Jump to content

HARM SP Range


hein22
 Share

Recommended Posts

Right now the HARMS in the Hornet when fired in SP make a trajectory like the knew the range of the threat. They don't loft of course, but make a rather straight and a little bit up path and when they are close to the target they start diving.

Is this intended?

AFAIK when fired in SP or even TOO the missiles should point directly to the signal, thus losing a lot of range.

Stay safe

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't really see the issue with this. As the the range decreases with the HARM traveling the straight line, the depression angle of the tracked emitter will increase. The missile should be smart enough to just eventually center the crosshairs on the emitter.
(This is what I assume would happen. If the missile can see the emitter and knows it's own altitude, why wouldn't it be able to resolve range?)

We are missing TOO fuctions such as being able to select range known/unknown, and designating a waypoint for the weapon to fly to.

Mobius708


Edit: word

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Hulkbust44 said:

I don't really see the issue with this. As the the range decreases with the HARM traveling the straight line, the depression angle of the tracked emitter will increase. The missile should be smart enough to just eventually center the crosshairs on the emitter.

We are missing TOO fuctions in being able to select range known/unknown, and designating a waypoint for the weapon to fly to.

Mobius708
 

I think that's not how it works. The missile just points its seeker directly towards the signal, it cannot do a straight line pointing to X place and then to the signal.

I believe Wags even said this many times, and even the missile worked this way before (you could easily see the tip going straight to the SAM).

I am not 100% sure though.


Edited by hein22

Stay safe

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We've had Pre-Briefed for months now.
 
Not referring to PB. Technically PB should all be loaded preflight via the MU.

I'm referring to TOO. You have a TGT designation, set the filter for the general emitter type and press the pickle button. This has to do with range known/unknown and you will have a dashed emitter box on the TOO format if the HARM doesn't currently see that radar class at the target point after hand-off.

I.e. HARM emitter handoff can be from a ground designation. When there is a designation, range known/unknown will appear as options on stores. Selecting known will utilize the TGT designation from the primary sensor as the source for range. If range is unknown, the HARM CLC will attempt to extrapolate range on it's own.


This is my understanding after reading about these systems.



Mobius708

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, hein22 said:

I think that's not how it works. The missile just points its seeker directly towards the signal, it cannot do a straight line pointing to X place and then to the signal.

I believe Wags even said this many times, and even the missile worked this way before (you could easily see the tip going straight to the SAM).

I am not 100% sure though.

 

Wouldn't it be safe to assume it works the same way as a maverick does? Something that has no range information yet still lofts (or 'G Bias')

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is correct as is as far as I am aware. 

If there is evidence it should be any other way PM me 

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 32GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Swiftwin9s said:

Wouldn't it be safe to assume it works the same way as a maverick does? Something that has no range information yet still lofts (or 'G Bias')

Good point. Didn't think of that.

3 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

This is correct as is as far as I am aware. 

If there is evidence it should be any other way PM me 

thanks

I got nothing really. This was just a feeling based on its behavior from a previous build.

If it's correct then there's nothing else to say.

 

Thankssss!

Stay safe

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, hein22 said:

I think that's not how it works. The missile just points its seeker directly towards the signal, it cannot do a straight line pointing to X place and then to the signal.

I believe Wags even said this many times, and even the missile worked this way before (you could easily see the tip going straight to the SAM).

I am not 100% sure though.

 

As stated by @Hulkbust44, missiles can infer a "range" for the control laws by looking at the angular rate of the emitter target. An example of the same logic is seen in the Maverick missile, where it will "loft" a bit before coming down on the target.

Real lofting though requires a somewhat precise position, as it is an optimization of several parameters for best kinematic range. You'll in fact see a much, much more pronounced loft at long distances.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, toilet2000 said:

As stated by @Hulkbust44, missiles can infer a "range" for the control laws by looking at the angular rate of the emitter target. An example of the same logic is seen in the Maverick missile, where it will "loft" a bit before coming down on the target.

Real lofting though requires a somewhat precise position, as it is an optimization of several parameters for best kinematic range. You'll in fact see a much, much more pronounced loft at long distances.

I see, thanks!

Seems my posts are not going anywhere lately. LOL

I made 4 or 5 and they were all wrong.

Nice going.

Stay safe

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...