A question about the starting procedure

JetCat

Hi pilots,

the F-16 has many interesting technological devices on board like the starter or the hydrazine APU (EPU), and many other nice features. I have collected some nice engineering articles about her systems and the engine and other stuff too on PDF, and have a look at this gorgeous detailed overview:

f16a-2.gif

https://www.quora.com/How-do-you-start-the-engine-on-an-F-16-Fighting-Falcon

My favorite bird of all of the F´s!

And I have two questions about the starting procedure.

What happens in a real F-16 when I let the Jet Fuel Starter JFS run for some time until the engine core RPM reaches about 25% rpm - is it going to start?

Today two times the engine has not started because I injected the fuel to early with about 17-18% engine core rpm. The engine kept running and spooling up to almost 25% rpm but refused to ever ignite fuel no matter how often I switched the starter off and tried again. Does a real F-16 engine will refuse to start too after making this mistake of injecting fuel too early?

Have a good flight 🙂

Digital Combat Simulator 20.10.2021 16_44_35.jpg

Digital Combat Simulator 20.10.2021 16_44_57.jpg

Digital Combat Simulator 20.10.2021 10_05_05.jpg

Edited by JetCat

Oh wow okay in this case I have to take care of the engine even more.

And I noticed another interesting aspect of starting: Sometimes the F-16 is having a hot-start with the interstage turbine temperature getting up to 980°C when spooling up, while a normal regular start has a temperature of about 900°C. But I have never found out which procedure failing causes a hot start.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kilo said:

You have to let it rev up to 20%. Letting fuel in too early will lead to a hung start and in real life the engine will need to be taken apart and inspected.

Wouldn't need to be taken apart and inspected.  Hung starts can be managed with no damage to the engine.  The correct procedure would be to cut fuel and allow the engine to dry crank to evaporate any fuel that is left over in the burner can.  Failing to do so will cause a hot start

• Like 1

VFA-113 | Stinger 307 | "Hank"

USN OEF OIF Veteran

i7-8700K OC'd 4800ghz | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC'd | 32gb RAM | 2.5TB SSD | Odyssey + | TM Warthog HOTAS |