Varjo Aero

Supmua

https://varjo.com/products/aero/
The first consumer headset from the company.

Specs: 35PPD, 115 degree FOV, aspheric lens, eye tracking, dual mini-LED display.

• Thanks 1

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

That’s very cool. I’m a hold-out as far as this tech goes but this gets my attention. The games have to be able to perform on these things though. 

The new Sony PSVR is supposed to have foveated rendering, I wonder why this doesn’t?

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

It does have dynamic foveated rendering. That’s why it’s got eye tracking.

The major attractions are the custom optics (aspheric lenses) which can make a huge difference in terms of upping the visual fidelity, and the panels (mini LED, same technology as the panels used in the latest iPad Pro and MacBook Pro).

It doesn’t sound like a perfect headset by any means with so so HFOV and VFOV, and no built-in headphones. Newer headsets from Oculus and Valve next year will likely have some more cool technology than this one. But again, It would be very tough to beat the screen and the optics on this headset.

So this is a niche product but seems a pretty good fit for me since my top priority in VR is the visuals. I will do the first impression review once I get mine.

• Like 1

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

56 minutes ago, Supmua said:

It does have dynamic foveated rendering. That’s why it’s got eye tracking

Oh awesome. I see that now. I thought it was just using the eye tracking to set the IPD

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

18 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

Oh awesome. I see that now. I thought it was just using the eye tracking to set the IPD

link to that? I also thought it only used it set IPD like the VR-3

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

3 minutes ago, zeranom said:

They said…no distortions in DCS and MSFS 2020 with the Varjo Aero anymore. But still with the higher Model VR-3 ? Hmm….interesting but strange.

Likely done via software calibration correction which will continue to improve.  This thing is pretty much a VR-3 on diet with weight reduction, lack of center screen, etc. with the same optics.  The software looks fairly mature though, especially when compared to the Vive Pro2.

36 minutes ago, Harlikwin said:

link to that? I also thought it only used it set IPD like the VR-3

Scroll down to “Automatically Tailored for You”

The eye tracking also allows for advanced dynamic foveated rendering to take place to further enhance application performance.” 😁

5 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

Scroll down to “Automatically Tailored for You”

The eye tracking also allows for advanced dynamic foveated rendering to take place to further enhance application performance.” 😁

This is why reviewers are seeing better fps in some games compared to the G2 despite higher res panel.  The way it works is that the very center gets full rendering res, then the mid layer has slightly reduced resolution, the outer most layer has lowered resolution…somewhat similar to multi-focal contact lenses with 3 different focal zones.  If they provide full support for this in native software for universal use, it could get very interesting.

Edited by Supmua

Just now, Supmua said:

This is why reviewers are seeing better fps in some games compared to the G2.  The way it works is that the very center gets full rendering res, then the mid layer has slightly reduced resolution, the outer most layer has lowered resolution…somewhat similar to multi-focal contact lenses with 3 different focal zones.

I’m amazed that this is working, I had worried that you’d need such a fast refresh rate in order not to perceive blurring. That’s awesome. The resolution part of this dilemma is solvable though. Getting the CPU bottleneck addressed is the big hurtle. Let’s see some magic devoted to that and we have a winner. 

Got my order in.

Stating 3-4 Months for delivery, I expect it will be the latter or little longer.

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Got my order in.
Stating 3-4 Months for delivery, I expect it will be the latter or little longer.

Why am I not surprised
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Supmua said:

Why am I not surprised emoji51.png

Lol yeah well I will tell ya I hope this thing is as good as I think it may be - if so that will be the last VR headset I will buy for some time. I have already spent enough in VR these last few years it is ridiculous. 

I may need an "intervention"... lol.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Ordered the Varjo Aero early this morning. Hopefully I am not too far down the list!

GPU: RTX 4090 - 3,000 MHz core / 12,000 MHz VRAM. 

CPU: 7950X3d - 5.2 GHz X3d, 5.8 GHz secondary / MB: ASUS Crosshair X670E Gene / RAM: G.Skill 48GB 6400 MHz

SSD: Intel Optane P5800X - 800GB

VR: Pimax Crystal

CONTROLS: VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base / VPC Constellation ALPHA Prime Grip / VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle / TM Pendular Rudders

59 minutes ago, Supmua said:

This is why reviewers are seeing better fps in some games compared to the G2 despite higher res panel.  The way it works is that the very center gets full rendering res, then the mid layer has slightly reduced resolution, the outer most layer has lowered resolution…somewhat similar to multi-focal contact lenses with 3 different focal zones.  If they provide full support for this in native software for universal use, it could get very interesting.

Where is this handeled? I thought it used steamVR. 

33 minutes ago, dburne said:

Lol yeah well I will tell ya I hope this thing is as good as I think it may be - if so that will be the last VR headset I will buy for some time. I have already spent enough in VR these last few years it is ridiculous. 

I may need an "intervention"... lol.

Yeah, I'm gonna sit back on this one an upgrade the CPU/mobo for now. That should be "entertaining" enough with the scarcity of stuff.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Varjo Aero is a SteamVR platform, but it also has its own software layer like Pimax and recent Vive headsets (Pro2, Focus3).

Another thing of note is that only NVIDIA GPUs are currently supported.

damn.. i'm itching to pull the trigger... if it were only 500 golden doubloons  less... mmm.. I need to sell my G2 that's currently collecting dust since i switched to VP2.

btw, what does this mean exactly?

"..Custom-made variable resolution aspheric lenses with 35 PPD peak fidelity.."

what is varying there ?

2 minutes ago, peachmonkey said:

damn.. i'm itching to pull the trigger... if it were only 500 golden doubloons  less... mmm.. I need to sell my G2 that's currently collecting dust since i switched to VP2.

Yeah same here, I have a few headsets I really need to sell off. I still have every headset I have owned.

Edited by dburne

Don B

Base Station

SteamVR™ 2.0 base stations track the exact location of your headset. Base stations are a mandatory accessory for using Varjo Aero.

Guys, I am reading this correct? As well as 2K + tax. You need to buy 2 x base stations at 500EUR + tax as well? That 2K just became 3K if thats the case!!!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, nawarren said:

Base Station

SteamVR™ 2.0 base stations track the exact location of your headset. Base stations are a mandatory accessory for using Varjo Aero.

Guys, I am reading this correct? As well as 2K + tax. You need to buy 2 x base stations at 500EUR + tax as well? That 2K just became 3K if thats the case!!!

you can buy 1.0 base stations, they are cheaper and work just as good as 2.0, at least for seated games.

I've been running 1.0 base stations for 3 years now starting from ViveProv1...then Pimax, then ViveProv2... Soon this varjo thingie..

Edited by peachmonkey

Yeah I got my base stations and controllers with the Index kit, so can continue to use them as I do now with the Vive Pro 2.

If I did not already have them, I likely would not have ordered the Varjo unit.

Don B

Just now, Darpa said:

I read and watched all the reviews I could and it seemed to make sense for me so I placed my order (3-4 months as dburne noted)

:thumbup:

We're pioneers baby!

Don B