Looking for tips on how to record in VR

Willdass

Hi,

Just recently started to try and record some flights in VR and I have some issues with the jitter and frame drops in the recording ( not in the headset).

Questions:

• Should I record in 30fps or 60? DCS runs at 45 and is very smooth in the headset.
  • Better to record in high resolution or upscale it in post production? I have a reverb g2 and tried to record in 1440p and then upscale it to 4k in post production. Should I reduce recording to 1080?
  • Any tips on how to smooth out the recording to make it seem less shaky?
  • Any other tips?

For reference, here is how my recording turned out last night:

https://youtu.be/zJ0qG0rE8GY

BR

Edited by Willdass

https://www.youtube.com/@Willdass

Setup: VPC Warbrd with TM F/A-18 stick on 10cm extension, Realsimulator FSSB-R3 MK II Ultra with F16SGRH grip, Winwing Super Taurus throttle, SimGears F-16 ICP, Winwing Combat and Take Off Panels, TM TPR Pendular Rudders,  3x TM Cougar MFD's, Simshaker Jetpad, Wacom Intuos S for OpenKneeboard.

PC: RTX 4090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 64gb RAM 3600mhz, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb G2, Meta Quest Pro

• Willdass changed the title to Looking for tips on how to record in VR

I can tell you how I did it in my case with the Reverb G2. 

1. If you use nvidia broadcast to show your webcam as it removes the background, better to use a true green screen or just the webcam without Nvidia Broadcast. It can take your 15% or so of your GPU, and DCS is already at 96% without it. So it can produce stutters.

2. I have duplicated my screen resolution, so ifI have 1920x1080 I make a new resolution: 3840x2160 with Nvidia control panel and when I want to run VR and record it I change to that resolution. That way the VR mirror of DCS will fill more pixel density in the new resolution and you will be able to capture with OBS as it where 1080p screened.

If you try the WMR mirror you will have full pixel ratio but stutters. With SteamVR mirror you will have the half of the fps you have (45/2 = 22.5)

3. I record at 30fps it is too hard to record 60fps for the computer so better leave it with more resources. And I record x264h. Not Nvidia codec as said in point1.

4. to remove the VR mask in the mirror I use this: Remove VR Black Mask (digitalcombatsimulator.com)

• Like 1

Amazing tips, thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/@Willdass

Setup: VPC Warbrd with TM F/A-18 stick on 10cm extension, Realsimulator FSSB-R3 MK II Ultra with F16SGRH grip, Winwing Super Taurus throttle, SimGears F-16 ICP, Winwing Combat and Take Off Panels, TM TPR Pendular Rudders,  3x TM Cougar MFD's, Simshaker Jetpad, Wacom Intuos S for OpenKneeboard.

PC: RTX 4090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 64gb RAM 3600mhz, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb G2, Meta Quest Pro