Aircraft shelters and groundcrew.

NLKiwiflyer

In DCS 2.7 shelter doors now open on mission start, which is great, but they don't re-open on return even though one assigns the parking number in the aircraft's profile, or the aircraftb returns within 5 minutes.

Also, in previous versions I placed AI 'groundcrew' inside the shelter which was realistic, but in ED seems to have disabled that since 2.5; 'Crew' or equipment now appears on top of the shelter. Why?

Is it that hard to include 'groundcrew' figures in the AI options? It's all about immersion and first impression. Sitting in a cockpit with no ground crew or vehicles around is not realistic at all. If ED developers can create supercarrier AI personnel, then it shouldn't be too hard to offer these in standard mission editor as well, surely?

• Like 4

6 hours ago, NLKiwiflyer said:

In DCS 2.7 shelter doors now open on mission start, which is great, but they don't re-open on return even though one assigns the parking number in the aircraft's profile, or the aircraftb returns within 5 minutes.

Also, in previous versions I placed AI 'groundcrew' inside the shelter which was realistic, but in ED seems to have disabled that since 2.5; 'Crew' or equipment now appears on top of the shelter. Why?

Is it that hard to include 'groundcrew' figures in the AI options? It's all about immersion and first impression. Sitting in a cockpit with no ground crew or vehicles around is not realistic at all. If ED developers can create supercarrier AI personnel, then it shouldn't be too hard to offer these in standard mission editor as well, surely?

I have never been able to place static units in hangars or HAS. I think you were probably just lucky you got a unit in there.

Would indeed be great if ED would somehow allow us to do that.

On the matter of shelter doors opening on return. I also agree, that would be a nice touch.

(Though in MP that would probably result in lots of players taxiing in, nose first and then being "stuck" 😂)

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

I get that animated ground crew is a bit of a touchy subject business-wise since the animated deck crew are a major selling point of the Supercarrier module.

On the topic of hangar doors, I would actually prefer that to be tackled at the top. For example a ground crew comms menu option to Open/Close Doors, while of course involving the comms menu yet again, would enable a fairly dynamic operation of it. The main work would be to define the areas from which doors should be operable, or compile a proper list of the objects in question as to measure distances.

And having said all that. Just completed a mission where the shelter stayed open until RTB, but the wingman's one closed yet on arrival back opened again.

Used F2 to monitor it's arrival and expected it to stay closed, but it didn't, some 50 meters out, they opened! Magic! 

Tried it on another mission but sadly it didn't work, so what's the trigger?

Re the groundcrew, it wouldn't at first have to be animated as indeed that's a selling point for Supercarrier, but like Infantry soldiers, just static Ai shouldn't be difficult.

TempestRiser: yes sound the same. It might even be the same as when AI aircraft are close, they often won't land or take off if the 'Player' a/c is nearby.