Bug or default behavior? One hit on the jet kills - no chance to use the ejection seat

v2tec

Ok, the A10 is a robust airplane and I could use the ejection seat, when / once it was necessary.

But, when I fly the FA-18 or the F16, one hit kills (by AA missile) and I am not able to use the ejection seat at all. Well, the damage model also looks the same all the time. The plane is loosing the wings and goes down. I am not sure if this is the same in reality.

________________________ ________ ______ ___ __ _

Win10 64 Pro, i7-6800K 3.4Ghz, 32 GB (DDR4), Asus Aorus 1080 TI WF, TrackIR 5 / RIFT, Thrustmaster Warthog, Fanatec Pedals, 55" oled 4k TV, Modules:A10C, KA-50, Huey, AV-8B, FA-18, F-16, NTTR, Persian Gulf

_ __ ___ ____ _____ ______ _______ ____________

vor 11 Stunden schrieb v2tec:

Ok, the A10 is a robust airplane and I could use the ejection seat, when / once it was necessary.

But, when I fly the FA-18 or the F16, one hit kills (by AA missile) and I am not able to use the ejection seat at all. Well, the damage model also looks the same all the time. The plane is loosing the wings and goes down. I am not sure if this is the same in reality.

You get hit, you die. Especially the F-16 with its single engine and a very light airframe is unlikely to survive a missile hit, especially compared with the titanium tub of the A-10 and its engines which are outside of the airframe.

On 1/13/2021 at 9:39 AM, Kang said:

The surprising part is that the pilot hasn't been instantly killed as he is somewhat prone to be in the F-18 in DCS. It's like the ejection seat has an automatic throat slasher attached in case any of the valuable, expensive hardware takes damage.

i believe this happens a lot and has been for a while. this was mentioned by Kang. it still makes me laugh. lol

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

vor einer Stunde schrieb Frederf:

AIM-9 hits the back of a plane, pilot instantly killed?

Not always, I have been able to eject sometimes. Extremely rare though. With fragmentation warheads, this sounds reasonable. 

You might survive a hit from the AA-8 (R60) since it's warhead is really small. And keep flying. I experienced that once.