RedKite posted a Jester AI LANTIRN Tutorial

lax22

The slew rate in that mode is limited to 25%, so its effectiveness is reduced to only small corrections. Our goal was very close to what Spurts summarised nicely in his comment:

4 hours ago, Spurts said:

simply amazing implementation!  Those head modes are a brilliant way to simulated audible callouts, "Smoke by the road, 1 o'clock" or "bridge support by wpt" 

So we wanted to emulate you giving directions to Jester, like: "that tall building next to the crossroads", or "move it a bit down".

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Krzysztof Sobczak

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Wow, that update is very impressive. 

Love it!

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

Aww it’s all recorded in the F-14A. Was hoping to get a sneak peak of the new F-14B EIGT.

• Like 1

-Tinkerer, Certified F-14 and AIM-54 Nut | Discord: @dsplayer

Setup: i7-8700k, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB 3066Mhz, Lots of Storage, Saitek/Logitech X56 HOTAS, TrackIR + TrackClipPro
Modules: F-14, F/A-18, JF-17, F-16C, Mirage 2000C, FC3, F-5E, Mi-24P, AJS-37, AV-8B, A-10C II, AH-64D, MiG-21bis, F-86F, MiG-19P, P-51D, Mirage F1, L-39, C-101, SA342M, Ka-50 III, Supercarrier, F-15E
Maps: Caucasus, Marianas, South Atlantic, Persian Gulf, Syria, Nevada

Mods I've Made: F-14 Factory Clean Cockpit Mod | Modern F-14 Weapons Mod | Iranian F-14 Weapons Pack | F-14B Nozzle Percentage Mod + Label Fix | AIM-23 Hawk Mod for F-14 

49 minutes ago, draconus said:

It's cool and all but direct head control over LANTIRN? And you were to disable LANTIRN mod but allow this? Can this function be disabled somehow?

Best regards

Realistic Police

Think about it like this: In real life, the pilot could talk Jester on to the target  "A bit more to the left... right" "Come left.." etc. So it is not that far fetched actually. Also; in real life, a competent RIO would do all this stuff by himself and tell the pilot what to do- so don't think any of these features gives an unrealistic/unfair advantage at all. Overall I am really impressed (and looking forward to a hopefully quick Voiceattack/AIRIO implementation).

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, draconus said:

It's cool and all but direct head control over LANTIRN? And you were to disable LANTIRN mod but allow this? Can this function be disabled somehow?

Best regards

Realistic Police

Im able to copy the Lantirn key binds from RIO to Pilot, and use them without issue. Which mod are you referring to?

7 minutes ago, Pacientis said:

Im able to copy the Lantirn key binds from RIO to Pilot, and use them without issue. Which mod are you referring to?

HB said they’re going to remove the ability for mods like Pilot LANTIRN to work after the implementation of Jester LANTIRN.

Edited by DSplayer

Setup: i7-8700k, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB 3066Mhz, Lots of Storage, Saitek/Logitech X56 HOTAS, TrackIR + TrackClipPro
Modules: F-14, F/A-18, JF-17, F-16C, Mirage 2000C, FC3, F-5E, Mi-24P, AJS-37, AV-8B, A-10C II, AH-64D, MiG-21bis, F-86F, MiG-19P, P-51D, Mirage F1, L-39, C-101, SA342M, Ka-50 III, Supercarrier, F-15E

Mods I've Made: F-14 Factory Clean Cockpit Mod | Modern F-14 Weapons Mod | Iranian F-14 Weapons Pack | F-14B Nozzle Percentage Mod + Label Fix | AIM-23 Hawk Mod for F-14 

Personally I preferred  using the LANTIRN from the front seat. Technically speaking, telling Jester to press a button via the Jester menu is the same as pressing it yourself, only that more complicated. And you wouldn't need to add a magic IFF or this sort of HMCS. This last two things are way less realistic that just slewing from the front. Also, what is the difference of slewing with your head than slewing with a 4-way switch?

I can only imaginal all the cumbersome situation that this would generate. Same as with the radar. Trying to scan a approaching bandit or searching in a certain sector, and start moving your head like crazy trying to go though all the pages of the Jester menu, and not getting what you need. Is very frustrating, and would be solve by simply being able to move the radar azimuth and elevation, I don't mind using the jester menu to turn off the radar, or jettison drop tanks, but slewing a sensor, is just to much.

The implementation show that heatblur put a lot of effort on this but I'm not fond of this philosophy and seems quite a bit intransigent. Also, this development time could have been put on good use elsewhere.

I wish someday we would be able to change cockpit in multiplayer. Take off and land from the from, cruise from the back. And a backseat human with LANTIRN and Iceman as a pilot would have way more sense.

Hope this is not take on a bad way. Just an opinion.

Edited by RPY Variable
  • Thanks 1

Interl i7 6700k - 32Gb RAM DDR4 - RX 590 8GB - Sentey 32"2560x1440 - Saitek X-55 - TrackIr 3

51 minutes ago, LanceCriminal86 said:

Attention to detail my dude

1:44 timestamp

Oof that's true!

Spoiler

unknown.png

You (Heatblur Simulations e DCS World by Eagle Dynamics) could add the human animations to the CVN-59 Deck just like SuperCarrier. Of course, it would only work if you buy the SuperCarrier module. That would be very welcome.

• Like 4

|Motherboard|: Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS,

|WaterCooler|: Corsair H115i Pro,

|CPU|: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X,

|RAM|: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz DDR4,

|SSD|: Kingston A2000 500GB M.2 NVMe,

|SSD|: Kingston 2.5´ 480GB UV400 SATA III,

|SSHD|: Seagate Híbrido 2TB 7200RPM SATA III,

|GPU|: MSI Gaming 980Ti,

|Monitor|: LG UltraWide 34UM68,

|Joystick 1|: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog,

|Joystick 2|: T.Flight Rudder Pedals,

|Head Motion|: TrackIr 5.

1 hour ago, ThorBrasil said:

You (Heatblur Simulations e DCS World by Eagle Dynamics) could add the human animations to the CVN-59 Deck just like SuperCarrier. Of course, it would only work if you buy the SuperCarrier module. That would be very welcome.

I think this is their long term plan. Won't come over day or during EA obviously. 

Yeah what's wrong with using radar cursor instead of head? I get ache on my neck after playing with jester 

• Like 1

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

I'm looking forward to vaicom picking up the game. It just feels so great to just talk to Jester doing things and I hope I will be able to talk him on the Lantirn target as well, even so I would like it more to him picking target by his own and telling me where to drive him. 

That's the beauty of multiplayer. Suddenly you don't have to manage a 2 seater by yourself since you are having an actual Rio in the back doing all this work while I can have my feets on the dash and zip my ice cold coors light he provided. 

Long Story short, I never had any Lantirn mods installed, if someone wants me to move some precision mud, he either be buddy lasing or provide me a RIO, simple as that. But now, with my buddy Jester, that might change and I think it will be another marvel heatblur is providing me to enjoy the Tomcat for another couple hundert flight hours. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Super Grover said:

So we wanted to emulate you giving directions to Jester, like: "that tall building next to the crossroads", or "move it a bit down".

I get it. You could have done this by: Jester menu, voice command or a direct bind which says "Jester move it a bit..." but direct control is just unrealistic and fail as simulation goes. I see that gamey control is cool and popular here so I don't want to force anything on casual arcade players but an option for disabling direct control would be nice. Or vice versa make the direct control available in some optional game mode adding also radar control for pilot too to make players happy.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Thank you for the suggestion on Jester menu. We tried it, and it didn't pass the functional tests. I want to add that despite the option being called 'direct head control', it's still Jester controlling the pod. For example, you may notice that when "direct head control" is selected from the menu, the steering helpers sometimes don't appear immediately. This is because Jester may need to finish his current task and move his hand to the LANTIRN stick before you ask him to slew the pod. I'd call it the last resort mode when you need to target something very specific and not an object as the rest of the modes are more automatic and usually much more handful.

Last but not least, using it is 100% optional, so if you find it spoiling your experience, you can choose from a variety of other modes.

Nonetheless, I would ask you to avoid calling people who have different opinions on the simulation 'casual arcade players' as some may find it offensive.

Edited by Super Grover
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 4

Krzysztof Sobczak

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Fair enough, thx. I'll have to check it when available before judging.

Apart of that all the rest looks great - thank you for your great work - it was highly anticipated. :thumbup:

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

1 hour ago, draconus said:

I get it. You could have done this by: Jester menu, voice command or a direct bind which says "Jester move it a bit..." but direct control is just unrealistic and fail as simulation goes. I see that gamey control is cool and popular here so I don't want to force anything on casual arcade players but an option for disabling direct control would be nice. Or vice versa make the direct control available in some optional game mode adding also radar control for pilot too to make players happy.

Yeah but how does this affect others? You can decide not to use it if it bothers you. Also this is a game, not some hardcore professional sim. Or do you follow each startup exactly by NATOPS and never exceed ops limits? What about the Viper with 4x HARM's or the fact that FC3 is a thing in this game? This exact feature is nothing more that giving Jester a talkon and nothing a decent human RIO wouldn't be able to do. I really don't understand why this bothers you or how this is some unfair advantage? 

Obviously everyone has their opinion. 

Edited by Airhunter
  • Like 2

@Airhunter please don't confuse what's been done IRL with what's possible. What bothers me are things that are not possible IRL like 3min repairs and pilots controlling LANTRIN in a study sim. I'm not bothered by things that were possible but never used like F-14 w/Zunis or those 4 HARM's on F-16 (so I heard) which wouldn't need additional modifications. It's not about MP or advantage it may give.

35 minutes ago, ST0RM said:

Honestly, waiting a year for the Forrestal only to find that its an empty deck? Rather anti-climatic.
So if it was "ready" last December, then what happened? 

I really hope that down the line it'll be supercarrier functionality equipped (at least as far as deck crew and comms go).

• Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

35 minutes ago, ST0RM said:

Honestly, waiting a year for the Forrestal only to find that its an empty deck? Rather anti-climatic.
So if it was "ready" last December, then what happened? 

The deck doesn't need to be empty. You can place the SC deck crew all over the deck as you would like them in the mission editor, the only thing missing is the animated crew signaling you at the catapult (and that will probably get added later when they work it out with ED). I'm sure that they have done an awesome job making the Forrestal look amazing.

• Like 2

just make Jester menu clickable please

• Like 1

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5