Magic's Modified Mustang Makeup

Magic Zach

4.jpg

This mod is a texture revamp of the defautl P-51D skins within DCS.  it is an attempt to bring the Mustang's graphical fidelity closer to ED's latest texture standards.

Version: 1.0.1 (10/16/21)

This is a WIP personal project.  That means that working on this depends and uses my time, so I'm not going to be consistent.  And the WIP also means that this mod will continually be updated!  That means for the latest version with the newest features and latest bug fixes, you need to check in here or the DCS Userfiles occasionally.  I will make a post here for every update I make.
This thread is primarily for bug reports from you guys, feedback, and progress updates from myself.
"Progress updates?  Like what?"
I will try to do major updates in phases.  Planned features upcoming, in lose order, are: additional/modified weathering, increased texture resolution, completely overhauled rivet and fastener scheme, followed by an overhauled normal map.  These last two are pretty far off.  We'll see how this goes.  As I work on these, I'll probably post little snips of the work in here.

NOTE: NOT ALL SKINS FOR THE 51 ARE CURRENTLY INCLUDED.  MORE MAY COME LATER.
Modified default skins currently include:
RAF 19 Sqn Jun 44
RAF 64 Sqn Jun 44
RAF 112 Sqn
RAF 122 Sqn Jun 44
RAF 129 Sqn Jun 44
RAF 306 Sqn Jun 44
RAF 315
USAF 84th FS
USAF 363rd FS
USAF 364th FS
USAF 375th FS
USAF 485th FS

Download is available here on the DCS website: Magic's Modified Mustang Makeup [M4] (digitalcombatsimulator.com)

6.jpg

Edited by Magic Zach
editing
  • Like 1

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

2.jpg

3.jpg

1.jpg

5.jpg

demo.jpg

• Like 3

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Even though I don't use stock skins really, these look awesome on previews and If they're made by the venerable Master-Mustang-Nitpicker himself ;), It would be a shame not to have them in one's DCS install. Downloading now! Thanks a lot.

EDIT: after a quick test flight, I do have an improvement suggestion, however. You textures seem to be lacking the fake ambient occlusion layer in the wheel wells (haven't looked into radiator ducts yet). That does cause an effect where they appear lit flat all around with no depth or shading present. Originals were better in this regard - comparison shots below (yours on top, stock ones below).

comparison.jpg

Edited by Art-J
Added first impressions.
  • Like 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

On 10/13/2021 at 1:46 PM, Art-J said:

Even though I don't use stock skins really, these look awesome on previews and If they're made by the venerable Master-Mustang-Nitpicker himself ;), It would be a shame not to have them in one's DCS install. Downloading now! Thanks a lot.

EDIT: after a quick test flight, I do have an improvement suggestion, however. You textures seem to be lacking the fake ambient occlusion layer in the wheel wells (haven't looked into radiator ducts yet). That does cause an effect where they appear lit flat all around with no depth or shading present. Originals were better in this regard - comparison shots below (yours on top, stock ones below).

comparison.jpg

Oh, good spot!  I'll be sure to fix that.  I'll try to remember to get this fixed for all the skins currently in before next Monday at the most.  I'll make a post here when it's uploaded.

This will be the first addition, or rather the start, of the changelog 🙂

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Version 1.0.1 released and available to download!
When updating it in your file structure, just drag it into the mods folder and click "Replace File In Destination" 👍

-Fixed shadow errors with the wheel wells
-Fixed/removed 485th invasion stripes on tail
-Bug fix for 84th battery vent

V1.0.0 Wheel wells

unknown.png

V1.0.1 Wheel wells:

unknown.png

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]