Fix the Syria MAP . !!! Its Killing my computer .

KoN

ok so i tried this map few months back when the TRY me came out ,Very nice looking map great for many airframes . 

But its 32GB of ram being used and that makes it impossible to play , its a complete system HOG . 

It Takes ages for my computer to close down after running the Syria map . 

Where are the fixes that were supposed to be coming . Its now end of 2021 . 

More modules are coming yet NO Fixes are being made .      😬

• Like 4

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

9 hours ago, KoN said:

ok so i tried this map few months back when the TRY me came out ,Very nice looking map great for many airframes . 

But its 32GB of ram being used and that makes it impossible to play , its a complete system HOG . 

Uhm, if you may have noticed, it's a pretty big and very detailed map. This just needs a lof of RAM as all those objects need to be stored somewhere. To really reduce the RAM usage the map needs to be smaller or less detailed, which is not an option I would say.
And honestly, if your biggest gripe is that it takes ages for your computer to close DCS after playing on the Syria map, then I don't really see an issue at all, sorry.

Edited by QuiGon
  • Like 3

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

39 minutes ago, QuiGon said:

Uhm, if you may have noticed, it's a pretty big and very detailed map. This just needs a lof of RAM as all those objects need to be stored somewhere. To really reduce the RAM usage the map needs to be smaller or less detailed, which is not an option I would say.
And honestly, if your biggest gripe is that it takes ages for your computer to close DCS after playing on the Syria map, then I don't really see an issue at all, sorry.

NOW now with the negative waves . !!!

Plenty and I mean plenty of people have a gripe with the Syria map using so much memory and being unplayable , And still waiting on fixes that were promised months back . 

That's my gripe .  NOT the closing down of my system . 😁

You must of gotten out of bed too early  . 🙄 

Thank you for your clear and productive response . lol .

• Like 3

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

10 hours ago, KoN said:

You have my sympathy, mate. And I know, you're also part on another Russian simulator community. I had the same problem with the
Syria map too, but already some month back. First I thought, the map needs to be optimized, although I already knew, my system won't
do it in the next future.

The main problem is, even if someone has a descent rig, 16GB of RAM won't be enough - not now and definitely not in the future. Sad but true.
DCS is not a simulation to be played on a medium system and not to mention on a low system, period. I even have to realize that people with
brand new rigs struggle in some way.

Sure, the game engine might need some revision, but I strongly doubt it will happen anytime soon. The dilemma ED has, they produce many
modules at the same time and sometimes I think they can't catch-up with their own developing pace - so many things to consider and to
manage at the same time - one should expect a professional developer team being able to tackle and master this huge task, but I don't know
what human resources they have for this.

Anyway, I tried to investigate on how to optimize my old system and came to the conclusion, it was absolutely worthless to invest on my old
system - I couldn't even find a descent RAM module that would fit on my old motherboard - I definitively reached the end of the road here.
I finally decided with my very narrow budget possibility to change all components of my outdated system - it took me nearly 6 month to put
my new system together - very frustrating in some way to wait for so long.
Now, my system can handle most of the DCS content I already have, although definitively not on the highest settings, but with a reasonable
quality. I lost some FPS with the last patch, but hey, it is still playable for me, so I do not care very much - the weakest part of my system
still is my GPU (1080), but I won't change this anytime soon as the prices for new generation GPUs are absolutely outrageous and I'm not
going to support this market.

Maybe ED should also consider the fact, that not every customer has a high-end system and therefore it might be wise to optimize their
game engine in a way that not everybody needs to alter their hardware every time they release an update. Because, if they keep it like
this, DCS will end-up in a elitist combat simulation...

Cheers

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, THERION said:

Maybe ED should also consider the fact, that not every customer has a high-end system and therefore it might be wise to optimize their
game engine in a way that not everybody needs to alter their hardware every time they release an update. Because, if they keep it like

Maybe ED follows some secret plan and wants to go the E-Sports way where other sims already have started to be only playable and tuned for a minor group of professional elitists showing their competitive skills to a broad passive audience (like other money making sports do in real live...) 😉 /sarc

Edited by schmiefel
typo fixed

Primary for DCS and other flightsims: i9 12900K@default OC on MSI Z790 Tomahawk (MS-7D91) | 64 GB DDR5-5600 | Asus TUF RTX3090 Gaming OC | 1x 38"@3840x1600 | 1x 27"@2560x1440 | Windows10Pro64

Spoiler

Secondary: i7 11700k@5.1GHz on MSI Z590 Gaming Force MB| 64 GB DDR4-3200 | PowerColor RX6900XTU Red Devil | 1x 32"@2560*1440 + 1x24"@1980*1200 | Windows10Pro64

Backup: i7 6700K@4.8GHz | 64 GB DDR4-2400 | PowerColor RX5700XT Red Devil | SSD-500/1000GB | 1x49" 32:9 Asus X49VQ 3840x1080 | Windows10Pro64

Flightsim Input Devices: VPC: ACE2 Rudder / WarBRD Base / T-50CM2 Base with 50mm ext. / Alpha-R, Mongoos T-50CM, WarBRD and VFX Grip / T-50CM3 Throttle | VPC Sharka-50 + #2 Controle Panel | TM Cougar MFD-Frames| Rift S - Secondary: TM HOTAS WARTHOG/Cougar Throttle+Stick, F-18-Grip | TM TPR Rudder | DelanClip/PS3-CAM IR-Tracker

26 minutes ago, schmiefel said:

Maybe ED follows some secret plan and wants to go the E-Sports way where other sims already have started to be only playable and tuned for a minor group of professional elitists showing their competitive skills to a broad passive audience (like other money making sports do in real live...) 😉 /sarc

Ja, ja  - alles klar!

I'm not a conspiracy guy, so keep your sarcasm. Thank you.

14 minutes ago, THERION said:

Ja, ja  - alles klar!

I'm not a conspiracy guy, so keep your sarcasm. Thank you.

My comment wasn't meant in any way against you ... the current and ongoing situation with ED /DCS and the continueing performance issues becomes more and more troublesome and keeps myself from playing it at all. Plus the loud silence on ED's side to all those issues (because its not only the Syrian map but other modules and the overall system performance as well) makes me more and more sarcastic if I look at how much money and time I have sunk into DCS over the years to improve the experience and most times just try to keep up with its rising demands. And now it seems that it becomes more and more a fact that even the most expensive modern hardware couldn't fit DCS any longer in a positive way...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Primary for DCS and other flightsims: i9 12900K@default OC on MSI Z790 Tomahawk (MS-7D91) | 64 GB DDR5-5600 | Asus TUF RTX3090 Gaming OC | 1x 38"@3840x1600 | 1x 27"@2560x1440 | Windows10Pro64

Spoiler

Secondary: i7 11700k@5.1GHz on MSI Z590 Gaming Force MB| 64 GB DDR4-3200 | PowerColor RX6900XTU Red Devil | 1x 32"@2560*1440 + 1x24"@1980*1200 | Windows10Pro64

Backup: i7 6700K@4.8GHz | 64 GB DDR4-2400 | PowerColor RX5700XT Red Devil | SSD-500/1000GB | 1x49" 32:9 Asus X49VQ 3840x1080 | Windows10Pro64

Flightsim Input Devices: VPC: ACE2 Rudder / WarBRD Base / T-50CM2 Base with 50mm ext. / Alpha-R, Mongoos T-50CM, WarBRD and VFX Grip / T-50CM3 Throttle | VPC Sharka-50 + #2 Controle Panel | TM Cougar MFD-Frames| Rift S - Secondary: TM HOTAS WARTHOG/Cougar Throttle+Stick, F-18-Grip | TM TPR Rudder | DelanClip/PS3-CAM IR-Tracker

11 minutes ago, schmiefel said:

yMy comment wasn't meant in any way against you ... the current and ongoing situation with ED /DCS and the continueing performance issues becomes more and more troublesome and keeps myself from playing it at all. Plus the loud silence on ED's side to all those issues (because its not only the Syrian map but other modules and the overall system performance as well) makes me more and more sarcastic if I look at how much money and time I have sunk into DCS over the years to improve the experience and most times just try to keep up with its rising demands. And now it seems that it becomes more and more a fact that even the most expensive modern hardware couldn't fit DCS any longer in a positive way...

Sorry then. I "invested" a lot of money too on different modules - and they're not even nearly finished yet as they announce more and more.

I have decided to stop new investments on DCS for the moment and will observe how all evolves. I have already enough modules to work
with and trying to master.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, THERION said:

The main problem is, even if someone has a descent rig, 16GB of RAM won't be enough - not now and definitely not in the future. Sad but true.

No, not quite true. I have 16GB of RAM and I play DCS on maxed out settings on Syria absolutely fine. It needs heavily populated servers with complex missions with a lot of units (like BlueFlag Syria) to drop FPS on my 16GB system to a level that is not totally smoth anymore, but still ok.

On a 16GB system Syria will use every bit of RAM it can get though and that means tabbing out and doing other stuff in the background can be pretty slow and exiting DCS will take a while, which is what he was complaining about. I can only repeat myself though: Either we have big and detailed maps that need a lot of RAM to run or we get small and/or less detailed maps that run on older rigs. Can't have both, as all these map objects have to be stored somewhere.

Edited by QuiGon
  • Thanks 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Echoing @QuiGon - I do have 32GB of RAM, and Syria runs well for me, even on high settings. I do not have a monster system. I can maintain 60 FPS in single player, and 30 to 40 in Multi with a lot of stuff going on in the background, with Ultra skies, and SSAO etc.

The real question is, have you researched the numerous articles regarding "Alt Tabbing", Enabling/Disabling device scanning, FXO/Meta Shaders folders, Clean installs, or installs on SSD's with non X86 locations for core binaries, and "Saved Games"??? Have you played around with "pre-load" and "radius" or viewable ranges?

When was the last time you did a clean and repair?

DCS isn't easy to play or run. It takes some research, and some tuning - but the rewards are worth it.

• Like 2

Pointy end hurt! Fire burn!!
JTF-191 25th Draggins - Hawg Main. Black Shark 2, A10C, A10CII, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Mig-15, Mig-19, Mig-21, P-51, F-15, Su-27, Su-33, Mig-29, FW-190 Dora, Anton, BF 109, Mossie, Normandy, Caucasus, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Channel, Syria, Marianas, WWII Assets, CA. (WWII backer picked aircraft ME-262, P-47D).

Genuine question but how do people cope with 40fps? Iuse only an old Sammy TX so I am tried to vsync but having it disabled is a horrible experience.

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

23 hours ago, THERION said:

You have my sympathy, mate. And I know, you're also part on another Russian simulator community. I had the same problem with the
Syria map too, but already some month back. First I thought, the map needs to be optimized, although I already knew, my system won't
do it in the next future.

DCS is not a simulation to be played on a medium system and not to mention on a low system, period. I even have to realize that people with
brand new rigs struggle in some way.

Sure, the game engine might need some revision, but I strongly doubt it will happen anytime soon. The dilemma ED has, they produce many
modules at the same time and sometimes I think they can't catch-up with their own developing pace - so many things to consider and to
manage at the same time - one should expect a professional developer team being able to tackle and master this huge task, but I don't know
what human resources they have for this.

Anyway, I tried to investigate on how to optimize my old system and came to the conclusion, it was absolutely worthless to invest on my old
system - I couldn't even find a descent RAM module that would fit on my old motherboard - I definitively reached the end of the road here.
I finally decided with my very narrow budget possibility to change all components of my outdated system - it took me nearly 6 month to put
my new system together - very frustrating in some way to wait for so long.
Now, my system can handle most of the DCS content I already have, although definitively not on the highest settings, but with a reasonable
quality. I lost some FPS with the last patch, but hey, it is still playable for me, so I do not care very much - the weakest part of my system
still is my GPU (1080), but I won't change this anytime soon as the prices for new generation GPUs are absolutely outrageous and I'm not
going to support this market.

Cheers

Hello mate . 

Totally agree with the fact that DCS is going down the High end PC range . 

Most maps are using 16GB of system ram . All of 8GB v-ram . @ 1440 res . 

I also have a 1080 and like you i wont pay these prices . Even some 3080 struggle in VR here . What we do know is DCS is going to VulKan . 

And I really hope this great sim gets the FPS we all need to fly good VR as its amazing .

In multiplayer 32GB is the way to go but Syria map uses all of my 32GB .

I Drop ground textures to low and lower the grass and tress and preload to 10,000. ill get stutters to start off with then it will go 50-fps . 

I would Say also DCS net code needs a big Netcode  overhaul , As multiplayer is really bad  , DCS really should be on top of this 2.7 really is stunning . 

Edited by KoN
  • Like 1

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

22 hours ago, schmiefel said:

My comment wasn't meant in any way against you ... the current and ongoing situation with ED /DCS and the continueing performance issues becomes more and more troublesome and keeps myself from playing it at all. Plus the loud silence on ED's side to all those issues (because its not only the Syrian map but other modules and the overall system performance as well) makes me more and more sarcastic if I look at how much money and time I have sunk into DCS over the years to improve the experience and most times just try to keep up with its rising demands. And now it seems that it becomes more and more a fact that even the most expensive modern hardware couldn't fit DCS any longer in a positive way...

I heard many years ago that DCS is a conspiracy and its meant to be unstable  ....😆

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

I have a 4790-based PC with 16 GB of RAM. I flew a Hornet and the black Shark over some distance, and frame rates were around 50. No combat activity.

Exiting the game and closing the PC down did not seem longer than usual.

I was very impressed with the level and quality of the detail. Only in one point I was just slightly disappointed. I have been to Jordan a few weeks ago and visited the antique temple site of Jarash (Gerasa). This bit of northern Jordan is included in the Syria map and so I decided to re-visit Jarash with the Black Shark for some sightseeing. I could in fact find the temple site and some features (like the southern theatre and the oval square) reminded of the real thing. But the sim is very different from the real site. I didn't really expect it to be an accurate reproduction, but it would have been nice!😀

• Like 2

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

• 1 month later...
On 12/28/2021 at 6:13 AM, pete_auau said:

not  a  issue  with me  using vr in  the liberation campaign

Single player campaign . Yes nice and smooth but what about online and the Net-codes . 

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

It's annoying when I read things like"...it's unplayable!" And yet...I'm playing it. Funny how that works. 

I have an ASUZ Zephyrus G14 laptop. It was top of the line last year, as a matter of fact it was best voted gaming laptop of 2020.

But that was last year. It's no longer top of the line. It has an I7 processor that puts out 2.6 ghz. An RTX 2060 6 gb video card. And 16 gb of RAMM. I am running the Syria map as smooth as silk. I don't watch framerates so I can't give you those. They just don't interest me. If it's running smoothly and not causing my laptop to catch fire, I'm happy. I picked up the F16 and the Syria map during the Christmas sale and have been using nothing but them since I picked them up. I'm very happy with the purchases. 

Edited by Ercoupe
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ercoupe said:

It's annoying when I read things like"...it's unplayable!" And yet...I'm playing it. Funny how that works. 

this kind of threads always have to be taken with a bit of salt … check the OP computer:

AsRock Steel  - B450 ~ RyZen - 2600X @ 4.2 - GTX 1080 - HyperX 16 :GB @ 2400

The ryzen 2600 is a processor from almost 4 years ago, the gpu is a base model from 2016, and operating with just 16 GB of ram … of course such a system struggles to run the latest dcs map. 

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I am with OP.

Ugra's Syria map is the golden standard in my books, a map that just about balances detail with performance in VR. A lovely map!

Hopefully Vulcan and CPU optimization makes normandy, channel islands and  marianas run smooth and perfectly in VR, but will allow Syria to stand head a shoulders above everything else in combat performance wise.

I am not complaining.... I am waiting.... waiting long time. waiting for DCS to come home.

Edited by Rogue Trooper
  • Like 2

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

17 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

this kind of threads always have to be taken with a bit of salt … check the OP computer:

AsRock Steel  - B450 ~ RyZen - 2600X @ 4.2 - GTX 1080 - HyperX 16 :GB @ 2400

The ryzen 2600 is a processor from almost 4 years ago, the gpu is a base model from 2016, and operating with just 16 GB of ram … of course such a system struggles to run the latest dcs map. 

I laugh at you .  …

A CPU with 6 cores and 12 threads , A beast of a card GTX 1080 . and 1TB SSD . only for DCS . 

32GB of 3200 Ram sorry my bad not updated sig . 

No other map struggles but this is only online play . 

More than enough to play any game on the market  Today  , I clearly wont buy graphic cards at these prices as it stands 2021 . 

Now please get some sleep . Your give yourself a headache . lol .  

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

Haven´t been flight sims hardware hungy all teh times? I remember Falcon 4.0 in 1998.. and 4 years later you evene could not buy a computer that worked smooth in 1024x786 with this beast... So why should DCS be less hungry here? I would guess that 64Gb om Memory will be sim standard very soon... the only big issue in DCS is the fact that it can´t handale modern CPU´s and still stuck in the 2000.... CPU will get less frequenzy but more corese more and more.. and as a single core engine DCS is just too old for modern hardware.

DCS F-16C Blk. 40/42 :helpsmilie:

Candidate - 480th VFS - Cupra | 06

Syria Map uses the most VRAM of all the DCS maps.  If your 1080 is the Ti with 12GB of VRAM, then with the HIGH terrain textures you can approach the dedicated vram limit of your card.  Add a carrier group which is about 1GB, and you are swapping VRAM from dedicated to shared.  Try the Low terrain textures, and try a simpler multiplayer mission.  Watch the consumption of VRAM in the Task Manager.  I hope this helps.

4 hours ago, KoN said:

A beast of a card GTX 1080

I'm really sorry but... I also use a 1080 and I can categorically tell you it is not a beast. Not by a longshot.

I also struggle with Syria... Because of the 1080.

Personally, as a fellow 1080-owner, I do not expect any developer to cater to my needs. It's my own issue that I have an outdated card.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

- i7-7700k

- 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz

- GTX 1080 8GB

- Installed on SSD

- TM Warthog

DCS Modules - A-10C; M-2000C; AV8B; F/A-18C; Ka-50; FC-3; UH-1H; F-5E; Mi-8; F-14; Persian Gulf; NTTR