400 Mile Cross Country

rkk01

Wanted to try the Mossie on a longer distance jaunt… in prep for fjord raids from “Shetland” to “Norway”

Manston - Ostend - Calais - Dieppe - Eastbourne - Dover - Manston… just about 400 miles

Flew her fully loaded - bombs and drop tanks

Climb to 20,000’ is tedious and the trim sensitivity seems even more tricky at altitude

Didn’t have any engine problems (normally do), so can only conclude that getting back to 2650 / 8 boost and keeping there is good for engine life

Fuel management worked ok - burnt drop / outer tanks first then switched over to inner.  Only problem was couldn’t find drop tank jettison 🙄

(only to find out after that it’s the same as dropping the wing bombs)

So, basically - bring it on with that new map👍

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rkk01 said:

(only to find out after that it’s the same as dropping the wing bombs)

I tried that and couldn't get them to drop, even though on the bomb panel it says bomb/wing tanks next to the switches. Then I found the secret!...

Look on the left side of the cockpit just up from the throttle quadrant, there's a push button with a cross hatched pattern on the protective cover, it's not yellow and black as per modern aircraft, I think it's grey and black but anyway it's cross hatched, it's quite tucked away up there but once you've found it you won't forget it!. Lift the cover and push the button and off they come!.

Edited by bart
  • Thanks 1

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

Max ceiling what is it exactly. Let say that you fly your mossie  2650/ 8 boost, so you expect to get to 30k at this power setting, so you are at 30k running 2650 rpm then you hit 3000rpm and you go up 10k ft higher ?? No!! max ceiling is achieved at max rpm and max throttle. Max ceiling for lower rpm will be lower as well. 

Don't expect when at 2650rpm to get near 30k.

Service ceiling for P-51 at 2700 rpm is 37k for 3000rpm is way above 40k

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

11 hours ago, rkk01 said:

I wasn’t referencing circa 20k as max ceiling - it was the altitude I chose for cruise / range…

What I did find, was that the Mossie seemed even more unstable in the thinner air

Yes it will.

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Flying at 20k yesterday, I found that as well as pitch instability, the Mossie was also constantly dropping her left wing - which I kept trimming out

when I glanced at the aileron trim indicator I was pretty much full right deflection on the trimmer…!

I assume fuel burn from outer / drop tanks is balanced???  And that fuel load out in ME is also automatically balanced)

10 minutes ago, rkk01 said:

I assume fuel burn from outer / drop tanks is balanced???

No, the outer tanks only feed "their" engine. No crossfeed for the outer tanks, that's why you should burn that fuel first.

• Thanks 1
Spoiler

PC Specs: Ryzen 9 5900X, 3080ti, 64GB RAM, Oculus Quest 3

2 hours ago, rkk01 said:

I assume fuel burn from outer / drop tanks is balanced???  And that fuel load out in ME is also automatically balanced)

I think the "4-way switch" (#7) on each side are the inner/off/outer fuel cocks behind the pilot seat.
That means no cross-flow between the outer tanks. Only the inners and central tanks are all connected together through the fuel collector box (#17).

fuel_system.png

Edited by No1sonuk

1 hour ago, No1sonuk said:

I think the "4-way switch" (#7) on each side are the inner/off/outer fuel cocks behind the pilot seat.
That means no cross-flow between the outer tanks. Only the inners and central tanks are all connected together through the fuel collector box (#17).

fuel_system.png

seem to remember reading something like that…

the diagram above though does show a line from the 4-way switch (7) on each outer through to the fuel collector box (17)…🤔

31 minutes ago, rkk01 said:

seem to remember reading something like that…

the diagram above though does show a line from the 4-way switch (7) on each outer through to the fuel collector box (17)…🤔

I think that's just the feed from the fuel collector box.  If you think of the "4-ways" as connecting one of 3 inputs (one unused) to one output, none of the inputs would be cross-connected.