JDAM Not accurate

Rhinozherous

Go to solution Solved by Enduro14,

• Solution

haven't watched the track so forgive me if it shows it.  But did you use the laser range finder in tgp to confirm the coordinates?  Tgp by itself wont be accurate enough for a jdam drop on target.  So always laser range it and its more precise.  Been doing same SOP with the Hog for years and seems to be the way.

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S

vor 21 Minuten schrieb Rhinozherous:

Hello!

In the attached track I tried to hit a tank with JDAMS. Alltough I aim at the ground below the tank the bombs miss 2 times... the third one hits. Did I do something wrong or is there a bug wiht JDAMS?

Thank you

F16 JDAM.trk 4 MB · 0 Downloads

The track is rather large, but watched it anyway. If I saw that correct, you did not lase prior to dropping the JDAM. This will enable the laser rangefinder on the TGP for a more precise target location.
It doesn't really matter if you point at the tank or the ground at that steep angle, but laser rangefinding does. You do not need to lase after the bomb has been dropped, but JDAM's are more precise if you use the laser rangefinding BEFORE you drop for a second or so.
Note the little jump in coordinates after lasing on the TGP.

1 hour ago, Rhinozherous said:

Hello!

In the attached track I tried to hit a tank with JDAMS. Alltough I aim at the ground below the tank the bombs miss 2 times... the third one hits. Did I do something wrong or is there a bug wiht JDAMS?

Thank you

F16 JDAM.trk 4.07 MB · 2 downloads

I´d say neither.

If you Google GBU-38 + CEP you´ll find that the JDAM is supposed to hit inside 5m, best case scenario.

Generating TGT Coords with your TGP is not best case scenario, still in DCS it mostly does hit pretty close. So 33% is actually pretty good IMO.  

52d_Sig_Pic3.png

Does the laser rangefinder work beyond the 8.4nm hard-coded laser limit in DCS?

• Like 1

Z390 Aorus Elite | i5-9600k @5.0Ghz | RTX3060 12GB | 32GB DDR4 | Windows 10 | Quest 2 | Warthog HOTAS | Sahaj 20cm Extension

1 hour ago, Nealius said:

Does the laser rangefinder work beyond the 8.4nm hard-coded laser limit in DCS?

Nope...

Though to be real, there are bunch of issues with lasers and different generations of TGPs same with different "kinds" of lasers i.e. designator vs LRF, vs pointer. NONE of that is modeled in DCS. Part of what you read about with earlier pods (and one of the reasons they talk about "altitude" with TGPs) is that the early NdYag lasers would undergo HV  breakdown at high alts. This was corrected in later model pods by using more modern lasers as well other issues like spot-jitter (also not modeled in DCS).

Not to mention the various issues with JDAM's and CEP and TOO coordinates in general. Which also is pod dependent to a large degree, though we don't have this combo in DCS. 

Edited by Harlikwin

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Hey the track was a little long but I am not seeing a problem, my own test seem fine. 

If you want to test and produce shorter track replays showing a problem I am happy to take another look. 

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 32GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

vor 6 Stunden schrieb deltatango:

Hornet driver here just picking up the Viper. Is this an F-16 specific thing? JDAMs work just fine in the F-18 without lasing.

Depends on your target size, larger targets are Ok. 

Don't know about the Hornet, it is the only teen fighter I don't have.