Frequent Steamvr crashes HP G2

BMGZ06

After battling the odd artifacts I am getting all of a sudden those have reduced or gone away most of the time but I now get repeated steamvr crashes and most of the time while in a mission it just goes back to WMR cliff house with no crash message while DCS still runs. I have tried turning off steamvr home, and turning off reprojection and setting it to auto and motion vector. None of which helps. I uninstalled steamvr and deleted all folders I could find then installed again and verified files. Still no joy. I tried hooking the usb cable to the Type C on the 2080ti and then using both USB Type A 3.1 on the mobo and also on my powered USB hub. Could this be a cable issue? Everything looks and runs fine in the cliff house or even steamvr house. I even tried older nvidia driver 466.27.

System Specs: 13900K, Strix Z790 Gaming E, MSI 4090 Sprim Liquid X  OC'd, 64gb Gskill Trident Z DDR5, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 SSD,. Winwing throttle, Winwing panels/MIPs and VKB GF3/MCGU stick, MFG Crosswind V2, HP REVERB G2.

After battling the odd artifacts I am getting all of a sudden those have reduced or gone away most of the time but I now get repeated steamvr crashes and most of the time while in a mission it just goes back to WMR cliff house with no crash message while DCS still runs. I have tried turning off steamvr home, and turning off reprojection and setting it to auto and motion vector. None of which helps. I uninstalled steamvr and deleted all folders I could find then installed again and verified files. Still no joy. I tried hooking the usb cable to the Type C on the 2080ti and then using both USB Type A 3.1 on the mobo and also on my powered USB hub. Could this be a cable issue? Everything looks and runs fine in the cliff house or even steamvr house. I even tried older nvidia driver 466.27.
This crashes has been happening of late with critical error message.
I have found that switching to the to release version of steamvr works. The beta version has some stability issues.
Try using the release version of steamvr.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

If it helps I only ever get SteamVR crashes when I have the frame rate locked (45/90Hz). I leave it unlocked now and no more crashes.
How do you get to leave the framer ate unlocked?
In my case, I can only choose between 60hz and 90hz.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

4 minutes ago, Eaglewings said:

do you get to leave the framer ate unlocked?
In my case, I can only choose between 60hz and 90hz.

It’s the “reprojection” option. Can’t remember exactly but look on here for the reprojection settings (in fact if you haven’t seen this awesome guide then follow it from the top):

https://vr4dcs.com/2020/12/24/how-to-nail-reverb-setup/

• Like 1

It’s the “reprojection” option. Can’t remember exactly but look on here for the reprojection settings (in fact if you haven’t seen this awesome guide then follow it from the top):
https://vr4dcs.com/2020/12/24/how-to-nail-reverb-setup/
Wilco. Thanks

Yes I tried both the beta and stable version of steam vr and WMR for steamvr and still happens. It was working fine with no crashes a week ago. 

8 hours ago, speed-of-heat said:

What version of steamvr are you on?

What ever the latest version is since there are no other updates needed for it. I uninstalled it and reinstalled so it should be the latest. Windows also seems to be up to date. There was a MS Holographic update I didnt have but that did not fix anything. I hope I do not have to do the nasty and reinstall Windows

Edited by BMGZ06

System Specs: 13900K, Strix Z790 Gaming E, MSI 4090 Sprim Liquid X  OC'd, 64gb Gskill Trident Z DDR5, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 SSD,. Winwing throttle, Winwing panels/MIPs and VKB GF3/MCGU stick, MFG Crosswind V2, HP REVERB G2.

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling Steam and its components?  I had to do that once due to random crashing and general strange behavior of SteamVR.  Haven't had any issues since then.  If you decide to try that, do a Google search to find the procedures for backing up your Steam library and the uninstall/reinstall process.  Its actually not all that bad to do that, and you won't have to reinstall all of your Steam titles.  Definitely far less scary than the nuclear option of a Windows reinstallation.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

51 minutes ago, eaglecash867 said:

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling Steam and its components?  I had to do that once due to random crashing and general strange behavior of SteamVR.  Haven't had any issues since then.  If you decide to try that, do a Google search to find the procedures for backing up your Steam library and the uninstall/reinstall process.  Its actually not all that bad to do that, and you won't have to reinstall all of your Steam titles.  Definitely far less scary than the nuclear option of a Windows reinstallation.

Well lucky thing is that I only run DCS on this hard drive so no worries about installing a bunch of games. DCS is not steam version either.

21 minutes ago, BMGZ06 said:

Well lucky thing is that I only run DCS on this hard drive so no worries about installing a bunch of games. DCS is not steam version either.

Cool!  That makes it even easier to re-install Steam.  😎

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

On 10/24/2021 at 10:14 AM, BMGZ06 said:

Yes I tried both the beta and stable version of steam vr and WMR for steamvr and still happens. It was working fine with no crashes a week ago. 

What ever the latest version is since there are no other updates needed for it. I uninstalled it and reinstalled so it should be the latest. Windows also seems to be up to date. There was a MS Holographic update I didnt have but that did not fix anything. I hope I do not have to do the nasty and reinstall Windows

I started having SteamVR crash like this every time I ran DCS while trying to have motion reprojection turned on. The fix turned out to be switching my "Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR" software in steam from the beta version to the release version - no more crashes!