Armor (Tank) modules revisited

High Fidelity/Accurate Armor (Tank) modules for DCS world  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see Tank or other Armor modules created by ED or Third Party Devs?

• Yes
    • No

To build a vehicle module, need ED build the propper dll, funtionality (track / wheel phisics, Armour / Vehicle damage model, and more) and properties to insert a cockpit on a vehicle, similar to a aircraft, helo or SC (Ship). That is not a improved CA. A vehicle without a base has only a AI as actually. For them, need expand the "CA team" to convert them on the "ground team".

Some need remember some years ago when Wags request pics about the M1 interiors. Surelly a M1 "Tank Platton" will like to see into DCS. As the FPS, surely that can coming from the military.

Remember DCS has a land/air/sea simulator, see ground modules has only a matter of time.

Edited by Silver_Dragon

More news to the front

Wishlist: ED / 3rd Party Campaings

My Rig: Intel I-5 750 2.67Ghz / Packard Bell FMP55 / 16 GB DDR3 RAM / GTX-1080 8 GB RAM / HD 1Tb/2Tb / Warthog / 2 MDF / TFPR

DCS: Roadmap (unofficial):https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=116893

DCS: List of Vacant models: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=4076891#post4076891

21Squad DCS: World News: https://www.facebook.com/21Squad-219508958071000/

Silver_Dragon Youtube

43 minutes ago, Desert Fox said:

If you only had read the thread... core improvements and shit, you know?

Very well, I will answer the question posted in the thread as directly as I can.

"Would you like to see Tank or other Armor modules created by ED or Third Party Devs?"

Not in DCS as it is now, ground combat is too barebones to do them justice. I would also not like ED to focus their development on ground combat as I feel those resources should be spent elsewhere.

43 minutes ago, Desert Fox said:

Why would you put a helicopter in a fixed wing game?!?!?! Oh damn, why did they not produce a new game for the Apache or the Hind?!?!?! Oh weeeh. 😄

You're way off topic and i just remember why you had been on my ignore list already.

Well then, for the benefit of others I guess, since you're ignoring me while also replying to me. And being off topic.

They didn't. They had a helicopter game (BS) and a fixed wing game (A-10C) and an older fixed wing game (LOMAC/FC) and they merged them all together at one point. Then, if memory serves me right, they added the Mustang into the mix. To this day I remember how we all felt this was a logical direction to go... why are you even asking me to explain why ED does what ED does? I'm not in their heads.

As for what's my take on where DCS should go - again, for the benefit of others, cause you clearly don't care - I see two good, non mutually exclusive reasons for DCS to expand into new areas. Either a lot of the existing assets, systems and mechanics can be reused or the new area of simulation will synergize well with the existing ones. A good example of an area where this would be the case could be air defense systems. Not sure there's a market for this, but it would make sense to me. We have good enough maps, targets with decent AI, there are obvious gameplay synergies. Existing gameplay benefits, new gameplay gets a head start with most of the core systems in place. A good example where this would very much not be the case could be, say, subsurface warfare - pretty much nothing gets reused here, everything needs to be built from scratch and there are no interactions with the existing gameplay.

Edited by lmp

To answer the question of this thread, definitely YES for any and all improvements to the ground war, especially for more detailed/ better modeled ground vehicles, and improved AI infantry. The biggest reason ED should IMO is one of the best things about DCS World... Combined Arms!

I know there must be a lot of people that enjoy using Combined Arms the way it is meant to be enjoyed, but I am surprised to say the least at how many people don't even seem to know its a thing. I think Combined Arms has to be one of the most underrated, misunderstood parts of DCS World, yet it helps form the most important aspect of a digital combat simulator and is arguably one of the most powerful and intuitive software components of DCS.

How many times have I heard someone repeat the misconception that the ground war is not possible in DCS, or that the maps wont support it, or that planes and tanks cannot coexist on a map? How many people have answered in these threads with claims that ED would first have to bring new maps, AI capabilities, weapon and damage modeling... and the list goes on? All of these things are not only here now... they are well advanced. 

The linked video below was taken from a single player mission with Combined Arms installed, and demonstrates how easy it is to get planes and tanks to interact with one another, and how realistic/capable the ground war already is in DCS. While it took a couple hours of game play to balance both red and blue teams, the mission itself took less than an hour to set up. A point worth mentioning here is that there were no real players in the video, meaning the action is all AI. While I was free to take control as either a pilot, or tank commander, the video was meant to show off the state of AI capabilities. In other words, as a single player controlling a vehicle/plane, DCS World is capable of generating very intense, realistic action scenarios using its AI assets.

And it doesn't stop there. Combined Arms not only allows me to create some of the most immersive single player engagements I have ever experienced on any platform, I can also create multi-player, or a mix of players and AI assets with the same level and intensity of action. DCS World and Combined Arms are perfect for any size group of players. Simply adjust the number of AI assets to deliver the desired level of action. The detail, realism, and intensity of the ground war action in DCS World already outclasses a number of other available platforms, and it is still in a relatively early stage. 

For anyone that does not understand how jets/planes/tanks/infantry can interact with each other, they have either never used Combined Arms, or are missing the point completely. The interaction is up to the person creating the mission. You might want to include Close Air Support for ground units that are trying to capture/defend an objective. Or you might want to pit ground units that come equipped with their own air defense assets against fast ground attack aircraft. You could also have aerial combat raging overhead while a ground war plays out below. The point is it is up to you, and the possibilities are only limited by your imagination.        

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Love the demo you put together.  Very good example of Combined Arms in it current state.  I could not agree with you more.  The idea DCS is not in a state for ground warfare is an obsolete statement at this point.  It does not take but a minute or two to YouTube players taking advantage of Combined Arms and having a good time.  Does it need some improvements, absolutely, however I do feel the maps are at a state where they could utilize an armor module.  We have people in its current state enjoying the very generic units you can play with now.  As I have always stated in the past, this is a no brainer.  Its not a matter of if, just a matter of when will DCS do it.  As with everything in DCS world, I hope it is sooner than later, but I will take whatever comes first.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Devil 505 said:

Love the demo you put together.  Very good example of Combined Arms in it current state.  I could not agree with you more.  The idea DCS is not in a state for ground warfare is an obsolete statement at this point.  It does not take but a minute or two to YouTube players taking advantage of Combined Arms and having a good time.  Does it need some improvements, absolutely, however I do feel the maps are at a state where they could utilize an armor module.  We have people in its current state enjoying the very generic units you can play with now.  As I have always stated in the past, this is a no brainer.  Its not a matter of if, just a matter of when will DCS do it.  As with everything in DCS world, I hope it is sooner than later, but I will take whatever comes first.

I agree, even the air war improves when you add the ground war with it IMO. Personally, I like to set my missions up so that I do the flying part first, then switch to ground units to finish up the mission objectives. But if your playing with a group of people, it would be just as easy to have everyone assigned to a duty/task throughout the mission, or have them roam to different vehicles as they desire/need. And that is the thing with Combined Arms IMO, it adds so much flexibility with not only what you can do, but what you do it in.

Thanks for starting this thread because I really think ED should give the ground war another look sooner than later.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, StevanJ said:

Nice, was that a Hind, defeating 3 A10C's in a dogfight?

Yes you are right, and I could have just as easily showed an air defense unit doing the same.

That mission used the Caucasus map and had more then 50 armored vehicles, and 18 aircraft I think. If all you did was downloaded DCS World for free and bought Combined Arms, you could drive any and all of the ground units, or fly the SU-25T if you like.

As a single player, if the tank you are in gets destroyed you simple pick another one from the F10 map to spawn into. I am quite sure you know this, but I am reciting it here for the benefit of anyone that has never tried Combined Arms yet.

It's a lot of fun, and contrary to what a lot of other people have said about CA, I have the most fun when I include aircraft. In the video I showed, there is easily enough there to keep 4 or 5 guys on each side busy for the duration of the mission if anyone wanted to run something like that on a MP server.

• Like 2

Appreciate the positive feedback.  Always good to hear.  I know ED monitors these threads a lot so I doubt it is falling on deaf ears.  Like you said, hope we see some improvement sooner than later.  I started another forum on this page specifically addressing CA and its current state.  The dude in the video is a former vet who plays a lot of Steel Beasts and Combined Arms.  His video is really worth a watch.  Talks about his experience and what Combined Arms is lacking with Strykers.  Good stuff!

Edited by Devil 505
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1