• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So, what if, and stay with me here, we got the skis to use in the winter in the caucasus map? I know it's a very little thing in the grand scheme of things and perhaps something absurd, but hey it adds to immersion so might as well give it a chance.

Picture for illustrative purposes

url.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

While it seems small I think this would add a lot more character to the current maps... Snow in DCS right now is basically white dirt, but even then having dedicated skis would be wonderful

• Like 1

ASUS Tuf X570 Pro Wifi | Ryzen 7 5800X | 4x8gb 3200Mhz GSkill/Crucial | Gigabyte RTX 3060 TI | 1 500gb Samsung 860 EVO Boot SSD | 2 500gb HDD | 500gb Crucial NVMe (With DCS install) | EVGA 650BQ  |  Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + TM TF Rudder Pedals | TrackIr 5 | A handy dandy notepad ; )

F-5E | A-10CII | F-14 | FC3 | F-16 | F/A-18 | M2kC | MiG-19 | Sa342 | UH-1H | Ka-50 | L-39 | C-101 | P-51D | FW-190 D-9 | F-86 | Combined Arms | Mi-24P | Mi-8 | NS430 | Apache | "Christian" Eagle II ✝️ | Mirage F1

Primary Aircraft = Strong Red | Secondary Aircraft = Orange | Rarely Used = Yellow | Dead Aircraft/Not Bound = Purple | Recent Spike of Use = Teal/Cyan/Aquamarine/Whatever you want to call this

Just an observation.  I think this is 2 requests in 1, you guys aren’t asking for a cosmetic addition your asking for  actual concept of skis spreading ground pressure out. But your also asking for ed to model snow in depth in order to make it worthwhile. Which they could do a blanket coverage of x depth anywhere is snow and it always reacts the same. Or they could rng it, either way. Interesting request. 

So for winter ops, AH-64’s can be equipped with ski’s (as shown below). It would be a nice/cool feature for our Apache to have as well, albeit a visual one only most likely, i figure this would take minimal dev time to model/get working on the module. Hope to see it added in the future as it would be great for snowy maps like Caucasus and the upcoming South Atlantic terrain 

6AE130F6-98BC-4C94-B0ED-04CDCE7E422D.png

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Incredibly unfortunate that this isn't planned, but I have to ask: Even if it isn't planned, could it be possible to add lets say +1 year into the modules future? It's obviously not critical to the module's existence, but it would be nice because its the only module that caught my eye with skis...

ASUS Tuf X570 Pro Wifi | Ryzen 7 5800X | 4x8gb 3200Mhz GSkill/Crucial | Gigabyte RTX 3060 TI | 1 500gb Samsung 860 EVO Boot SSD | 2 500gb HDD | 500gb Crucial NVMe (With DCS install) | EVGA 650BQ  |  Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + TM TF Rudder Pedals | TrackIr 5 | A handy dandy notepad ; )

F-5E | A-10CII | F-14 | FC3 | F-16 | F/A-18 | M2kC | MiG-19 | Sa342 | UH-1H | Ka-50 | L-39 | C-101 | P-51D | FW-190 D-9 | F-86 | Combined Arms | Mi-24P | Mi-8 | NS430 | Apache | "Christian" Eagle II ✝️ | Mirage F1

Primary Aircraft = Strong Red | Secondary Aircraft = Orange | Rarely Used = Yellow | Dead Aircraft/Not Bound = Purple | Recent Spike of Use = Teal/Cyan/Aquamarine/Whatever you want to call this

• 4 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, FoxOne007 said:

Why are these [Not Planned] it’s a legit thing used by the US Army and other countries. Even if it’s just a cosmetic item it’s still very welcome. It would literally take half a day start to finish to make and add them. 

Well, ED does not agree with one or more of your statements.

• ED Team

Well, probably for the same reason as the APKWS not being planned due to the timeframe being modeled. 1-25 ARB didn't stand up in Alaska as an Apache unit until 2015. So if skis weren't in use by US Army Apaches until 2015, that would fall outside the 2005-2010 window of the variant being simulated.

Bottom line, the DCS Apache variant and the skis never existed at the same time, and wouldn't be realistic.

Edited by Raptor9
because I can't spell apparently
  • Like 2

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

20 minutes ago, Raptor9 said:

Well, probably for the same reason as the APKWS not being planned due to the timeframe being modeled. 1-25 ARB didn't stand up in Alaska as an Apache unit until 2015. So if skis weren't in use by US Army Apaches until 2015, that would fall outside the 2015-2010 window of the variant being simulated.

Bottom line, the DCS Apache variant and the skis never existed at the same time, and wouldn't be realistic.

Ski’s have been in use for wayyyy earlier than 2015. Alaska is not the only place that gets snow…

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team
6 minutes ago, FoxOne007 said:

Ski’s have been in use for wayyyy earlier than 2015.

Not in the US Army they haven't. As far as I know, the only other service that uses skis on their Apache is the Japanese. But again, that's not the variant ED is modelling.

Edited by Raptor9
  • Like 1

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • ED Team
51 minutes ago, Sepp666 said:

Somebody of ED can say something about this? 

They did a while ago; it's not planned. Such an item would also be outside the timeframe of the variant being modelled in game.

DCS Rotor-Head