jammed flaps not breaking off (or not slamming into retracted position) when diving at Mach 0.9

D4n

When having jammed the flaps into extended position, shouldn't they break off or slam into retracted position when in a vertical Mach 0.9 dive? (Have aerodynamic tests proven that F-14 flaps could stand such a strong air-pressure? 🤔) I tried kinda everything to either rip them off to "get rid" of the jammed flaps "issue" or to slam them back into retracted position by force... 😅

Edited by D4n
DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

17 hours ago, D4n said:

When having jammed the flaps into extended position, shouldn't they break off or slam into retracted position when in a vertical Mach 0.9 dive? (Have aerodynamic tests proven that F-14 flaps could stand such a strong air-pressure? 🤔) I tried kinda everything to either rip them off to "get rid" of the jammed flaps "issue" or to slam them back into retracted position by force... 😅

Well the driving mechanism is usually designed in a way forces cannot reverse turn the system (e.g. worm drive) so in order to slam back you'd have to break the mechanism and/or the mounts probably causing severe damage to the wing in that process. Not to mention that there's no guarantee that the process will be symmetric, so you may end up with an aircraft that has full flaps on one wing and gaping holes on the other while diving at M 0.9 towards the ground... There are better moments to eject.

That's why I think they probably never did test for "at what speed will the flaps rip off" just confirming that they won't at sane speeds.

If you over-speed your flaps the best thing you can do is slow down and see if they will retract at lower speeds, if not you'll have to limp home or eject.

Edited by Blackeye
  • Thanks 2

Don’t think I’ve seen this effect in DCS but I’ve definitely seen it on a P-51 in another sim where the flaps could jam or break when overstressed and you were never quite sure which it would be. It was a cool visual effect to see the flap literally flapping in the wind.

• Like 1