Autostart Won't Work

dresoccer4

Has anyone else never gotten the autostart to not work? It goes through the checklist and runs the starter, and the engine kicked around a couple times but then never catches and it stops spinning. It then says autostart complete.

Are there certain conditions where it won't work no matter what? I do have the OAT below freezing but that shouldn't matter

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

^ It will matter IF autostart script runs on-time rather than on-condition, ie. keeps the starter engaged only for so and so seconds no matter what actually happens with the engine (that's my speculation, though, I've never investigated how this thing's scripted). Just like in other DCS warbirds, in cold temps it takes longer for the engine to crank, so that might be the culprit.

I tried auto-start only twice or so in the P-47 and it worked fine, but that was in summer missions.

On a side note, do you really need to have the mission set to freezing temps? Keep in mind oil dilution is probably still not implemented in the -47 (last time I checked it still wasn't) and thus it takes a loooooong time to get the oil to minimum safe pressure, which is absolutely critical in this module before takeoff.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

9 hours ago, Art-J said:

^ It will matter IF autostart script runs on-time rather than on-condition, ie. keeps the starter engaged only for so and so seconds no matter what actually happens with the engine (that's my speculation, though, I've never investigated how this thing's scripted). Just like in other DCS warbirds, in cold temps it takes longer for the engine to crank, so that might be the culprit.

I tried auto-start only twice or so in the P-47 and it worked fine, but that was in summer missions.

On a side note, do you really need to have the mission set to freezing temps? Keep in mind oil dilution is probably still not implemented in the -47 (last time I checked it still wasn't) and thus it takes a loooooong time to get the oil to minimum safe pressure, which is absolutely critical in this module before takeoff.

I did some more experimenting and it does indeed seem to be temperature related. I was doing a winter mission and had the OAT at like -10 (which isn't that cold to be honest that's a typical winter day here in the US) but I then raised the OAT slightly to like -4 and it was able to start ok. 

So the good news is it does seem the temp does indeed have a serious impact on engine stuff. Bad news is not sure there's a way around it at the moment if you're doing winter missions. 

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

Starting up manually can be quite a bit faster than using auto anyway, so that's the only way around I'm afraid ;).

That oil dilution issue is more PITA, however... I'm going to fire up the sim today to double check if maybe, just maybe it was fixed in some recent patch.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/10/2021 at 3:45 AM, Art-J said:

it takes a loooooong time to get the oil to minimum safe pressure, which is absolutely critical in this module before takeoff.

yup, on a cold Channel map I had to run the time acceleration at Maximum (x16 ?) for about 30 or 40 seconds to get it in to the safe pressure zone. A working oil dilution would be a nice feature for sure.

On 10/10/2021 at 8:09 PM, Art-J said:

Starting up manually can be quite a bit faster than using auto anyway, so that's the only way around I'm afraid ;).

That oil dilution issue is more PITA, however... I'm going to fire up the sim today to double check if maybe, just maybe it was fixed in some recent patch.

It should be an option in mission editor to have or not have engine oil diluted, oil dilution procedure stands that oil dilution should be performed before engine shut down, so next day plane has oil diluted already.  When temp is very low, you can't start engine if oil isn't diluted.

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

11 hours ago, grafspee said:

It should be an option in mission editor to have or not have engine oil diluted, oil dilution procedure stands that oil dilution should be performed before engine shut down, so next day plane has oil diluted already.  When temp is very low, you can't start engine if oil isn't diluted.

Not to mention that usually the Crew Chief would have warmed up the engine and had the plane ready for the pilot.