"Training Day" SP mission - Thank you for this masterpiece!

Chimango

I don't usually play SP but i gave this one a try. I'm so glad i did, what a masterpiece. I checked the log afterwards and it lasted almost 3 hours. Really immersive. I won't spoil it here so i won't go into more details. Bottom line: brilliant work and a big thank you Heatblur! 

Sin título-33 (2).jpg

Sin título-3 (3).jpg

Sin título-333.jpg

Edited by Chimango
  • Like 10

666GIAP_Chimanov - My Tomcat tribute video, type on youtube browser=> "DCS F-14 Tomcat Symphony"

19 minutes ago, BelowAverageBrad said:

Do you have to do a full AAR to continue on?

IIRC it was explained in the briefing that you have to join the tanker and then could just leave to continue.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

2 hours ago, BelowAverageBrad said:

Do you have to do a full AAR to continue on? I managed to get to the tanker with around 12K of fuel, spent the next hour trying to refuel and gave up.

As Draconus said above. You can rejoin with the tanker (get real close) and then fly back towards your steerpoint 1 (not all the way, stay out of the range), after you separate a bit, Magic will contact you. Note: if you do not volunteer, you can easily get away with not taking on fuel. If you saved fuel up until that point and have between 15k-17k lbs left, you will be fine with both missions, too. If you dropped below 14k lbs, volunteering is doable, but will require a lot of attention to fuel conserve.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

19 hours ago, IronMike said:

It is our pleasure, Ripper 106. 🙂

Oh was it you doing Riper 106 voiceovers? Good job IM!

I found a very tiny detail regarding messages; even if you miss one GBU at the range (so 1 miss plus 2 hits required to continue leaves you with only 1 bomb left) the radio message you send later on still says you have 2x bombs. 

I hope someone makes some ground attack based campaign for the F-14 with "Training Day" quality. 

18 hours ago, eatthis said:

is it a mission or a tutorial?

It's more than a mission, it's living a short movie where you can also decide it's outcome 😎

666GIAP_Chimanov - My Tomcat tribute video, type on youtube browser=> "DCS F-14 Tomcat Symphony"

44 minutes ago, Chimango said:

Oh, thank you, but no, I wrote, directed and created the mission, but no voice overs, those were Graywolf, Fringe, Kez, Remus and Near Blind, who, might I say, did an excellent job and really brought everything to life. And of course, the mission is possible because of Grover's additions to the mission editor, which were inspired from the mission and inspired the mission itself in return. It was one of those things where you just have a massive amount of fun putting it together, even though we burned through quite a decent amount of midnight oil for it hehe. I'm really happy that you guys enjoy it. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

On 10/24/2021 at 11:21 AM, Chimango said:

I don't usually play SP but i gave this one a try. I'm so glad i did, what a masterpiece. I checked the log afterwards and it lasted almost 3 hours. Really immersive. I won't spoil it here so i won't go into more details. Bottom line: brilliant work and a big thank you Heatblur! 

Sin título-33 (2).jpg

Sin título-3 (3).jpg

Sin título-333.jpg

Nice screenshots. Can you post your graphics settings?

Ryzen 5 3600, Radeon RX 5600 XT

1 hour ago, Baz000 said:

Does the mission also act like a Jester Lantirn pod tutorial or do I need to study up on the system and Jester integration first?

It kinda tells you what to do - I was using LANTIRN for the first time and it was clear and intuitive enough.

@Roosterfeet just telling from the screenshots, the options are:

water: high

DOF: on

textures: high

shadows: high

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

2 hours ago, Baz000 said:

Does the mission also act like a Jester Lantirn pod tutorial or do I need to study up on the system and Jester integration first?

It is not a full blown tutorial, but it does teach you the basics in an immersive way.

• Like 1

Heatblur Simulations

On 10/25/2021 at 11:16 AM, Chimango said:

I found a very tiny detail regarding messages; even if you miss one GBU at the range (so 1 miss plus 2 hits required to continue leaves you with only 1 bomb left) the radio message you send later on still says you have 2x bombs. 

I hope someone makes some ground attack based campaign for the F-14 with "Training Day" quality. 

It's more than a mission, it's living a short movie where you can also decide it's outcome 😎

So, I just tried it out and I ran into this too that it thinks I have x2 bombs remaining when apparently I missed on my first pass on each target.I used the total of my x4 bombs and I still volunteered and it said I had x2 bombs remaining when really I had none at all, so far that is really the only thing amiss. Awesome mission tho! I really enjoyed the story of it... I hated tanking off the C-130 tho but I was finally able to top her off fully.

Also, looks like I can only get him to use the Lantirn pod if I have bombs loaded but I can't get him to use it if I am Winchester on bombs in this mission to even stalk / surveil a target that may or may not be of interest, that I may or may not be orbiting over top of. 😄

Edited by Baz000

Unfortunately the voice line ofc has no way of knowing if you have bombs left and how many, without creating some extra complicated trigger structure for it, hence it is assumed that the player does well. I will mention in the volunteer message to only volunteer if one has bombs left.

Edited by IronMike

Heatblur Simulations

On 10/25/2021 at 4:58 PM, Roosterfeet said:

Nice screenshots. Can you post your graphics settings?

Sure, and sorry for the delay. Here you go. Geforce 1070 - 1080p (keep in mind it's in spanish: Alto = High; Bajo = Low)

Sin título-2.jpg

• Thanks 1

I guess that's very simple, you just go to mission editor, open the mission and change the unit from "player" to "client" and save it.

My only question is whether will affect the triggers or not

1 hour ago, Chimango said:

My only question is whether will affect the triggers or not

It will affect messages and VOs with possible errors on screen... not simple at all afaik.

Messages and VO won't kill the mission and you can still fly it, so it is simple to modify it yourself from single player to client (if it still stays 1 plane only). The only thing that can make it not flyable is if the triggers get affected. Will have to test it later on with a teammate

I have no plans to convert it unfortunately, because it is so specifically tailored on showing what is all possible with "guiding Jester's hand" specifically for Singleplayer - thus without a Jester present the triggers where he has to look and what he emphasizes with the pod will not work. That said, none of these triggers, iirc are dependencies for other triggers, the chain is build on other queues - so it might work if just changing the player aircraft to client. No guarantees though.

But if you guys are willing to test it, and it works, I will add it to the Multi folder as such. 🙂

Edited by IronMike
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Heatblur Simulations

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I just had to chime in.  This is, indeed a MASTERPIECE!  Why don't we have more things like this? I would pay money for this "immersive incredibly evolved missions".

This was, indeed, more like an action short than it was a mission.  Absolutely incredible!!!!

I had the same problem / question as above with the tanker: not if tunned by me, nor if tunned by Jester, would the the TACAN give any readback.  So finding the Tanker is a real treat.  I had to F2 until I saw the C-130, note his coords and heading, plot a course, intercept it until Jester finds him somewhere in the horizon, STT him, and only then was I able to merge with the tanker.

What follows contains a spoiler, but I thought it's worth mentioning:

Spoiler

... after you go through the entire process and are presented with the option to drop or not the bomb on the compound, I really think that there should be a somewhat "clearer" disclaimer.  This is a mission to test the LANTRIN, and it seemed like a lot of hours to actually "not" drop the bomb (even though you already had dropped two), so I went for it.  The mission was a success "signaling" my un-scrupleness.  But upon exiting, I was greeted with the dreadful: "you have committed fratricide" message and I lost all my points. 😞

I'm to blame, as I decided to drop the bomb, but it does seem like a "less of a gamble" since you are training to drop bombs with the LANTRIN.  So maybe something a bit more "explicit" as this decision's consequences go beyond the mission alone.

Also, I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but when taking off, the carrier shows up to 1% damage as I am being pulled by the catapult.  Not sure if this is a "new" bug, I have never had this happen before.

Again, thanks for a master piece of a mission!  Best regards,

Rafa.

• Like 1

I'm Dragon in the Multiplayer servers.