Warbird descent profiles and engine settings

Nealius

Descending from altitude seems to be my biggest problem with the inline DCS warbirds, primarily the Spitfire, but it also sometimes applies to the Mustang and 109 as well. 

The problem is, to maintain a sane speed like 250mph, I have to reduce power so much that I overcool the engine and she dies in the pattern. 

To prevent overcooling I have to keep power on, then I'm screaming down at 320mph. 

And that's at -2000fpm. 

What are some more standard descent profiles and power settings to not overcool your engine while simultaneously not coming down like a speed demon?

Edited by Nealius

Descent is quite problematic thing, since you can't over cool engine so cut power is not an option. After you descend, like @Callsign112 siad, pull 1 or 2 sharp turns, then you bleed your speed, or start your descent early. 

Spitfire is the most problematic at this moment since it misses thermostatic valve simulation. it maybe be the case that descent will be almost impossible in case of spitfire, but rest of warbirds you should be fine.

Edited by grafspee
  • Like 1

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

If you don't have enough fuel to add turns? In many of the Spitfire campaigns you barely have enough fuel to get to the objective in France, fight for 5 minutes, then make it back to England on fumes because you have to cruise at max continuous (and burn all your gas) to keep from overcooling.....and that's with the slipper tank.

Edited by Nealius

7 hours ago, Nealius said:

If you don't have enough fuel to add turns? In many of the Spitfire campaigns you barely have enough fuel to get to the objective in France, fight for 5 minutes, then make it back to England on fumes because you have to cruise at max continuous (and burn all your gas) to keep from overcooling.....and that's with the slipper tank.

At current state, i  don't see any solution for this problem until spitfire cooling system will be fixed.

• Like 1

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

I guess it's good to know it's not just me and something's up with the Spit. Cooling and fuel consumption both feel quite off, but they've been that way for at least two years now... 

I guess I'll be doing r/hoggit antics with double split-s into the pattern. Ha.

Fuel burn is high because like you said for cruising  you have to use very high power, and for this no solution available.

19 hours ago, iFoxRomeo said:

Did you suffer an engine failure due to overcooling in the Spitfire?

Quite a few times, typically when reducing power in the landing pattern to slow to gear down speeds. Reduce power to -4 boost, still plenty of fuel, flames shoot out the exhaust stacks and the prop slowly spins to a stop.

• 1 month later...

I watched a video the other day from a WW2 pilot and he said he would go into a flat spin in a spit to get down. I tried it in DCS and it works great! Just spin to as low as you want ah go and hit rudder and power and you'll come right out of it.