do the ir deflectors effect anything

evanf117

I did a test using Combined Arms and IR suppressors do actually work! Without suppressors I could get a IR signal from 1.7nm but with them attached the distance was reduced to 1.0nm.

• Thanks 4

i9 9700K @5.0GHz; 2080 Ti, 32GB RAM. Reverb G2; TM Warthog on VPC WarBRD Base, MFG Crosswind V3

On 10/18/2021 at 1:43 PM, Marklar said:

I did a test using Combined Arms and IR suppressors do actually work! Without suppressors I could get a IR signal from 1.7nm but with them attached the distance was reduced to 1.0nm.

They have always worked, I won’t watch the GR video but I assume they thought it would cause a complete decrease in IR signature, which isn’t possible in DCS LUA as all things have only one IR sig between engine on and below AB. In the Mi-8 I always heard it decreased the distance needed for lock by a certain amount without actually changing the IR signature strength, that’s probably the case here

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

No, they did the same test as I did. Hind is flying towards the SAM system and you measure at what point the IR seeker detects the helicopter. In their video they could detect Hind from the same distance whether it carried IR deflectors or not. Based on this I assumed deflectors didn't work back then but they do now.

• Like 1

i9 9700K @5.0GHz; 2080 Ti, 32GB RAM. Reverb G2; TM Warthog on VPC WarBRD Base, MFG Crosswind V3

12 hours ago, Sobakopes said:

Front aspect launch range for stinger is reduced from 2.15 to like 1.2 km. 

However rear aspect launches still happen at ~3 km or so. Why is the rear aspect more vulnerable? 

Exhausts are blocked from LOS at front, at rear they are nearly completely visible from lots of angles, the shrouds help cool it but their effect is biased towards the sides and front and below, places where without the shrouds you would have direct LOS to exhausts 

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

24.10.2021 в 01:00, AeriaGloria сказал:

Exhausts are blocked from LOS at front, at rear they are nearly completely visible from lots of angles, the shrouds help cool it but their effect is biased towards the sides and front and below, places where without the shrouds you would have direct LOS to exhausts 

Actually the dev said that it will be changed in IR rework. 

Right now the game thinks that choppers are jets with huge hot nozzles in the rear. 

EWU reduced the exhaust gas temperature from 500-600 C to 150-200 C and helicopter thermal signature up to 60 %.

from Butowski P., Gruszyński J., Fiszer M., 2006, ,,Śmigłowiec bojowy Mi-24”, Wydawnictwo Magnum X, Warszawa.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Sobakopes said:

Could you explain? I can't understand much in the video. 

The IR SAM is able to get tone at much farther distances on the Hind without IR deflectors than the Hind without IR Deflectors.

Specifically, the SAM loses tone on the IR deflector Hind at 1.7nm, but is able to keep tone on the IR Deflector-less Hind until 3nm

• Like 1

Hm i thought the Hind becomes completely invisible to IR tracking with this diffusor. It looks like cool fresh air is sucked into the deflector and forced-mixed with the hot exhaust gasses to cool them down even more before exiting upwards.

5 hours ago, JetCat said:

Hm i thought the Hind becomes completely invisible to IR tracking with this diffusor. It looks like cool fresh air is sucked into the deflector and forced-mixed with the hot exhaust gasses to cool them down even more before exiting upwards.

Doesn’t mean the exhaust is still normal atmospheric temperature. No baffle or diffuser will make it invisible without having to sacrifice all the power of the engine 

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/333548732_Infrared_Signature_Suppression_Systems_in_Modern_Military_Helicopters

"

In order to additionally improve the helicopter’s thermal signature reduction, ejected fresh air is
used to cool both the engines and the transmission. The engine exhaust nozzles are angled outward
from the airframe to better direct the output into the air-stream and they are cooled with outside air
from rotor downwash (while hovering in place) or with turbulent stream during progressive ight.
Mi -24 Hind is a Russian heavy attack helicopter. During the Afghan war, helicopters were
modernized and they received complex self-defense systems. In the rst phase, the thermal traps
launchers (ares and metallic foil strips ASO- 2W) were added. Helicopters were also equipped
with distracting shields EWU, designed to cool the exhaust gases. EWU reduced the exhaust gas
temperature from 500-600 oC to 150-200 oC and helicopter thermal signature up to 60 %

Edited by Enduro14
  • Like 1

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S