Multiplayer Server List significantly shorter than it should be

Ravellwolf

I've been having trouble getting a full server list. I don't play multiplayer much, but I do know there should be more than the 100 or so servers I'm seeing. My install has definitely showed a list of over 1000 servers in the past. I had a look to see if anyone else has had a similar issue, but this seems to be a first. Attached is what I'm seeing as well as a log file.

I don't think there is a firewall issue blocking the connection, and I would expect no servers to be visible at all if that were the case. I have the latest DCS OpenBeta version and have done a repair operation to check the integrity of the files. Any suggestions welcome.

Capture.JPG

dcs.log

• Like 2

Still only seeing a few servers in the network game list

Currently running the following versions, which at the time are the most up to date releases of DCS and the updater:

• DCS Version 2.7.7.15038 (Openbeta)
  • DCS Updater Version 2.12.0.97

This is the list of actions I have so far taken to try to resolve this issue.

• Logged out and then back in from within DCS (no effect)
  • Checked IPv6 is enabled in adaptor settings (it is)
  • Checked exception for DCS exists in the firewall (present)
  • Ran DCS with firewall completely turned off (no effect)
  • Ran DCS Update and repair multiple times (no effect)
  • Deleted serverSettings.lua to force reset (no effect)
  • Flushed DNS using ipconfig /flushdns in cmd prompt (no effect)
  • Checked "Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta" for installed location (set correctly)
  • Ran DCS_updater.exe cleanup and repair (full) operation using Windows Powershell (no effect)
  • Tried [Connect by IP] on "Growling Sidewinder Open Conflict Server" and "Aerobatics Online Caucasus", both confirmed to be online and with many players on "https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/personal/server". (Repeated attempts resulted in one successful connection to Growling Sidewinder, otherwise returns "Server offline")
  • Like 2

Maybe disable ipv6, set DNS to something like google or cloudflare dns? (1.1.1.1)

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

And did you check if it's region-specific, if servers from some region don't appear at all?

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

Thanks for the suggestions. I've Set DNS to Google Public DNS 8.8.8.8 with 8.8.4.4 as alternative, but unfortunately no effect. Then disabled IPv6 as well, again no effect.

I don't believe it's region specific, as I'm in Italy but can see a couple of servers from the US, China and others, as you can see in my screenshot.

• Like 1

I've now tried some other things as well,

• Checked UPnP is active on the router, a Huawei R2561. (it is)
  • Created port forwarding list on the router just in case, based on information from https://portforward.com/dcs-world/, (image below, no effect)
  • Added Outbound Port Rule in Windows 10 for DCS.exe on all ports and protocols. (No effect)
  • Tethered my phone to the PC to use a totally different internet provider. This DID work and I can see all servers (although with horrendous ping)

I don't know if there is some other setting on the router I might be missing or if for some reason my provider is blocking DCS multiplayer servers. Although that last one seems unlikely, as I was able to by change get onto the Growling Sidewinder server in once instance using [Connect by IP]. Is there any way to check if they are blocking something? It's also weird as a while back I was able to see all DCS servers through the same internet provider and router so something must have changed.

image.png

• Like 3

Apologies for the constant updates to this thread, but I thought it would be useful to record my findings in case anyone else comes across these issues in future and finds this topic.

After some more digging I found out there is a mismatch between what my public IP shows and what my Router is saying it is. Public IP: 62.11.x.x, WAN IP on router: 100.88.x.x with subnet mask 255.255.255.252. It seems at some point my ISP has switched to Carrier-grade NAT, or at least that's my understanding.

Is there some kind of work around to make DCS severs visible through a Carrier-grade NAT, or am I on the wrong track of what the problem is?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Sorry for necroing but no-one anywhere i ask seems to know what this is about. I'm having the same issue since the Apache Beta release as no servers at all show up despite the master list indicating 1000+ servers in the logs. Only managed to direct connect to one server by chance and all of the things you did here had no effect for me either. I tried tethering and it works. Nothing with my computer or internet configuration changed on update day so it has to be something with the back-end as it persist despite swapping from steam to stand-alone and from stable to beta. I will not that i do not see a mismatch between my public ip and what my router is telling me.

Edited by ustaritz