Hornet cockpit textures, anything better?

Steel Jaw

Maybe I have something for you 😉 Screenshots will follow soon.

Well here we go. This is my modernized and cleaned gun metal grey hornet´s nest currently under development and it is not yet finished - the windshield airframe is not yet in the same black tone as the frame of the cockpit canopy glass, and some other minor texture details will be fixed tonight.

The file is not uploaded here somewhere, because I cannot do so all my textures are highest non-compressed 10 bits colour depth quality and the file size is over 1 gigabyte. A download link will follow as soon as my cockpit is ready in maybe two hours or so.

By the way I would love to create such a similar F-16 Viper cockpit but unfortunately I cannot open the texture files because of some Nvidia error. (Unsupported DXGI 98 Error when trying with most updated Gimp and Photoshop CS15). Maybe someone can upload a Viper cockpit texture set or repaint kit in common DDS format editeable with Photoshop and Gimp on Ryzen/Radeon machines, otherwise I cannot do F-16 repaints. Thanks! 🙂

Digital Combat Simulator 27.10.2021 17_52_41.jpg

Digital Combat Simulator 27.10.2021 17_52_21.jpg

Digital Combat Simulator 27.10.2021 17_52_08.jpg

Digital Combat Simulator 27.10.2021 17_51_49.jpg

Digital Combat Simulator 27.10.2021 18_00_47.jpg

Digital Combat Simulator 27.10.2021 17_59_11.jpg

Digital Combat Simulator 27.10.2021 17_53_22.jpg

Digital Combat Simulator 27.10.2021 18_01_34.jpg

Digital Combat Simulator 27.10.2021 18_01_40.jpg

Digital Combat Simulator 27.10.2021 18_01_48.jpg

Digital Combat Simulator 27.10.2021 18_02_10.jpg

Digital Combat Simulator 27.10.2021 18_02_17.jpg

Edited by JetCat
screenshot upload
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

There was a little delay because lot´s of minor details were to repaint, like the heating vents. And the side panels (in 90% of all Hornets it is grey not black) the black colour tone of windshield frame, and trying to match all the shades of grey. Plus cleaning up the cockpit a little bit much more.

And here is the download link, enjoy 🙂 And I wish I could repaint the cockpit as 101% ULTRA-PHOTOREAL as the Tomcat`s but I am not that good unfortunately. But maybe someone enjoys my cockpit here too, I especially like the new shiny MFD screens with this shiny dark blackish green tone that looks so eighties-military-techy.

https://www.file-upload.net/download-14732281/Cockpit.zip.html

DCS 28.10.2021 16_00_56.jpg

Digital Combat Simulator 28.10.2021 15_43_28.jpg

Digital Combat Simulator 28.10.2021 15_44_05.jpg

Digital Combat Simulator 28.10.2021 15_44_13.jpg

Digital Combat Simulator 28.10.2021 15_46_35.jpg

Digital Combat Simulator 28.10.2021 15_46_49.jpg

Digital Combat Simulator 28.10.2021 15_47_38.jpg

Digital Combat Simulator 28.10.2021 15_47_52.jpg

Digital Combat Simulator 28.10.2021 15_48_00.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I really like this.

PS! you can install this to  your 'Saved Games' liveries folder instead of the 'core' directory.

Create a Cockpit_F-18C under liveries and then copy the new files under that

image.png

You can then select the cockpit under Options -> Special -> F-18 

image.png

Edited by AdrianL
  • Like 1

Thank you so much for sharing JetCat!

I use some F-18 Cockpits, and now another great one for my collection 🙂

Screen_211028_211653.png

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

1 hour ago, fagulha said:

Thank you so much for sharing JetCat!

I use some F-18 Cockpits, and now another great one for my collection 🙂

Screen_211028_211653.png

Dude where did you get all of those?

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

3 hours ago, Mower said:

Dude where did you get all of those?

From the user files and from the forum. 

Search in the liverie and mod section.

I leave here a couple ones:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/de/files/3307484/

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313436/

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313036/  

and this one below too:

Hope you enjoy (there are a couple more around).

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

Here is an update for the Hornet Gun Metal Grey cockpit.

"Better Shades of Grey" with the grey-tones better matching and no miscoloured panels standing out, plus small details like the fins of the air vent have now the same colour and the panels around the rudder pedals too.

https://www.file-upload.net/download-14735956/HornetNestGunMetalGreyV2.zip.html

Enjoy 🙂

Digital Combat Simulator 01.11.2021 17_35_48.jpg

Digital Combat Simulator 01.11.2021 17_36_38.jpg

Digital Combat Simulator 01.11.2021 17_38_03.jpg

Digital Combat Simulator 01.11.2021 17_38_42.jpg

Digital Combat Simulator 01.11.2021 17_38_51.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice work there, but a little nitpick..

On 10/28/2021 at 5:29 PM, JetCat said:

..And the side panels (in 90% of all Hornets it is grey not black)....

Thats not true. The black plastic side(wall) panels where introduced with Lot 12 in 1989 and are part of the NVG compatibility meassures, so all F/A-18Cs had them except for the first two lots(10 and 11).....and the cockpit of those looks quite different(practically like that of an F/A-18A).

Ah thanks for the hint! Yes it´s labelled FF and not IFF on the bordcomputer.

I have never noticed that because I never use this system, friends or foes are labelled anyway 😄 I am going to fix it on the next update, but there might be the problem that the night illumination will still show FF glowing through the IFF day texture. Does anyone know how to texture night lighting effects in cockpits?

Ah thanks for the hint! Yes it´s labelled FF and not IFF on the bordcomputer.
I have never noticed that because I never use this system, friends or foes are labelled anyway I am going to fix it on the next update, but there might be the problem that the night illumination will still show FF glowing through the IFF day texture. Does anyone know how to texture night lighting effects in cockpits?
Can you be more specific when you say night lighting effects? You mean how strong the backlight is? If so, it's as Tholozor says, through the Alpha (opacity) channel.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

On 11/1/2021 at 12:18 PM, Oban said:

These links keep failing for me after about 12MB .. 😞

I'm experiencing the same thing...any way this could be added under DCS for d/load as a User File?

Alienware Area-51M: i7-9700K, 165Hz 27" ASUS Swift PG279 IPS with G-SYNC, 32GB DDR4 Ram, 1TB M.2 PCie x4 SSD, 1TB SSHD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 8GB GDDR6, Windows 10, CH Eclipse...

Check out my fictional F/A 18-C Hornet and Su33 Flanker skins at: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?CREATED_BY=WytchCrypt&set_filter=Y

• 2 months later...

Can someone please tell me why repainting the Hornet creates no problems at all - while all textures for the F-16 Viper (no matter if cockpit-textures or outside liveries) are destroyed and get some strange neon-green shine as soon as I change the slightest pixel?

1 hour ago, JetCat said:

Can someone please tell me why repainting the Hornet creates no problems at all - while all textures for the F-16 Viper (no matter if cockpit-textures or outside liveries) are destroyed and get some strange neon-green shine as soon as I change the slightest pixel?

I tried to edit a cockpit liverie, made by a user, for my personal use but when i fly at night and turn the instruments flood lights most of the cockpit turns to a green texture/light.

Never figured it out and i´m sorry i couldn´t help you further but i wanted to share more or less similar issue.

Best regards, and hope you figure it out so we can see a new Viper cockpit liverie 🙂

It is a problem with the alpha channel. The alpha channel is changed to a different look when saved with the Nvidia DDS tool, that´s why always the original F-16 textures must be used when making a texture. I liked this cockpit here very much:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/de/files/3318437/

And used this as a base. But this was not meant as some lazy minor changes and re-upload as my own file - I loved the shinyness of the MDF screens and the little details he has added to the cockpit and it took me at least five hours or so to remove all the brown desert sand stains and overhaul all files, remove the scratches from the metal and plastic material, and implement a lot of my own textures too (like the Gun Metal Gray ejection seat I made and more).

So now I finally know that the original default texture with the original default alpha channel must always be used as a base file to create a new Viper cockpit.

You can find the original F-16 textures here:

D:\Steam\steamapps\common\DCSWorld\Mods\aircraft\F-16C\Cockpit\Textures

They are inside F-16C-CPT-TEXTURES.zip.

This is one of the textures (primarely for the light grey cockpit panels and the footrest.) I am still trying to figure out how to solve this problem that everything lights up green. The third picture is the alpha channel and I think the alpha channel is wrong because it should be a more or less translucent picture.

Screenshot_213.png

Screenshot_212.png

Screenshot_214.png

Edited by JetCat
  • Like 2

SUCCESS!!

Yesss finally!

The exact alpha channel from D:\Steam\steamapps\common\DCSWorld\Mods\aircraft\F-16C\Cockpit\Textures -> F-16C-CPT-TEXTURES.zip must be used 🙂

The flat green shine going over the complete texture is now gone with the correct default alpha channel, and the green illumination is now fully functional. Now the F-16 can ascend to the next level! And rise even above the F-18 Gun Metal Grey texture! Phew making the new texture will probably take another 2-3 days filled with intense Photoshop work and Creepy Pastas from YouTube.

I will make a middle Gun-Metal-Grey texture similar to the F-18 Hornet´s nest and a stealthy black texture and I hope the F-16 can ascend and rise so intense that I can call it an F-17!  🧐 👌

I have made one quick testing-textur with two X on the footrest to proof that it works perfectly fine when using the original default F-16 texture alpha channel.

DCS 31.01.2022 15_48_13.png

Screenshot_215.png

Screenshot_216.png

Edited by JetCat

58 minutes ago, JetCat said:

SUCCESS!!

Yesss finally!

The exact alpha channel from D:\Steam\steamapps\common\DCSWorld\Mods\aircraft\F-16C\Cockpit\Textures -> F-16C-CPT-TEXTURES.zip must be used 🙂

The flat green shine going over the complete texture is now gone with the correct default alpha channel, and the green illumination is now fully functional. Now the F-16 can ascend to the next level! And rise even above the F-18 Gun Metal Grey texture! Phew making the new texture will probably take another 2-3 days filled with intense Photoshop work and Creepy Pastas from YouTube.

I will make a middle Gun-Metal-Grey texture similar to the F-18 Hornet´s nest and a stealthy black texture and I hope the F-16 can ascend and rise so intense that I can call it an F-17!  🧐 👌

I have made one quick testing-textur with two X on the footrest to proof that it works perfectly fine when using the original default F-16 texture alpha channel.

Awesome news! eager to try both of your cockpit versions, in the pics is already outstanding!

Thank you for your work and for sharing.

PS: downloaded the one in the like in the previous post, looks great too!

@JetCat there´s a little touch in a cockpit liverie that i use and i like a lot, it´s a pic in the side panel (didn´t figured out how to edit myself to put other pic).

Screen_220131_160754.png

The first step that takes the most time is cleaning up the original cockpit textures. (Which means remove 90% of all this too much over-the-top scattered-literally-everywhere scratches, dirt and rust on aluminium and plastic to make the cockpit more appealing neat clean and comfortable, but still keep some wears and tears to keep it realistic looking). This is almost finished and the dark grey ejection seat is implemented too.

The second step is doing the perfect shades of grey to create an interesting two-tone look with middle grey and black just like my Hornet cockpit. This will become the true Jedi master cockpit.

The third step is creating a stealthy black cockpit with LCD-screens, black ejection seat and a Falcon emblem on the fur of the ejection seat to make the stealthy black cockpit a little bit more personal. So I can upload three Falcon (or Viper) cockpit variants when it´s finished ... 🙂 I can add your picture into the cockpit if you want and re-upload it again for you, but it will take a few days until my Viper cockpits are finished.

Digital Combat Simulator 31.01.2022 17_56_48.jpg

Digital Combat Simulator 31.01.2022 17_59_18.jpg

Digital Combat Simulator 31.01.2022 17_58_05.jpg

Digital Combat Simulator 31.01.2022 17_56_24.jpg

Edited by JetCat
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1