FPS Lost after DCS 2.7.7.14727 patch

Miro

• ED Team
7 minutes ago, Miro said:

Has anyone affected by the drop in frames already tried the stable version instead of the beta version?

they are identical now, it would be a pointless exercise, only differences would likely be in the saved games folder

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

28 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

they are identical now, it would be a pointless exercise, only differences would likely be in the saved games folder

So, finally the stable version has the same "feature" in loss of FPS. Now, you will also have some complaints from the stable guys.

I really hope ED is not going to neglect this issue and find a fix for this. Right now, I will definitively stop spending money on DCS,
although I know that ED does not care.

• Like 1

• ED Team
4 minutes ago, THERION said:

So, finally the stable version has the same "feature" in loss of FPS. Now, you will also have some complaints from the stable guys.

I really hope ED is not going to neglect this issue and find a fix for this. Right now, I will definitively stop spending money on DCS,
although I know that ED does not care.

We do care, so please dont say we dont it is nonsense. 

If you have performance issues post your dcs logs, your dxdiag, let us know your system spec, add a track replay showing an example of a drop in FPS. 

without this we are unable to assist, it's just a guessing game. 

Now I have a very strong system, I have just updated to windows 11 also, and I am seeing better performance than ever. The team are aware some people are seeing issues, we have lower spec machines to test on also, but we are not seeing the problems some are claiming to have. That is not to say it isnt happening, but we are unable to reproduce at this time. 

Please ensure windows and all drivers are up to date, 

remove all unofficial mods, edits, or shader mods.

run a slow repair or verify if steam. 

Renaming your dcs folder in saved games ( keep it as a backup ) and then running DCS again to set all settings to default to test, check you have no shaders, scripts or unofficial mods creating a problem. 

• Like 5

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

3 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

Now I have a very strong system, I have just updated to windows 11 also, and I am seeing better performance than ever.

The system from your signature? Did you change settings or have you left them as they were from the previous version? 

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

• ED Team
5 minutes ago, Lurker said:

The system from your signature? Did you change settings or have you left them as they were from the previous version? 

Only setting I change was to increase my steamVR % form 54 to 60 as I am seeing good results. With my old 2080ti I was running at 54% in steamVR for higher frames. 

hope this doesnt become permanent

we had a similar situation when 2.5.6 rolled. People updating  from 2.5.5 complained of performance degradation

same huge thread on the forum, lots of testing, lots of discussion and then 2.5.6 was pushed to stable "as it" and perfomance never recovered.  

Edited by MattCri
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, BIGNEWY said:

Only setting I change was to increase my steamVR % form 54 to 60 as I am seeing good results. With my old 2080ti I was running at 54% in steamVR for higher frames. 

60? 😐

Prior to the patch, I could run SteamVR SS at 90/100 and get 45 fps (motion smoothing) and maintain 14-16ms GPU frametime.

Now, I can barely stay below 20ms frametime @ 70

• Thanks 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

3 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

The whole purpose of an open beta is to catch problems before software goes into release. There are significant fps problems with the beta, and yet now it's been pushed to release.

I may be wrong, but the only reason to do this seems to be to sell the new campaigns. Sorry to be so negative but this is really frustrating.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

I'm just guessing here but, perhaps the problem is the new reflective water. Would it be a safe guess to think whatever code is applied to make a mirror reflect is also used to make the water reflective.

We all know there's a slight fps drop with mirrors enabled (hence I never use them). Has the entire map (water) been turned into a giant mirror?

I think it's been asked but, is it possible to simply turn off the new, reflective nature of the water?

Edited by Sr.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

--Arthur C Clark

• ED Team
59 minutes ago, deep said:

The whole purpose of an open beta is to catch problems before software goes into release. There are significant fps problems with the beta, and yet now it's been pushed to release.

I may be wrong, but the only reason to do this seems to be to sell the new campaigns. Sorry to be so negative but this is really frustrating.

We do not know what the cause is yet for some peoples fps loss, we know it does not affect everyone and they are using the same DCS versions as the people seeing problems. 

As frustrating as it is unless we get decent information / data from people who are seeing problems it is going to remain difficult to pin down. 

At this point this thread is just people saying yes they do have problems, but not actually sharing information that would help us or give us clues. 

We need to see

dcs.log
dxdiag
track replay showing an fps loss

thanks

58 minutes ago, Sr. said:

is it possible to simply turn off the new, reflective nature of the water?

Try medium or low water see if you notice a difference, and let me know. 

4 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

Some people mentioned they had better results with higher settings than lower ones. I remember reading about shadows "flat only" being worse then "low" or "medium" for some people. I'm thinking maybe there are some specific combinations of settings that don't interact well with each other causing an unexpected fps loss. Might be worth experimenting with.

5 minutes ago, Dzsekeb said:

Some people mentioned they had better results with higher settings than lower ones. I remember reading about shadows "flat only" being worse then "low" or "medium" for some people. I'm thinking maybe there are some specific combinations of settings that don't interact well with each other causing an unexpected fps loss. Might be worth experimenting with.

That are all wild guesses.

What some do not realize is, that the people that are actually raising their voice reporting fps-loss here are still „only“ in the double digits. That‘s hardly a representative sample size of all dcs-players, from whom the vast majority is silent. And of those, only a couple gives the asked data.

There is no way for us to know, how „big“ the problem is. Assume it‘s only a minority of say 10% that experience deteriorated fps. How are you supposed to pin it down without actual data?

You need to give ED something to work with.

And don‘t get me wrong! I don‘t suggest for a second, that the problem should not be dealt with, regardless of small the % of effected players are, or that your experiences aren‘t valid.

• Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

Hi everyone;

I still flying DCS (stable or open version) but not in VR since the new version of DCS...the 2.7...,definitely ED need to make this simulator running on multicores not on only 2.Everyone want to upgrade their stuff computing system to have the performance needed to run it decently and even that,it's desappointing a lot.DCS must evolve to this decade.You see a lot of mods to compensate the huge problem that ED will not take seriously.The main point is they have not a serious competitor to push them to upgrade this simulator.You begin to see some most viewed youtuber flying IL2 and some return to BMS...because even if you upgrade your computer at the max(max $$$$ too...),it still disapointing.A real upgrade of the core of DCS is needed.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Dzsekeb said:

yes and they were wrong.

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Hello again,

before making the update to the newest stable, I've first created two new test-flights, and run the nvidia logging of performance.
With the new version I've played the tracks again and then also with cleared metashader and fxo.

Average FPS results in a nutshell:

Beirut
2.7.6                79.0 FPS
2.7.7                69.8 FPS
2.7.7 cleared: 67.8 FPS

Caucasus
2.7.6                84.7 FPS
2.7.7                75.1 FPS
2.7.7 cleared: 73.0 FPS

That the game with cleared cache files became even slower shocked me most. So, don't clear your cache after update...

Below see my details data containing:

- Both Trackfiles
- Screenshots of in-game settings
- Report Summary Excel
- For all versions (2.76, 2.7.7, 2.7.7 cleared)
    - Verbose NVidia reports
    - Logfiles
- The DxDiag (is the same as in my previous post.)

This time I was not very motivated to run a whole bunch of settings again. These are now just the once I am usually flying with.

2.7.6_vs_2.7.7_Analysis.zip

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Windows 11 Pro 64Bit - AMD Ryzen 5800X3D - AMD 6900 XT - 64 GB RAM

VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Throttle, VPC WarBRD Base, VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip

OK, so for the sake of science, I reverted temporarily to 2.7.6.13436 OpenBeta (the last 2.7.6) and ran the fps testing procedure as follows:

1) disabling mods, deleting options.lua, logs and fxo + metashader files. The only custom soft runnig left is Reshade 4.9.1 (injecting SMAA and big framerate indicator);

2) launching DCS, setting up gfx options starting from "High" preset and lowering chosen parameters as I used to do before 2.7.7 - screenshot below shows these settings;

3) restarting DCS;

4) loading P-51D Caucasus takeoff instant mission, when in cockpit setting camera to front / back / left / right view, noting framerate. Doing the same in F2 external view, saving replay track;

5) loading F-86F Caucasus cold start instant mission, repeating the same front / back / left / right fps check in cockpit and in external view like above, saving replay track;

6) exiting DCS, saving logs, both replay tracks and options.lua file.

Then I updated again to 2.7.7.15038 and did all of the above in the same sequence.

RESULTS FOR THE MUSTANG:

2.7.6 cockpit: 74 / 71 / 72 / 64; external: 96 / 82 / 86 / 75

2.7.7 cockpit: 60 / 58 / 59 / 53; external: 74 / 65 / 68 / 61

RESULTS FOR THE SABRE:

2.7.6 cockpit: 80 / 76 / 75 / 84; external: 81 / 86 / 83 / 93

2.7.7 cockpit: 64 / 62 / 61 / 66; external: 64 / 68 / 66 / 73

All done in 2D, with NVidia 496.13 drivers.

Zipped logs, replays and options.lua files for each versions attached below, together with latest dxdiag.

settings.jpg

2.7.6.13436 OB files.zip

2.7.7.15038 OB files.zip DxDiag.txt

Edited by Art-J
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 6

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

3 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

We do not know what the cause is yet for some peoples fps loss, we know it does not affect everyone and they are using the same DCS versions as the people seeing problems. 

As frustrating as it is unless we get decent information / data from people who are seeing problems it is going to remain difficult to pin down. 

At this point this thread is just people saying yes they do have problems, but not actually sharing information that would help us or give us clues. 

We need to see

dcs.log
dxdiag

thanks

Try medium or low water see if you notice a difference, and let me know. 

Easily 3-7ms GPU frametime gain from high to low.

This is running SteamVR SS @ 50% ... which doesn't bode well for cockpit clarity from my usual 80-100%

Best improvement seems to come with MSAA OFF  😞
Even 2x loses 4-5ms

Edited by Sr.

--Arthur C Clark

6 hours ago, Hiob said:

the people that are actually raising their voice reporting fps-loss here are still „only“ in the double digits. That‘s hardly a representative sample size of all dcs-players, from whom the vast majority is silent. And of those, only a couple gives the asked data.

There is no way for us to know, how „big“ the problem is. Assume it‘s only a minority of say 10% that experience deteriorated fps. How are you supposed to pin it down without actual data?

You need to give ED something to work with.

100% agree with the sole caveat that this forum as a whole is hardly a representive sample size of all dcs players either. But big or small, if you report a bug and are asked for data, please provide it. 

I do have to wonder if its something outside of DCS in the OS, botchedOC (my botched I hasten to add) or even the hardware. Ill soon be upgradng the unsexy part of my system (MB, Chip, fresh OS and RAM) and will be curious to see how and if that alters the metric on an unbutchered OS. 

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

I've managed to recover some serious fps by setting water to Low, turning off MSAA and applying SOH 2.7.7 shader mod.

--Arthur C Clark

3 hours ago, Sr. said:

I've managed to recover some serious fps by setting water to Low, turning off MSAA and applying SOH 2.7.7 shader mod.

That‘s kind of clear, isn’t it?

Water High->Med gave 5% fps, and MSAA 2x->off gave 15% in earlier tests already, before the latest updates were a thing.

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

Yes me too. I am on latest 2.7.7.15038. FPS dropped on build 2.7.7.14727 by 15% then dropped another 10% on .15038.

Where I was getting above 140 on last 2.5.6. In 2.7.7.14727 went down to 100-120. In 2.7.7.15038 dropped to 78-90

The control test is Instant Action/FA-18C/Nevada/Cold & Dark and Instant Action/AV8B/Nevada/Cold & Dark

E5-1630v4 3.7-4ghz turbo boost, 64gb, RTX 2060Super FE(new replacement board), PCIe NVMe HP TurboDrive C:, WD Blue 1TB SataIII 6GB SSD D-drive, 2560X1440 @144hz DP 

Windows 10 Pro 64 21H1 OS Build 19043.1320

Nvidia RTX drivers: 472.39 Studio

I cannot use 496.XX Game Ready becouse those do not work with my DCC applications. 496.13 and 496.36 GRD have no impact on DCS performance vs. 472.39

Overall trajectory of DCS is downwards performance degradation with each build of DCS.

What is sad is that I am planning, when possible to upgrade RTX 2060Super to RTX 3060Ti (when available), and that would only five me a 15-20% increase. RTX 2060Super and RTX 3060 have identical DX12 performance. RTX 3070Ti only a 30% boost in DX11/DX12 . So even with 3070Ti, I wont see kind of FPS I saw in 2.5.5 and 2.5.6.

Maybe its the water, maybe its the clouds. 

Options: See attached

DKoz_DCS_27715038_options.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

We need to see

dcs.log
dxdiag

image.png

Screenshots are taken at exact the same moment in the track i used to mesure.

Included in zip:

DXDiag -- FPS test stable and open beta tracks (same mission) -- DCS logs both stable and open beta -- screenshots of both settings (but they are the same).

Although i still wonder how one can see an fps loss on a track if it is played on another computer?
If i play someone else's track, it plays with my setting at my PC's performance. Just did a test with Limaro's track from a few posts above, the loss from "old"  nostable to open beta is clearly visible, with my tracks and his track. If i play whatever track from someone else the result is always the same, fps loss between both!!

I also wonder why not one single PC over at ED's is showing this problem let it be a low, medium or high end machine.

DCS Test.zip

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!