PC wont post after enabling TPM

Hi all,

Im running windows 10 on a Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite motherboard running a RTX 3070, Ryzen 5 5600x with 32 GB Ram.

Now Windows 11 is officially out i wanted to install it, but my PC said it did not had TPM 2.0 enabled.

After checking sone information videos i started changing some Bios settings to enable TPM.

I had to disable CSM and after that go to 'Secure Boot' and update the platform keys and save and restart the PC.

Unfortunatelly my computer never booted again.

It went into an boot loop just making my fans spin and make my keyboard and mouse light up, make  a post beep, and stop and doing it again and again etc. No signal on the monitor.

After this i decided to clear the CMOS, did it by removing the battery for minutes and touching the pins with a screwdriver for like 15 seconds.

Since then my pc when powering up only makes my fans spin and keyboard en mouse light up, no signal to monitor, no beeps.

EZ debug lights are in a continuous loop.

Been trying cmos resets again with no luck. When i remove my ramsticks it makes it beep, removing graphics card makes no difference. Havent tried removing cpu yet.

I have a feeling it has nothing to do with hardware, but with software and how windows is booting.

Can anyone hopefully with better understanding of these settings and system clarify anything for me what has happend?

On internet i do find topics about this but never with a clear solution.

MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus - Ryzen 5 5600x - RTX3070 - 32GB Ram - HP Reverb G2 - Warthog HOTAS - VKB rudder pedals

9 minutes ago, RvL said:

have a feeling it has nothing to do with hardware, but with software and how windows is booting.

If it does not reach the bios setup screen, then it isnt a windows problem. Seems to me that your motherboard does not have the TPM v2.0 hardware. I’d try to reach Gigabyte tech support, as they may have a way to restore your Bios keys.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Thanks for your reply.

I made a support ticket at Gigabyte.

Now lets wait 3 - 5 days.

Couldnt wait and a new motherboard will be delivered today.

Will try to fix the motherboard though when there is a solution.

Keep you posted.

MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus - Ryzen 5 5600x - RTX3070 - 32GB Ram - HP Reverb G2 - Warthog HOTAS - VKB rudder pedals

Thats not neccescarily the right way to reset the bios...

READ THE FUCKING MANUAL ;D

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_b450-aorus-elite_e_1101_v1.pdf

16) CLR_CMOS (Clear CMOS Jumper) Use this jumper to clear the BIOS configuration and reset the CMOS values to factory defaults. To clear the CMOS values, use a metal object like a screwdriver to touch the two pins for a few seconds. • Always turn off your computer and unplug the power cord from the power outlet before clearing the CMOS values. • After system restart, go to BIOS Setup to load factory defaults (select Load Optimized Defaults) or manually configure the BIOS settings (refer to Chapter 2, "BIOS Setup," for BIOS configurations).

Tried this above?

• Like 1

FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | SA342  R5 5600X | 32GB | RX 6800XT | TM Cougar | T-Rudder mk.IV | HP Reverb G2

Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle USB standalone MOD

No need to read the manual 😉

Did all the above already.

But pc wont post, no bios screen. Cant do anything.

Hopefully Gigabyte knows a way arround.

In the meanwhile iam up and running with a new motherboard.

Thanks for trying to help JayRoc

I experienced already the funniest absolutely non explainable errors - i am working in IT.

So with my Gigabyte Board wouldnt post with my RX6800Xt after OC, but after trying a different graphics card the AMD worked again and the PC bootet.

On other occations simply taking the CPU out of the socket solved that very same problem.

Edited by JayRoc

FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | SA342  R5 5600X | 32GB | RX 6800XT | TM Cougar | T-Rudder mk.IV | HP Reverb G2

3 hours ago, JayRoc said:

I experienced already the funniest absolutely non explainable errors - i am working in IT.

So with my Gigabyte Board wouldnt post with my RX6800Xt after OC, but after trying a different graphics card the AMD worked again and the PC bootet.

On other occations simply taking the CPU out of the socket solved that very same problem.

Also agree with that, both solutions are good troubleshooting.

If all else fails and the problem really is the motherboard, do not throw it away as it'll likely be easily fixed.

Most motherboard fails are result of corrupted BIOS, more common even than broken electric parts due to overheating (bad overclocking, etc) or sudden power surges, and usually a simple BIOS chip swap solves the problem.

This chip is a motherboard component that has the BIOS in it (think of it as a storage device, which you may also seen in vehicles as EPROMs for the ECU tinkering), it's easy to get and available at very cheap price.

Plenty BIOS chips specifically for your Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite motherboad are available on ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=Gigabyte+B450+Aorus+Elite+bios+chip&_sacat=0

If getting one, enquire the seller about the possibility of them installing most recent version of BIOS (or a specific one that you prefer instead) before it being sent to you.

Here's a tutorial on how to replace that (it's usually the very same process on every motherboard):

Simple process -  you lift and pull the old one out, and fit the new one in its place.

Get the PC ready to boot and off you go.

Edited by LucShep

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | UAD Volt1 + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

14 hours ago, RvL said:

i started changing some Bios settings to enable TPM

Just curious, did you set TPM on your CPU or somewhere else? You have a Ryzen 5600X, which comes with firmware TPM (fTPM), hence my question...

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

1 hour ago, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

Just curious, did you set TPM on your CPU or somewhere else? You have a Ryzen 5600X, which comes with firmware TPM (fTPM), hence my question...

That would be the first time I heared about such an issue with a 5600X, we never know, but on the other hand, issues with BIOS updated are not uncommun among Mortherboard manufacturers, I'd be updating my BIOS first thing after downloading the last version and the version before it to make sure...

One way to do it is to use an Internet cafe, go there with an USB stick and format it to the right format following the manufacturer instructions, download the update (S).

Then back home start the BIOS update process, it will probably reset it as well...

Edited by Thinder

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

10 hours ago, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

I only disabled csm and went to secure boot to update the platform keys. After that i had to save and restart.

Thats when my pc didnt boot anymore.

I've got a reply already from Gigabyte, made it clear what the problem is and what i've tried to fix it, but they start with i need to update the bios and change settings in the bios, which i cant reach.

And clearing cmos, everything i already explained doing.

Seems like they dont even read everything i said making me to say everything multiple times. Maybe its a language barrier since im in contact with team Germany.

Right now i do not have that motherboard installed in my pc.

But is it possible to enter the bios with a flashusb even when the pc does not want to boot at all?

Edited by RvL

Just got this email replying on my reply where i said i already tried clearing cmos.

"Thank you for emailing GIGABYTE.
We are delighted with your interest in our products.

For complaints within the guarantee period please contact your dealer. Your dealer has the possibility to either send a defective product either through its distributor or to complain directly to the responsible GIGABYTE RMA center.

Regards

GIGABYTE Team"

Seems like they cant do anything about it.

Really weird that changing these bios settings makes your pc unbootable and this cant be fixed by me with their information.

Glad i bought another motherboard, cause sending it to them and for them to check whats wrong will take approx. 4 weeks from my own experience.

5 hours ago, RvL said:

But is it possible to enter the bios with a flashusb even when the pc does not want to boot at all?

It is possible to flash the BIOS without the need to start your PC at all, if you have a modern motherboard that supports Ryzen 5000, which you do have.
You'll need to put the BIOS file on a USB flashdrive using another PC (or MAC, but make sure it's formatted correctly), and connect it to the slot on your motherboard that is labelled "BIOS flash", and has a button next to it.
The only thing you need to do is to make sure the power is on, then connect that USB flashdrive, and press and hold the button until an orange (it's usually orange) light starts blinking. Then just wait 10 minutes or so until the light went out. If the light is out, it means the BIOS flashed succesfully.

This method of BIOS flashing was introduced for motherboards that added Ryzen 5000 support after they were already released, and it allows for BIOS flashing without a CPU present - or in this case, a thus-far unsupported CPU. Since you needed the new BIOS for Ryzen 5000 support but without the means to boot up the PC with the CPU installed with an older BIOS, this was the only way if you weren't upgrading from an older CPU.

You can find more details in this guide:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

One last thing.

Since i succesfully installed windows 11 with my new motherboard, i want to update the bios using the bios flash utility in the Asus bios settings.

It tells me i have to suspend bitlocker before i can install the bios update. Thats normall.

But when i enter control panel and go to system and security i cant open bitlocker settings.

It only opens a screen(advertising) asking me to buy windows 10/11. 

I have windows 11 registered with a key so i dont understand this.

When i right click on my C drive, there is no bitlocker option.

How to fix this?

Been searching for hours online but cant seem to find valuable information about this specific thing.

Edited by RvL

27 minutes ago, RvL said:

Since i succesfully installed windows 11 with my new motherboard, i want to update the bios using the bios flash utility in the Asus bios settings.

You may want to investigate because there are issues reported on Windows 11 support for the Ryzen CPUs...

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

On 10/8/2021 at 4:00 PM, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

It is possible to flash the BIOS without the need to start your PC at all[...]

This board doesnt support it - with Gigabyte its called Q-Flash Plus.

• Like 1

Did you try hooking monitor to Onboard HDMI instead of PCIe HDMI?

• Like 1

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

On 10/10/2021 at 3:40 PM, RvL said:

Im going to contact the shop where i bought the board and ask them what to do.

It's not the shop you should contact but support of the manufacturer...

2 hours ago, Thinder said:

It's not the shop you should contact but support of the manufacturer...

Already asked Gigabyte.

They told me to reset cmos. 

Once i told them i already did all that, they said i had to contact my local shop where i bought the board for RMA.

Waiting now for their response.

5 hours ago, SkateZilla said:

Did you try hooking monitor to Onboard HDMI instead of PCIe HDMI?

Havent tried that. And right now i cant check if that makes a difference since i already installed another board

Maybe this will help.

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

This will not be helpful I know, but I cannot understand why anyone would want to move (note I did not say "upgrade") to W11.  Why be an unpaid beta tester.  Also TPM is utter GARBAGE, reminds of the infamous "trusted computing" that died a deserved death.

The OP's experience should be a warning to all here.  Whats wrong with W10?  If it aint broke...

• Like 1

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

never install a new O/S on a system needed for everyday use if it's stable.

when we test Windows O/S as a tester, we install it on a completely separate drive and leave our stable install intact on another.

Many of us do not even use our primary systems for O/S Testing.

• Like 1

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs