Request - Reduce the fireball/explosion effect of S-5 and S-8 rockets.

Blindside

Hey all 🙂

First of all I just want to say I absolutely love the Hind. I've spent now around 200 hours flying this thing and I can't get enough of it. With that said, I do have a small nitpick about the explosion effects of the rockets. Currently the impacts of the S-5 and S-8 rockets are massive fireballs that are not only unrealistic when looking at the effects of the rockets in videos and images, but also falsely advertises their effectiveness and accuracy to a degree. 

When looking at footage of S-8 rockets in use, their visual blast radius is relatively small. Here are some references:

"MIL MI-24 Hind & Kamov KA-52 Alligator Unleash Their Firepower"

Mi-24 Hind helicopters shoot rockets from pilot view perspective

MI-24 Rocket Strike Cockpit POV

Hind helicopters shooting with guns and rockets

MI 24 Hind - Mercenaries Attacking rebels in Sierra Leone

As you can see, the impact of the rockets is rather small and nothing like the massive fireball S-5's and S-8's currently produce. They just create poofs of smoke. I think the effect is fine for S-24's and the 122mm(?) rocket pods, but could be reduced for S-5 and S-8.

For me, impact effects are hugely important for feedback and just general satisfaction and immersion when employing weapon systems, and this is honestly one of my only gripes about flying the Hind. If anything, the impact of the rockets should use the same impact effect of the 30mm cannon. 

I hope this will be possible 🙂

Cheers ED and thanks for this amazing module!

Edited by Blindside
  • Like 2

It which variants are you using? S-8OFP2 is a 2007 prototype with 3x larger warhead then MOM that was used normally up until then, it’s design wasn’t in service until 2014 and may or may not have been integrated into ASP-17. Al To of those S-8 videos might be KOM or other variants, the modern Syria ones with Ka-52 could easily be S-8OFP but just something worth mentioning

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

16 hours ago, Blindside said:

Hey all 🙂

First of all I just want to say I absolutely love the Hind. I've spent now around 200 hours flying this thing and I can't get enough of it. With that said, I do have a small nitpick about the explosion effects of the rockets. Currently the impacts of the S-5 and S-8 rockets are massive fireballs that are not only unrealistic when looking at the effects of the rockets in videos and images, but also falsely advertises their effectiveness and accuracy to a degree. 

When looking at footage of S-8 rockets in use, their visual blast radius is relatively small. Here are some references:

"MIL MI-24 Hind & Kamov KA-52 Alligator Unleash Their Firepower"

Mi-24 Hind helicopters shoot rockets from pilot view perspective

MI-24 Rocket Strike Cockpit POV

Hind helicopters shooting with guns and rockets

MI 24 Hind - Mercenaries Attacking rebels in Sierra Leone

As you can see, the impact of the rockets is rather small and nothing like the massive fireball S-5's and S-8's currently produce. They just create poofs of smoke. I think the effect is fine for S-24's and the 122mm(?) rocket pods, but could be reduced for S-5 and S-8.

For me, impact effects are hugely important for feedback and just general satisfaction and immersion when employing weapon systems, and this is honestly one of my only gripes about flying the Hind. If anything, the impact of the rockets should use the same impact effect of the 30mm cannon. 

I hope this will be possible 🙂

Cheers ED and thanks for this amazing module!

Yeah, im pretty sure these are training/practice rounds..

• Like 1

100 percent agree. But mostly for KOM rockets. They only have 1 kg explosives. OFP have 3 kg, DM have 2 kg thermobaric that explode like 6 kg. These should create a noticeable ball of fire. 

Also the smoke trails are too thick IMO. 

Edited by Sobakopes
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, StevanJ said:

Yeah, im pretty sure these are training/practice rounds..

Even in combat footage the impact from rockets mostly just create poofs of smoke and dust. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi0jVew2yBs&feature=emb_title

https://youtu.be/T6cZGU09zy

And something tells me these aren't just training scenarios.

2 hours ago, Sobakopes said:

100 percent agree. But mostly for KOM rockets. They only have 1 kg explosives. OFP have 3 kg, DM have 2 kg thermobaric that explode like 6 kg. These should create a noticeable ball of fire. 

Also the smoke trails are too thick IMO. 

Yeah, the explosion effects make sense for thermobaric explosives for sure. Infact the current rocket explosions fit perfectly for thermobaric. Agreed on the smoke trails too.

Edited by Blindside

35 minutes ago, Blindside said:

Even in combat footage the impact from rockets mostly just create poofs of smoke and dust. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi0jVew2yBs&feature=emb_title

https://youtu.be/T6cZGU09zy

And something tells me these aren't just training scenarios.

Youve picked very poor quality videos..
Heres a Rocket Strike training vid, a strike from a little bird, and an FA18.
As i cant find any real rocket strikes from a hind.

Can you show us an example of the Hinds rocket damage?

Edited by StevanJ
  • Thanks 2

Your third video shows a bomb strike -- most likely JDAMS -- so I'm not really sure why you included that one. The first two are more on-par with the subject and yes... those are most of what the HE OF rockets should look like. Those are more like the 30mm impact effects like I suggested they should be. Just poofs of smoke with a small initial explosion. Not like the current fireball explosions we have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=121&v=ANPmLohXpNE&feature=emb_title

https://youtu.be/nFtWPRF0A7w?t=129

The current rocket explosions look more like JDAM strikes than 80mm HEAT/HE.

Edited by Blindside

34 minutes ago, StevanJ said:

Youve picked very poor quality videos..

I will kindly ask Syrian rebels to take higher quality footage of Hind rocket attacks 🙂

9 hours ago, AeriaGloria said:

It which variants are you using? S-8OFP2 is a 2007 prototype with 3x larger warhead then MOM that was used normally up until then, it’s design wasn’t in service until 2014 and may or may not have been integrated into ASP-17. Al To of those S-8 videos might be KOM or other variants, the modern Syria ones with Ka-52 could easily be S-8OFP but just something worth mentioning

Understandable, but still would create a smaller effect than the currently rocket explosion effect. They are fine for the 122mm S-13-Of and S-24.

Edited by Blindside
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just a note:

The way cameras see the world is very differently than how the human eye sees it. Different apertures, shutter speeds, sensors sensitivities etc.

If you want to know what it should look like - talk to someone whose seen rocket run in real life.

That is the only way.