AI F-16 goes dumb when tasked to "Attack group"

Track A2G_BMP - Simple mission flight of two F-16 with 4*MK84 -> Advanced waypoint action -> Perform task -> attack group , while the group is a bunch of BMP2s

The flight starts to fly in random circles around the map in full burner before #2 RTB, then #1 go drop a bomb on the target and RTB. Same behavior if I change the BMPs with BTR80s

Track A2G1 -> Absolutely the same mission but instead of BMPs, The target group is MBT T72. The AI flight behaves correctly and attack the group with mulitple passes then continues the flight plan. Same with T55s.

Tried with "react to tread" on no reaction with no difference in behavior. Not sure if related only to F-16 but tried with different unguided bombs with the same result.

A2G_BMP.trk A2G1.trk

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 months later...

Thanks for your tracks, @metzger. I've been trying many things to understand this odd behaviour. So far, my best move was to remove 3 BMP-2 from the group: when there are only 3 of them, the F-16 flight is not afraid to attack anymore. I keep digging.

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

This is indeed an odd one. Best I can tell the combination of F-16 and Mk-84 is somehow the hangup. It appears that the F-16 AI really doesn't like using 4x Mk-84 bombs to do CAS. However giving a TGP to flight lead allows the wingman to attack when ordered to, but not the flight lead. Removing 2 of the bombs allows both AI to attack. In fact changing it to any other set of dumb bombs allows the AI to attack. Changing the flight to F-18s and arming them with 4x Mk-84s allows the flight to attack when expected. Spent more time than I care to admit tracking the problem down and I still am not sure why the 4x Mk-84s is the actual problem. 

reported. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

• 3 weeks later...

I have a similar issue with a new mission I made. I have ground targets defined plus a Sam close by. When approaching the ao I tell my wingman to engage air defenses. They acknowledged but fly straight and level and slow right at it, getting shot down. 

If I take out the sam and ask them to do their ground attack on the defined mission, they just slowly circle in the area like they are bugged out. Mission waypoint is properly setup with targets and they have a load out suitable for the mission. 

They refuse to do anything.