-DC3C-64F0.  I have had to do this in the past when my CV1 worked just fine with SteamVR and my G2 was having issues.  It fixed those issues.  I mentioned it before in this thread, but you must have missed it.  The whole backup and restore thing with the Steam library was actually a pretty painless process, and I didn't have to reinstall any of my Steam titles...and I have A LOT of them.

Awesome thanks, will do!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

3 minutes ago, dburne said:

Awesome thanks, will do!

Here is an alternative method for backing things up, in case you want to try it.

https://mostechtips.com/how-to-reinstall-steam-without-deleting-games-easily/

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

I did not uninstall Steam. Only Steam VR. and Vive pro (steam version).

Sorry I wasn't clear. 

And I had done most of what you had previously done too. It was the "using the vive install process" that changed things for me (maybe). Instead of installing the software through steam itself. 

I'm on Win 11.

I ordered the aereo as well. I'm excited about my new toy.

Edited by Slick Twitchy

CRX-Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K;4090; Varjo Aero; Winwing UFC/HUD/MFDs/Throttle/PTO Panel/Combat Panel; Winwing F-18 joystick; Buttkickers; Monstertech flight seat; PointCTRL.

6 hours ago, imacken said:

Eh, because it is vastly superior! 

You gotta be F$%&ing kidding me...

Edited by Lurker

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

We all have different priorities.  But, if I think the new OS is messing up my fav headset then it's the OS that has to sit on the sideline until things improve, not the other way around.  I definitely don't have the time or patience to deal with Vive support not to mention shipping/waiting, it's much easier and faster just to reinstall Windows.  I'm usually one of the first to test out new mods or hardware gear but when it comes to OS upgrade I can wait a bit longer for the software to mature since I got burned quite a few times in the past by compat issues with brand new OS.  Having said that I do have Win 11 but it's not on my main gaming PC.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Well I will tell ya, I think maybe I just need to set the Vive Pro 2 aside for a while. Obviously it is not getting along with Windows 11 for me on my system. Yeah I could go through the process of uninstalling Steam and trying that - but then I think why go through the hassle. I have spent a ton of hours on this thing trying to get it to work right and I am just tired.

I have an Index that has zero issues and works great, and a Reverb G2 that has zero issues and works great. With the same games I am trying to play in the Vive Pro 2 and it just craps out with them.

I am not sure HTC has fully tested their software out with Windows 11 yet. So maybe I will set it aside and check it out again in a few weeks.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Just got a response from HTC on the Logs I sent in earlier:

Hello Don, 

Thanks for reaching us back. This is Lucas, a pleasure to help you today.

I appreciate all the information and the time you took testing and sending the logs, from what I can see this issue seems to be related entirely to the update to Windows 11 as we cannot assure the Vive will work properly with this one, there are still glitches and incompatibilities we've had that haven't been fixed, so my recommendation will be to downgrade to Windows 10 if you can, otherwise, I'd recommend you waiting for an update that makes this entirely compatible. 

Take care and have a wonderful day.

Lucas
VIVE

So yeah about what I thought - will be setting it aside for a while as I have no desire to go back to Windows 10 at this point. I will try it again in a month or so and see if anything has changed. Or on their next software update.

Don B

One thing you can also do is run OpenVR benchmark and see what the scores are (with Index, VP2, etc.).  Check if the numbers are similar to comparable system, to see if there is any hint of performance issue with your setup.  The software can standardize SteamVR settings (at 100% SS) for each particular headset.  Mine is around 27 fps with the VP2 which is reported as about average for this particular setup (it will actually tell you this), haven't tested with the Index but the number should be much higher since the rendering pixels are much smaller at 100% and it's probably better optimized for SteamVR.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

6 hours ago, dburne said:

Just got a response from HTC on the Logs I sent in earlier:

So yeah about what I thought - will be setting it aside for a while as I have no desire to go back to Windows 10 at this point. I will try it again in a month or so and see if anything has changed. Or on their next software update.

That response from HTC sounds like ‘we have no idea what your problem is’ BS. 

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Sometimes it is nigh on impossible to get to the bottom of an issue. In the Corporate world the quick fix for a playing up PC is to reimage it - i.e. reload the standard image of OS and applications. With corporate tools it takes a small amount of time, user data is generally stored centrally and any local files are stored in a given place and easy to backup and restore. Windows sometimes just gets itself tied up in knots and poring over logs and replacing drivers and DLLs takes too long or simply never resolves it.

Last year I had and Index for a while and two PCs with Win 10. The Index worked fine on my old PC though it wasn't really powerful enough for DCS it would run it well enough to see it was working ok. On my gaming PC it wasn't recognised at all. I purchased a PCI-E USB card to no avail, tried numerous Windows fixes and spent days before concluding it must be the motherboard. I finally bit the bullet and reinstalled the OS from scratch. The thought of reinstalling all my utilities and drivers for my sim gear including and older direct drive wheel with a fairly complex setup with Granity and MMOS drivers filled me with horror! A few hours later everything was installed and working - including the Index. I didn't even need the PCI-E card.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

Sure, it is difficult to diagnose issue at times. However, the current standard of 'technical' support to consumers from most companies is appallingly low.

The standard procedure is that if the normal troubleshooting steps that they can read off a card don't work, then they have no idea and just ask for the parts to be RMA'd.  Inevitably, that means just replacing the part rather than looking for a solution.  

A perfect example of a company who does actually offer proper tech support is Virpil.  They will talk you through every aspect of getting to the bottom of whatever the issue is.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

6 minutes ago, imacken said:

Sure, it is difficult to diagnose issue at times. However, the current standard of 'technical' support to consumers from most companies is appallingly low.

The standard procedure is that if the normal troubleshooting steps that they can read off a card don't work, then they have no idea and just ask for the parts to be RMA'd.  Inevitably, that means just replacing the part rather than looking for a solution.  

A perfect example of a company who does actually offer proper tech support is Virpil.  They will talk you through every aspect of getting to the bottom of whatever the issue is.

Oh I am not giving excuses for support, I try to avoid as much as possible!

I just think it can be hard to pinpoint issues with PCs which are different and even on similar setups the OS can get screwed over time. Whether the issue here is with Win11 per se or the installation of Win11 over Win10 which could just as easily have happened with Win10 still installed is hard to say. The only proof would be a fresh install of Win11 but that comes at the cost of re-installing everything. Given unlimited time fresh installs are the best way to clear out underlying issues but it can be a daunting task.

• Like 1

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

If I were experiencing glitches in either of my other two headsets I would absolutely consider doing a format and clean install of Windows 11.  But given the fact I don't, they both work beautifully I was already thinking it was a conflict with the HTC software and Windows 11 on my system especially as the issue only began after I installed Windows 11. 

So I will set aside the VP2 for now and use Reverb G2 and Index until either a software update from HTC fixes the issue or my Aero gets here, whichever comes first I guess. I am happy with my Reverb G2 for flight sims, will miss the better horizontal FOV of the Vive Pro 2 but can live with it no problem. Index I will use for other made for VR games, it is still a nice headset with some good SS and that horizontal and vertical FOV is nice.

Thanks for all the suggestions gang.

Edited by dburne

Don B

I should add that when I had the Index that refused to be recognised on one PC I had a Reverb G1 working perfectly. Had I not had the other PC to prove the Index worked I would have returned it as faulty. I still have no idea why the PC didn’t recognise is as the same hardware with same applications worked with a fresh install of windows. Nothing in device manager suggested any issue and the Reverb plugged into the same ports worked fine. Darn finicky these Windows PCs!

1 hour ago, dburne said:

If I were experiencing glitches in either of my other two headsets I would absolutely consider doing a format and clean install of Windows 11.  But given the fact I don't, they both work beautifully I was already thinking it was a conflict with the HTC software and Windows 11 on my system especially as the issue only began after I installed Windows 11. 

So I will set aside the VP2 for now and use Reverb G2 and Index until either a software update from HTC fixes the issue or my Aero gets here, whichever comes first I guess. I am happy with my Reverb G2 for flight sims, will miss the better horizontal FOV of the Vive Pro 2 but can live with it no problem. Index I will use for other made for VR games, it is still a nice headset with some good SS and that horizontal and vertical FOV is nice.

Thanks for all the suggestions gang.

Don, out of interest, what version of the Vive software are you running?

1 hour ago, imacken said:

Don, out of interest, what version of the Vive software are you running?

I have it uninstalled now, but I was running the Beta of Vive Console primarily - also tried the release version as well. I have now both Reverb G2 and Index hooked up, both running beautifully with no issues. Can't remember if I mentioned this but upon checking I had installed Windows 11 on Oct 5th and first started posting on another forum on this issue with my Vive Pro 2 on Oct 7th. 

I am looking forward to actually spending the day gaming rather than troubleshooting LOL.

I will tell you my "uneducated guess" is there is a conflict deep within the Windows 11 security system and the HTC software. Only time I could get the Vive Pro 2 to stop that crazy shaking/stuttering of the image was when I disabled Defender's real time protection. That would not work every time though and the shaking/stuttering image would still come back even with it disabled so that was not a solution.

Edited by dburne

Don B

2 hours ago, dburne said:

I will tell you my "uneducated guess" is there is a conflict deep within the Windows 11 security system and the HTC software. Only time I could get the Vive Pro 2 to stop that crazy shaking/stuttering of the image was when I disabled Defender's real time protection. That would not work every time though and the shaking/stuttering image would still come back even with it disabled so that was not a solution.

My speculation would be around priority of applications. Windows 11 changes how it prioritises to give greater priority to foreground apps. The more things you need running as a package the greater the risk of something being pushed back down the list that needs to be prioritised. Early versions of Windows 10 game mode badly impacted VR because the game was given too much priority over the VR compositor which was treated as a background app. Maybe the Vive software is being treated in the same way, I am making a wild assumption that WMR and SteamVR are recognised as being more than background apps by Windows.

Are you running Game Mode in Windows 11? I currently have it on and seems fine with a Reverb but your Reverb is fine anyway so that proves nothing other than maybe worth trying on and off if you haven't already.

1 hour ago, Baldrick33 said:

My speculation would be around priority of applications. Windows 11 changes how it prioritises to give greater priority to foreground apps. The more things you need running as a package the greater the risk of something being pushed back down the list that needs to be prioritised. Early versions of Windows 10 game mode badly impacted VR because the game was given too much priority over the VR compositor which was treated as a background app. Maybe the Vive software is being treated in the same way, I am making a wild assumption that WMR and SteamVR are recognised as being more than background apps by Windows.

Are you running Game Mode in Windows 11? I currently have it on and seems fine with a Reverb but your Reverb is fine anyway so that proves nothing other than maybe worth trying on and off if you haven't already.

Yeah Game Mode is off on my rig and that is one thing I did not try. If I still had the software installed I would give it a try, but have uninstalled and cleaned out all relevant HTC files and I really do not have a taste for trying it again - at least anytime soon. I will probably install again and check when HTC releases the next beta update to their software. At that time if still does it I will be sure and try it in Game Mode. Currently enjoying some nice trouble free flying in the Reverb G2.

Thanks for the feedback,

Don B

Yeah this message was just posted two hours ago on the Oculus forum. Seems HTC is not the only ones having some compatibility issues with Windows 11. They posted it shortly after I posted on there about my issue with HTC Vive Pro 2 and Windows 11.

Hi there fellow gamers! Since the recent update, Windows 11 has not been compatible with the Quest 2. We know that this is an issue and are working towards new updates. Window 10 is still compatible and recommended for your device.

Edited by dburne

Don B

Ahhh just had a nice full day of completely trouble free VR flying with my Reverb G2. Now that was nice - I needed that!

• Like 2

Don B

This thread was posted over on the MSFS 2020 forums:

VR Mode Smooth, Until The Headset Activates! Quest 2 Stuttering Badly, Regardless of Headroom

Sounds very similar to my issue with Vive Pro 2 and Windows 11. Here's to hoping both HTC and Oculus get this resolved ASAP!

Don B

19 hours ago, dburne said:

Ahhh just had a nice full day of completely trouble free VR flying with my Reverb G2. Now that was nice - I needed that!

Great!

I have just had 2 days of trouble free play on my VP2 and W11.  Never had an issue at all with W11 and the Vive.  Like all these things, if it was a general problem, it would be easy to fix, but if it's only a few, then it's not!

4 hours ago, imacken said:

Great!

I have just had 2 days of trouble free play on my VP2 and W11.  Never had an issue at all with W11 and the Vive.  Like all these things, if it was a general problem, it would be easy to fix, but if it's only a few, then it's not!

Yeah I hope HTC can get to the bottom of this sooner rather than later. 

I have a feeling as more and more users migrate to Windows 11 there will be an increasing number of these reports. I noticed on the Vive Pro 2 website HTC only lists Windows 10 as supported currently.

Edited by dburne

Don B

On 11/28/2021 at 12:02 PM, imacken said:

Great!

@imacken

Couple questions for ya:

When you moved to Windows 11, did you do an in place upgrade or a format and clean install? Did you change any security settings in Windows 11 or leave them at default?

Also are you running Home or Pro version of Windows 11?

Edited by dburne

Don B

Don, I originally did an in-place upgrade from W10 and had no issues. I didn't change any settings at all.

However, I also did a clean install a couple of weeks ago when I got my new Z690 mobo and 12700K CPU, and that has been completely trouble free as well.

I'm running Home version.  Nothing in Pro that interests me.