Rhubarb Radar Raid Ai

Bagpipe

I am having trouble getting the Ai to attack the objective in this mission. 

I have tried using "attack ground targets", "attack primary and rejoin" and "attack air defense" but although they acknowledge the command they still come home with all their bombs still firmly strapped to the wings.

I landed a decent hit in the centre of the radars which took out one or two units but had the wingmen have finished the job we would have been laughing, instead you are left to loiter in the target area taking AAA fire hoping that they will attack but they just don't... it's frustrating.

As an aside, this is an age old issue with the DCS Ai which you see crop up time and time again on the various social platforms, isn't it time it got sorted out? 

Thanks

Edited by Bagpipe

7 hours ago, Nealius said:

Is this from a DLC campaign? I don't see a Rhubarb mission in the P-47's instant action or single player missions.

Nope, definitely included with the module for the channel single missions

Capture.PNG

see this post too, 

RRR....not exactly a useful filename heh.

It looks like they set the player flight task as "Ground Attack" and didn't assign any triggers to actually attack...Ground Attack can't do anything except bomb points on a map anyways so this mission file is a bit half-baked....

I changed the task to CAS and assigned them to attack the radar group. Try this .miz file and see if it works. Order your wingmen to attack primary. 

Edited by Nealius
  • Like 1

Thanks dude I will give that a go. Hopefully if it works, ED can just switch their file for yours and that's one less thing to worry about.

EDIT: they certainly do engage primary though I took a one hit kill to my engine from the AAA that time so wound up as a fireball forcing my Ai wingmen to get the hell outta dodge but I think by the looks of it that switching the Ai mission type has worked. Now all that is needed is to correct the nav bearing cues so that they match the course and it will be perfect 

Edited by Bagpipe

5 hours ago, Bagpipe said:

Roughly yeah

Probably magnetic declination. That area of Kent and France has 10 degrees easterly declination in 1944, so if the mission date is 1944 you'll have to subtract 10 degrees from all the written headings in the briefing/F10 map ruler. 

Today there's practically no declination in that region, so if the mission date is 2016 or so the headings will match.

Edited by Nealius

27 minutes ago, Nealius said:

Probably magnetic declination. That area of Kent and France has 10 degrees easterly declination in 1944, so if the mission date is 1944 you'll have to subtract 10 degrees from all the written headings in the briefing/F10 map ruler. 

Today there's practically no declination in that region, so if the mission date is 2016 or so the headings will match.

I expected that though this is the popup navigation assistance which guides you at each waypoint with what heading to turn to, if it is supposed to simulate a GCI guiding you on to target then that GCI should be fired.

Edited by Bagpipe

Thank you for providing feedback for this particular mission, it is appreciated. I have flown the mission in its vanilla state and I haven’t encountered any issues with the AI not bombing when instructed.

Assigning the AI as ground attack has nothing to do with how they decide to respond to the request to attack the target as can clearly be seen in both the attached .trk file and the short video which was made from that .trk file. So the mission is not “half baked” by any stretch of the imagination. Forgive the flying during the .trk file creation as I had not bound all the controls in OpenBeta….plus I am not the best P47 pilot.

As for the navigational issues you have encountered, I will update the on screen briefing document to include reference to following the gyro compass heading during the mission; as that is not clear from the outset. Doing so does get you to the target location, when following the onscreen navigational prompts.

If you still have issues with the AI then please provide a .trk file for review and I will take a look for you. Many thanks.

P47RRR.trk

• Thanks 1

Callsign: NAKED

My YouTube Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

8 hours ago, SUNTSAG said:

Thank you for providing feedback for this particular mission, it is appreciated. I have flown the mission in its vanilla state and I haven’t encountered any issues with the AI not bombing when instructed.

Assigning the AI as ground attack has nothing to do with how they decide to respond to the request to attack the target as can clearly be seen in both the attached .trk file and the short video which was made from that .trk file. So the mission is not “half baked” by any stretch of the imagination. Forgive the flying during the .trk file creation as I had not bound all the controls in OpenBeta….plus I am not the best P47 pilot.

As for the navigational issues you have encountered, I will update the on screen briefing document to include reference to following the gyro compass heading during the mission; as that is not clear from the outset. Doing so does get you to the target location, when following the onscreen navigational prompts.

If you still have issues with the AI then please provide a .trk file for review and I will take a look for you. Many thanks.

P47RRR.trk 6.71 MB · 0 downloads

Hi Suntsag,

Hope you're well. The Ai issue, for me at least, was remedied by using the miz file provided by Nealius. Whether this is a core DCS issue or a mission setting issue I will leave up to ED to decide though it has been a bug bear for many for a while now so I doubt it is mission specific in hind sight.

Loving the new missions, briefing overlays and voice overs, really adds that authenticity and they are at a good pace for comprehending. 

Keep up the good work and thanks for offering to adjust the briefing for me, even if it was most likely an oversight/operator error on my part 🙂

EDIT: ahhh...i watched the video now, you are using "second element" commands and engage with? Hmm, I always use "Flight" commands and they do not respond, maybe that is the issue then? I will try the original mission your way and see if it works ok for me. Could be a break through moment right here! lol

Edited by Bagpipe

Test results: Ai did indeed attack primary when assigned the engage with command. I tested both second element and wingman commands and they both set up for a successful attacking run. I took a hit to the elevator while loitering which made my own attack pretty poor this time around but was all good and fun.

I suppose then the million dollar question is, "why aren't the Ai responding properly to "Flight, Engage..." commands?"

I dare say using "Flight, engage with" may even work but then what would the point be in the former? 

Thanks

6 hours ago, Nealius said:

"Flight..." commands should work. I know rejoin, RTB, and engage bandits do, as I've been using them frequently. If they aren't responding to ground attack orders there might be something broken with the AI comms.

Yes, you're right formation change, navigation commands and engage bandits do seem to work fine. Ground attack has never worked for me until I tried the other command types discussed above. Maybe the "Flight" ground attack commands rely on the flight's mission type and this is why it works with your version of the miz and not the original?

I will have to do some more testing on it some time to get to the bottom of it