Steam or not to Steam...

abs0lutzer0

Hi All

I have been waiting for this one for a VERY long time.

I am now at a decision and I would like so community help please.

This is not meant as a competition as I have BS on Steam and DCS: A-10C Warthog + DCS: Black Shark 2+ Combined Arms on ED's E-Shop so launchers don't matter and it doesn't really bother me having a lot of different launcher.

My ask is Eagle Nation what are the advantages of the different platforms if any I just wanna buy the EA module I have been waiting for on the right platform.

Thanks for any input.

just my opinion... if you're going to purchase something why not go direct, why deal the middleman? sometimes it may save you money, but then if there' are problems with what you purchased is the middleman just going to direct you to manufacturer anyway... and do you have to continue to deal with middleman just to use what you purchased because somehow he has some control of what you purchased. 

• Like 3

I would say stand-alone e.g. not steam, and for simplicity I would transfer your existing steam licences to dcs directly that way everything is in one place for maximum flexibility,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Steam has way better download speed than the ED servers. Also with the Steam version, the authorization check is processed via Steam servers and not via ED servers. Due to that, Steam guarantees functionality even after the developer/publisher retreats from steam / goes bancrupt. If ED ever stops supporting DCS (i.e. after going bancrupt), the Standalone version will most propably be completely unfunctional and ready for uninstall, while the Steam version will still be functional. At least single player will be. This is IMO the biggest and an unbeatable advantage of the Steam version.

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus + F-15EX / 4x TM Cougar MFD / Slaw Device RX Viper V3 / HP Reverb G2

I started on Steam (well actually I started when the DCS modules were still sold on DVD, but let's not go that far back 😉) mainly because when purchasing on Steam you can both play on Steam and Standalone. Purchase standalone and you'll only be able to play standalone. Also, during sales, modules on Steam are slightly (very slightly) cheaper. Talking like €2,- here.. probably having to do with exchange rates or something..

That said, at some point I purchased the Supercarrier directly from ED, because I was under the impression that it wouldn't be available for pre-purchase on Steam (and with that I would miss out on the 30% discount). Turned out it also became available for pre-purchase on Steam a little later... But by that time I was already settled in standalone and didnt care much to go back to Steam. Never regretted going to standalone

Note that when you buy directly from ED, they will earn more (no middle man), which allows for more improvements and might help avoiding ED to go bankrupt 😋

Anyways... your choice doesn't matter much tbh. ED will probably be happy with any customer, be it directly purchased from ED or via Steam

• Like 2

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

I have been using steam because download speed and because steam updates games automatically.

I have thinking to changing standalone because trials, they are only in standalone. Please notice if you are new you will get "All new DCS World users can take advantage of a 50% discount on their first purchase, regardless of whether they buy just one module or the whole library!"

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/personal/licensing/trial/

"Free to play system that lets you evaluate each of our products for 14 days!

Test one aircraft for two weeks and then another one for next two or maybe download a new terrain at the same time, whatever you fancy. Each product will give you a full fourteen days to evaluate and enjoy without any limitations or obligations.

If you’ve tried a particular product and aren’t 100% certain or want to re-evaluate at a later date, then no worries, once six months has gone by, take it up for another two-week free test flight and decide if you like what you see."

Specs: Ryzen 5800X3D, 32 GB RAM, Geforce RTX 3080, Quest 2, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, MFG Crosswind rudder pedals

I agree with most of what's said that goes towards Standalone.
In my experience, download speed depends on where you are. I have better DL speed from ED servers that maxes out my connection sometimes. Steam or Microsoft don't always achieve that.
Last big update for OB took 5 minutes or so with 62MB/s. My connection is 500Mbps.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

There are some reasons for Steam. Even though most people don't care about it or could find workarounds for the pure standalone version, I can list the Steam benefits anyway.

- You can download both the steam and the standalone version on your PC. One version can be used for experimenting with e.g. mods and the other version for proper flying.

- The pilot logs are bugged in DCS unfortunately. So the hours counted by Steam may help to record your playing time.

- If you like to collect your favorite games in your Steam library, then it saves you another desktop icon.

- The way screenshots are managed by Steam are a nice bonus imho.

- The Steam support might help you recover your account, if needed. However, I have never experienced this myself to report any differences between the Steam and ED support.

- Payments might be a bit more convenient with Steam.

- I once needed to install an older version of DCS. For the standalone version I have found a seemingly complicated guide to accomplish this, but with Steam it was very easy.

- While ED receives more money with standalone purchases, their download servers are relieved by Steam servers. I don't know how important that is, but it might be worth mentioning.

Edited by Tiramisu
  • Like 1

Standalone always - especially so you dont suffer like this post from tonight.

There are no positives with being on steam, screenshots, payments all work fine on standalone.  Certianly nothing complicated about installing standalone either so not sure why the last post found it difficult (just download it from ED website).  Also easy to convert, ask if you dont know or check the forum post.

Alot of negatives,

1 Your running another app taking overhead resource when there is no need.

2 No free trials on modules for 2 weeks before you buy.

3 Flash sales that come on ED and third parties are often prior to steam sales (which is why ever time we have people crying about it).

4 Updates are sometimes released onto standalone pre steam (granted not much of a time delay, but its there).

5 No lock out of modules as per the post from today and the numerous issues steam users have had.

6 Have to update on steam, there are on occastions patches that you may wish to not install until a later one.

7) Lastly think about DCS , do you like it? Do you want better content and quicker bug fixing and module variety?  Well this all costs money so why give a large % of your money to steam when you buy a module as they do nothing.  Imagine if all that money was going straight to ED / Third Party Dev's it means they can afford more man hours, which gives us a better product.  Everyone that cries about dev time and how long for this how long for that, ask yourself are you buying standlone modules, if not then have you got a leg to stand on?  No!  Start buying/supporting and thus helping where it matters.  Think.

Edited by Hawkeye_UK
  • Like 2

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

Since a plus for Steam was mentioned as possible to have installed together with Standalone on same computer as a different version for testing. I will just mention that you kan have as many versions of DCS installed as Standalone as you like. (Takes space of course). You can even share the Saved Games to have one logbook for them all.
Combined with Skatezilla's excellent launcher tool, launching the different versions is a click with the mouse, and upgrading/downgrading between versions if you only want to install one, is as easy as typing in the version you want.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 10/16/2021 at 2:21 AM, VpR81 said:

Steam has way better download speed than the ED servers.

No, it doesn't. It used to, but not anymore. I use standalone and downloading 50+MB/s as I type. They fixed their servers years ago.

If ED ever stops supporting DCS

When, not if. Every product has a shelf life.

(i.e. after going bancrupt)

Far more likely they'll simply move to a new product. You know... like game devs usually do.

the Standalone version will most propably be completely unfunctional and ready for uninstall

Extremely unlikely, considering that's usually only the case with MMOs. Far more likely (and what happens with virtually every other similar game) is that they simply cease development. They would still sell modules, and the DRM doesn't need ''lots of resources'' that would necessitate complete cessation. You know... like with 99% of other games.

while the Steam version will still be functional

Steam can yank your access at any time they wish, just like any other retailer, for politics, disputes with the dev, whatever. You're not ''guaranteed'' anything, including that Steam will even exist in ten years. If Steam's servers shut down because they lose market share to a competitor you lose ALL your games on Steam, unless they also passed out a oatch that removed DRM or at least continued to maintain it (which they probably would, like usual practice).

This is IMO the biggest and an unbeatable advantage of the Steam version.

Considering this ''advantage'' is completely imaginary, yes, it's pretty hard to beat.

@OP

The difference between Steam vs non-Steam is primarily whether or not Steam takes a 30% cut and the launcher you will use. I personally use standalone, so ED and 3rd parties get more money, and then use a non-Steam shortcut to start it (or Skate's GUI, rather) in Steam (for the sake of keeping everything in the same place). Technically if you use Steam, you can use Steam's refund policy as opposed to petitioning ED customer service. Otherwise, there's no functional difference one way or the other.

• Like 1

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

• 2 months later...

just looking at the prices on steam v direct. Currently the latest modules , AH64 is £41 on steam, £56 direct, Mosquito £35 on steam, £48 direct and so forth for older modules, P47 on steam £29, direct £35,  all the modules are about 20% cheaper on steam, so it seems ED are taking us for mugs for using the traditional route and buying directly off them.  If I were starting today, I'd go the steam route. 

• Like 1

• ED Team
40 minutes ago, cwmiforphill said:

Mosquito £35 on steam, £48 direct

DCS: Mosquito FB VI - really 48. But it is a cost in dollars. For pounds, the conversion should be £35.64. The same proportion for the Apache. But in any case, buy it on Steam  if it's more profitable. You can always use this purchase in both versions of the game...

• Like 2

19 hours ago, cwmiforphill said:

just looking at the prices on steam v direct. Currently the latest modules , AH64 is £41 on steam, £56 direct, Mosquito £35 on steam, £48 direct and so forth for older modules, P47 on steam £29, direct £35,  all the modules are about 20% cheaper on steam, so it seems ED are taking us for mugs for using the traditional route and buying directly off them.  If I were starting today, I'd go the steam route. 

When I still purchased via Steam I also noticed that Steam was a tad cheaper than standalone (talking only about €2 though). But, you also earn ED miles when buying directly from ED.

Not sure if these ED miles even out the difference, but they should be mentioned here.

(I know I had some really nice discounts using my ED miles in the past)

Anyway, I think most standalone users want their money to go to ED instead of Steam. Even if that means paying a very minor bit of extra.. I know I do. But each their own of course 🙂 

• Like 1

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

On the subject of ED making more money, one of the things that other devs learned the hard way about going without is that while you make more money per purchase, the difference is moot when it comes to the exposure your game gets. Remember that there are two major flight games available on Steam besides DCS, War Thunder and Ace Combat. Both have quite large player bases, and these players do get DCS in their recommended folders all the time. This means that Steam is basically doing some of the legwork for ED to get more people playing. If ED were to leave Steam, they'd have to do a lot more advertising in order to gain the playerbase they enjoy now, and even a 30sec ad can cost thousands to make, and lord knows how much to distribute, so the money they 'lose' to Steam is money they would've effectively lost anyway trying to advertise the game. And that's assuming they didn't decide to go into merchandising...

"DCS THE FLAME THROWER! The kids'll love this!"

Back in serious land for a bit, again, Steam may take a cut, but ED is a big enough dev that they can negotiate to get a better deal. So while Steam will take, say.... 15% from some random indie developer, ED may only lose 5%, or whatever they negotiated with Valve. But none of us were present at that meeting, so we'll likely never know.

On 1/6/2022 at 4:18 PM, Tank50us said:

Back in serious land for a bit, again, Steam may take a cut, but ED is a big enough dev that they can negotiate to get a better deal. So while Steam will take, say.... 15% from some random indie developer, ED may only lose 5%, or whatever they negotiated with Valve. But none of us were present at that meeting, so we'll likely never know.

Valve takes 30% of every Steam transaction, 25% after 10mil$ and 20% after 50min$. Where did you get those numbers?

6 hours ago, felthat said:

Valve takes 30% of every Steam transaction, 25% after 10mil$ and 20% after 50min$. Where did you get those numbers?

I was using those numbers as examples to make my point. ED isn't some random indiedev, they've been around a while, and have the legal and financial clout to make those negotiations I mentioned. A single person, or small group, simply won't have that.

On 10/16/2021 at 4:15 PM, evilnate said:

I’ve found that steam players have the most issues with file management. Recommend standalone.

From the amount of people I've helped on the discord I can tell you that most people with issues are using standalone, probably as per the statistic when it comes to number of standalone users vs Steam users.

Now, on topic, as a Steam user myself (cue the pitchfork pilots) I have a few reasons of why I'm using the Steam version:

1. Truly automatic updates: I don't need to launch DCS to pull in updates, nor do i need to dive into the task scheduler to schedule an update every n hours. This is a very big one for me as I'd like to turn my PC on in the morning, grab a coffee, and get back to my PC with DCS fully up to date. In the morning (or after a long day of work) I really don't want to bother starting update processes.
  2. Dual licensing makes me feel a bit safer: I own a significant number of modules, it has cost me quite a bit. That slight feeling of being on the safer side is just a plus for me.
  3. Playtime tracking: not a significant part of the experience, but clearly something that is lacking in standalone. Here's to hoping that'll get improved.
  4. Store experience: browsing the DCS page on the Steam store just feels so much better and user-friendlier than the E-shop. Checkout is also much much less of a pain as Steam properly supports my bank whereas last time I checked, for the E-shop I basically have to do everything through PayPal. On top of this I'd like to add that Steam already has access to my billing information whereas ED does not, where possible I like to restrict that information as not every organization needs access to that.
  5. The ability to refund: I've never had to refund anything, but I can't stand being unable to do so. Standalone support is absolutely awesome tho, allowing swapsies/miles in some cases.
  6. Download speed and stability: while standalone has really improved their speeds, it's still not up to par with Steam yet for me with standalone pulling about 80% of what Steam would pull bandwidth-wise. Same with stability, for standalone I'd occasionally have a dropped connection whereas Steam only does so rarely. Not a big problem, but still something I consider noteworthy.

However, for new pilots I most definitely recommend they get the standalone version, and here's why:

1. Trials.
  2. Also, trials.
  3. Yeah, trials.

The trial system ED has introduced has seriously been a game changer, testing out modules and getting a good hands-on experience before you buy them has been invaluable to so many people already.

• Like 1

2920X | 128GB 3200MHz CL14 | RTX 2070 | Gentoo/Win10
Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind v3 | TrackIR 5/VIVE Pro
Sparkle | Δ/DSM | DEAD/STRIKE/CSAR

steam.png nootshell | discord.png nootshell#9001