CBU105 doesn't see Static Aircraft as targets

Ian Boys UK

CBU105 (tested with F-16) doesn't see Static Aircraft as targets. I dropped 4x CBU105 on 2 Sams (worked fine), 1 EWR (worked fine) and a park of static IL-76 but it doesn't see these as live targets and just shows the generic cluster bomb explosion (the skeets don't track). I think the engines of the IL-76 are dense enough to act as targets for the skeets.

Hmm. 

It's likely just a programming oversight in the DCS system, maybe this thread observation might correct this. Or a limitation in static object not beeing seen by the "virtual" sensor.

On the other hand, it might not be a mistake. The skeet's optical targeting might reject stationary aircraft in real life, though I don't know why it might do that, as it would be very useful to use such a weapon on  enemy airfields or FARPs and such. It could be simply a limit in data storage capacities to ID targets inside the tiny skeets...

Worth looking into, IMO

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2021 at 7:15 PM, Ian Boys UK said:

CBU105 (tested with F-16) doesn't see Static Aircraft as targets. I dropped 4x CBU105 on 2 Sams (worked fine), 1 EWR (worked fine) and a park of static IL-76 but it doesn't see these as live targets and just shows the generic cluster bomb explosion (the skeets don't track). I think the engines of the IL-76 are dense enough to act as targets for the skeets.

Can you please attach a track showing this?

A track or it didn't happen.

On 11/13/2021 at 1:16 PM, Flappie said:

Can you please attach a track showing this?

Sure. Here are two files with identical conditions and placement. In one the CBU-105 skeet correctly find and destroy a lot of armour. In the other, they do not identify parked a/c as targets and do not destroy any at all, despite good dispersion over 8 parked aircraft.

CBU105-Correct v Armour.trk CBU105-No kills or aiming on static planes.trk

• Thanks 1

Many thanks. I replayed your tracks, then I modified your "correct" track to see what would happen with non-static airplanes instead of non-static ground vehicles: they got hit pretty badly. Then I modified your "no kills" track and replaced static airplanes with static ground vehicles: they got hit pretty badly. I agree with you: static aircraft seem to be ignored, or at least some of them. I'll report this.

Mind this issue could be a direct consequuence of this other one (static aircraft are harderto kill than nonstatic aircraft):

• Thanks 1

A track or it didn't happen.

37 minutes ago, Flappie said:

Mind this issue could be a direct consequuence of this other one (static aircraft are harderto kill than nonstatic aircraft):

Thanks for reporting it. However it definitely isn't as simple as the "harder to kill" issue - it's that the skeets don't see static aircraft as targets and therefore default to general cluster mode. The skeets are meant to auto-home on targets for direct hits. The actual weapons behave differently, not just the effect on tgt.

Now, what I don't know is if real world skeets would ID aircraft. However the dense metal in the engines suggests to me that they would.

I have played the same mission with other units including bunkers, static ZU-23 gun pits etc and all are targeted and destroyed. 

We had the same thing with the new Jester LANTIRN - it didn't see static aircraft but that has now been fixed.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ian Boys UK said:

Now, what I don't know is if real world skeets would ID aircraft. However the dense metal in the engines suggests to me that they would.

I don't believe it's looking for dense metal.  According to the Wiki page, it looks for heat signatures (engines hot or warm) and the object's physical shape, which it compares against a data library of shapes to destroy.

You may be correct about the possiblity that maybe it doesn't have military aircraft in it's "library of doom", thus rejecting an enemy fighter that's cold and not the shape this droid was looking for... but that's just a guess, I don't really know.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CBU-97_Sensor_Fuzed_Weapon