Massive lag just before touchdown.

Rhinozherous

Hello!

I got back to Supercarrier with Tomcat and Hornet after a time. I made a more or less empty training mission (just airplane and the carrier). Just before I catch a wire - lets say 10ft above the deck the whole sim freezes for a few seconds... this is highly annoying and destroys every landing. I have zero stutters, lags or other performance problems in every other thinkable situation in DCS.

I have zero lag when landing on an airbase in an crowded city, but out on the sea with just the airplane and the carrier it lags at the worst moment possible. This is no performance problem, this has to do with the Supercarrier module.

What can I do about this?

Thank you.

Edited by Rhinozherous

i7-14700KF 5.6GHz Water Cooled /// ZOTAC RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB /// 32GB RAM DDR5 /// Win11 /// SSDs only

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

It seems to be annoying but let's first start with a "zero" point.

Can you please do a "Dcs repair" and if this does not help, rename your Saved Games\DCS folder (for creating a backup) and try this with a fresh configuration?

Did you also deactivate any 3rd party tools like Tacview, Jetseat etc?

Edited by kreisch

This is common in any kind of moderately heavy mission.  I see it especially once a few AI aircraft have trapped and are parked on deck. Tomcats seem to cause it more than Hornets (Cats parked on deck I mean, it doesn't matter what you're in).

I only get a momentary stutter, certainly not several seconds, but it's notable as the only stutter in my normally perf heavy Liberation missions.

For reference, I'm running: i9 9900k at 5.0Ghz, 32 Gb DDR5, 3070, and I only fly in 1080p on a monitor. 

7 hours ago, kreisch said:

It seems to be annoying but let's first start with a "zero" point.

Can you please do a "Dcs repair" and if this does not help, rename your Saved Games\DCS folder (for creating a backup) and try this with a fresh configuration?

Did you also deactivate any 3rd party tools like Tacview, Jetseat etc?

Will trie and report here! 

6 hours ago, Stearmandriver said:

This is common in any kind of moderately heavy mission.  I see it especially once a few AI aircraft have trapped and are parked on deck. Tomcats seem to cause it more than Hornets (Cats parked on deck I mean, it doesn't matter what you're in).

I only get a momentary stutter, certainly not several seconds, but it's notable as the only stutter in my normally perf heavy Liberation missions.

For reference, I'm running: i9 9900k at 5.0Ghz, 32 Gb DDR5, 3070, and I only fly in 1080p on a monitor. 

As I said, it happens in a Mission with just the carrier and the aircraft. No heavy Mission. 

i7-14700KF 5.6GHz Water Cooled /// ZOTAC RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB /// 32GB RAM DDR5 /// Win11 /// SSDs only

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

5 hours ago, Biggus said:

I experience this pretty regularly.  It's almost like there's a LOD change when it happens.

Could be the reason... At least it kinda feels like this. 

But my RAM, CPU and GPU should be enough for such a task (see signature) I think there is a Performance tweak needed for the carrier. 

I will supply a Track ASAP

Edited by Rhinozherous

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

21 hours ago, Stearmandriver said:

The problem is, that you cannot take mission using DCS Liberation (mod) as a performance baseline.

It is quite easy to create missions which use a lot of scripts to become unplayable very quickly - on a 'monster machine'.

Anyway, if you play an "empty mission" and land on the carrier, it shall not lag/spike on a system like @Rhinozherous

I don't think it's the scripts so much as the sheer number of units that make Liberation missions perf heavy.  But whatever it is, my point was that even in one of those missions, I see zero stutters... until at the ramp of the ship if a couple AI are parked on it.  So I'm agreeing that something about the boat needs tweaking. 

9 hours ago, Rhinozherous said:

Could be the reason... At least it kinda feels like this. 

But my RAM, CPU and GPU should be enough for such a task (see signature) I think there is a Performance tweak needed for the carrier. 

I will supply a Track ASAP

My system isn't that different.  3070, 32GB of 3600mhz ram and a 5800x.  I agree that the carrier performance is probably in need of some tweaking.  That tiny stutter is literally at the worst possible time.  If it happened literally a second, maybe 1.5s later it would be much less noticeable as the plane hits the deck and decelerates (although it'd still be annoying with bolters and touch and go stuff).

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Is there a way to get the carrier to load in earlier? I get the same thing. Stutter on the first attempt but fine after that (since it's loaded in). If the carrier could load fully further out we could have smoother fps during the actual touchdown.

EDIT: realized there was an obvious solution to this. Just use external view on the carrier before landing to load it. I found that with both f12 (on deck) and f9 (above) I can get smooth landings now with no stutters.

Only selecting one of those views either gave me a slight stutter still on landing or exiting the carrier on a go around, but with both it seems smooth either way.

Previously I was having to edit the carrier deck to have less objects to reduce this stutter but using that trick it seems to be smooth even on the fully loaded versions.

Edited by medway
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1