Who's on 11 already ?

Who's on 11   

48 members have voted

1. 1. Are you running Windows 10 or 11 ?

• Win10
    • Win11

I did the upgrade yesterday and it all "seems" to work as intended. No errors or glitches so far.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I'll be sticking with Win10 - and would've stood instead with Win7 if I could - for the foreseeable future.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-11-security-gaming-application-performance-benchmarks

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/windows-11-pcs-can-hobble-gaming-performance/

Personally can't agree with this VBS cripling gaming performance BS, hence why I'm not going to pay or use Win11 in my systems.

We've been jerked around enough by M$ already.

Edited by LucShep
added video
  • Like 2

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | UAD Volt1 + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

Just now, xaoslaad said:

So far so good. It was a pretty painless upgrade. The relatively few games and apps I have installed still work

For me, the time required to reinstall all my Apps and drivers (Hotas, VR, etc) is quite large ... have you noticed any significant benefit from running on Windows 11 that would compensate for this time investment? Higher performance? Useful new features?

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

2 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

For me, the time required to reinstall all my Apps and drivers (Hotas, VR, etc) is quite large ... have you noticed any significant benefit from running on Windows 11 that would compensate for this time investment? Higher performance? Useful new features?

I just upgraded my current install. I have, same as you, no interest in installing 11 from scratch plus all my software and licenses...ahh NO, only if I really need to ( and therefor I have Acronis Cyber Protect and a Backup ).

No, just upgrade it, takes about an hour and all is good.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

50 minutes ago, BitMaster said:

just upgrade it

I'm hesitant because I'm not sure if the version change provides any actual benefit. If it has no benefits then I don't see the point in upgrading, I prefer the known old devil rather than a new devil.

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

3 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

I didn't notice anything drastically improved. The cut/copy/paste/delete icons in the context menu threw me off for a bit. Kept choosing more options, before I realized they were along the top. It took me awhile to realize I had to right click on the menu button instead of anywhere on the taskbar to get a menu where I could bring up the task manager and other stuff. I gave up on the Windows 10 menu so I couldn't care less about the changes there, though it looks different for sure. The absence of the power mode slider (for my laptop) from the battery icon in the notificationr is the most annoying thing I've encountered. It's now buried in the system settings. I leave it in performance mode and let the fans go wild unless I'm on a conference call or watching a movie. Switching is now more tedious. So, overall nothing drastically ruined either.

I didn't have to reinstall any apps or drivers. I just used the upgrade assistant to kick off the upgrade and it basically ran until it was done. Afterwards, I did some incidental cleanup of install files, checked over that things were still working, and that was about it. Nothing was broken for me so it was quick. Obviously, if you're going to do a clean install it's going to take a lot more work.

• Like 1

Thanks Bitmaster and xaoslaad.... I was sitting on the fence on this one. However I am a glutton for punishment and like shiny new things when it comes to my PC !!!

I know my system meets the specs and the notification its available has popped up. No option to actually upgrade option yet for me though.

Did you guys upgrade from the "Windows Update" page in settings? Or did you download an upgrade online?

Finally on the off chance someone on here is using a MSI X570 motherboard and has upgraded to Win 11, which bios are you using please?

Yeah, thanks but no thanks. Let me put it this way, if DCS World at some point in the future ran natively on Linux, I would migrate in a heartbeat and never look back. 

Edited by Lurker

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

I'm about to do the upgrade using the assistant. Windows update says my PC is ready (I have built a new rig a few weeks ago) but the update is not rolled out yet for my machine. I think it cannot harm, it's just a very big windows 10 service pack they have decided to name 11. In the worst case, running the upgrade you can downgrade back to windows 10 if something goes wrong (and you do not delete the windows.old folder).

Edited by nessuno0505

If you have ryzen CPU, maybe better to wait until fix is released:

https://www.pcgamer.com/amd-reports-that-windows-11-may-be-causing-a-performance-dip-of-up-to-15-on-ryzen-cpus/

Anyway I knew this and updated to Win11, no problem with DCS.

Asus Prime X570-P * Ryzen 5800X3D + Scythe Fuma cooler * RTX 4080 Super * Corsair 64GB DDR4 3600MHz * Samsung 980 pro 1Tb + 2Tb nvme * Samsung 850 EVO 512Gb SSD * Corsair RM850x V2/2018 * HP Reverb G2 * CH Fighterstick/Pedals/Throttle * Win11

I have a Intel Core i5 4670k with 8 years age and the Windows Update said that my processor is not good enough for the Windows 11.

image.png

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/these-are-all-the-intel-and-amd-cpus-that-can-run-windows-11

Edited by SilentSierra

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D MOBO: Asus ROG STRIX B650E-E MEM: Kingston FURY Renegade 64GB DDR5 5200MHz SSD: Kingstone Fury Renegade NVME PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD 4TB GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC CASE: Cooler Master TD500 Mesh WATER COOLER: Cooler Master Master Liquid ML360 Illusion HT: TrackIR 5 VR: HP Reverb G2 V2 HOTAS: TM HOTAS Warthog RUDDER: TPR Rudder Pedals GRIP: TM F/A-18C GRIP WHEELS: Logitech G27 OS: Win 11 Pro SIMS: DCS World, Falcon BMS, IL-2 Sturmovik, MSFS2020, Arma 3, Assetto Corsa.

As long as Win10 is kept up to date and nobody is showing some meaningful improvements in Win11 over Win10, regarding my favorit games...

I think, I will stay away from upgrading this time. At least I will wait a couple of month unil all major bugs, flaws and issues had time to manifest and be ironed out.

I used to be an early adopter most of the time and would even join closed betas from time to time to get the newest OS (regardless which platform).

I liked, that a new OS made the devices/maschines somewhat "new"-feeling.

But lately, I'd rather stay away from this practice. Part because of bad experiences, part due to rejection of the contents of updates becoming more and more intrusive. And I absolutely HATE any kind of subscription service.

I was an absolute sucker for MS Excel, but after Office'97 it went downhill. Office 365 made me transition to Open Office (which was and is a pain in the arse).

Is it a sign of old-age, that I liked the way, things used to be? 🥲

Edited by Hiob

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

I'm going to hold off until all proper drivers I'll need (motherboard etc) have a dedicated non-beta W11 version. And even then, I only plan to upgrade if/when for whatever reason my PC needs an OS reinstall...

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

I have a ryzen CPU but I upgraded anyway; I like to try new things and my rig is a gaming/multimedia dedicated one, so why not to try. The few games tested have similar performance vs win10, a fix for the ryzen bug should be out by the end of the month, but it does not seems to be a big problem, maybe it is in some selected scenarios, I don't know, I've read about competitive fps that usually I do not play. All my software works as intended. The only issue is some sort of latency when shutting down the PC, and I had to reload my BIOS (even if already the last version) as it sometimes booted in recovery. After a CMOS reset and a BIOS reinstall, all seems to work well. My BIOS version is already win 11 tested, maybe a more stable one will be released in the next months, but these are not huge problems, for now. I have my windows.old folder and I can downgrade back to win 10 if some other issue bother me, but the upgrade has been quite easy. I've had worse problems with some win10 service packs.

This is the interesting opinion of a YouTuber with a lot of IT experience:

So, I think I will wait a while before considering jumping onto the Win11 bandwagon.

If you have the Thrustmaster Target GUI application installed in Windows 11 you will not be able to turn Memory Integrity on under Device Security in settings.  The drivers supplied by Thrustmaster are not compatible. I verified this by uninstalling Target GUI.

Windows 10 is already way too intrusive, Microsoft collects user datas, from literally ALL Apps you don't uninstall, including personal contacts and they "lose" them to hackers, hundred of million of personal data have find their way to someone who isn't supposed to have them so definitively NO.

I don't trust Microsoft at all, so if there is an alternative (like Linux) that works for gaming I'll go for it when Windows 10 Pro which i Just keep under control is in trouble with support of CPU/GPU and the rest of it.

Edited by Thinder

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

1 hour ago, nessuno0505 said:

Everything collects data today: if you use facebook, whatsapp, Gmail, a smartphone

Nope, if you know what you're doing your datas are safe. There are Apps for everything including phones themselves which prevent this to happen, so it's up to you to use them or not.

Right now, I have a very old Motorolla V3 which i will replace with something like this: The Freedom Phone just an example of what one can do, it's a question of choice.

Edited by Thinder

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

They have a Dossier from anyone, incl. you Thinder I am afraid.

• Like 1

So, ordered my 5900X today, along with 64GB and the Aorus X570S Master mobo.

As a result of the Win11-AMD issue I am installing this new rig with 10Pro for the time being though my 8700k runs OK with 11 so far. Tbh, my idle power usage is down by 40 Watts with 11.

Can't tell why, but my Corsair AXi PSU says 100-120w now and not 160w in idle which it used to be ever since with this combo.

edit: 

found it, the 1080ti was always consuming 67w in idle under 10 and the drivers of that past 3 years. Now with 11 it is 18-19w only !!!!

Why was it consuming that much more under 10 ???   0,04kWx24hx365dx3y x 0.30€cent = 315€ electric bill, that's a nice 2TB Samsung wasted in idle !

OK, in RL it slept 2/3 of that time, so it wasted only around 100€ worth of energy.... still, small things add up to a big pile

edit2:

also found out why the Geforce card used more in the past. It's the Maximum Performance setting on GeForce Cpanel that causes it. I thought it would not affect

idle consumption but it does and you have to reboot to make the effect work. Most settings in there work with "Apply" but that setting needs a reboot to show an idle consumption from less than 20w to hop to almost constant 76w.  Yeah, I tried that option long before to see if it matters with idle consumption and I saw no change...I didn't reboot !!

Anyway, got me an eBay copy of 10Pro and start there. I will reinstall the OS a few times anyway when the rig is new. Luckily I have a WDS Server with 10 and 11 on PXE 🤣

Edited by BitMaster
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just read about the problem with the TARGET in Windows 11 and that's an absolute nogo for me.

I also want to be able to use Foxy further with the old Cougar electronics, cause I use them for my selfmade collectives. I love the programmability of TARGET and also Foxy and never understood why people avoid them and do the programming only with simple DX in the configs menu, like any gamepad can do. That's not the profit of an 500$ HOTAS. There is so much more you can do with those tools to let your functions work like they do in real. But that maybe only my own opinion.

What I want to know is, has anybody already tested Foxy with Windows 11. It was still fully functional with Windows 10, but I fear that this could end with Windows 11. For TARGET there will be a fix in future, but for Foxy barely 😄.

I will use it, as already said, for my DIY collectives, to program them (they have Cougar electronic boards). I prefer Foxy here for one simple reason, cause I need to be able to use the diagonals of POV's which is for sure also programmable with TARGET scripts, but with a lot more effort. Those diagonals are very needful if you want to make two POV hats out of one, to be able to have enough programmable inputs for such a monster like the AH-64D collective. Simply use the diagonals on one hat and the normal positions on the other hat. There are many hats you couldn't operate in parallel, cause you switch them with the same finger, so this isn't a problem here.

If anybody already tested Foxy with Win 11 it would be nice to give a short review of it and if it's still running 🙂

P.S:

I also think Foxy was the best HOTAS software ever made, still a lot better as TARGET which is for sure more advanced but also much more complex to learn and much, much more time intensive. Foxy was easy to use and you really could do everything you ever needed for a HOTAS. I was really annoyed as I saw TARGET the first time, cause I came from the old FLCS & TQS and went later to the Cougar. The programming here was such a pleasure compared to TARGET scripts and that's in my opinion also the reason many guys did not use it.

Edited by Viper1970

CockpitPC1: R9 5950X|64GB DDR4|512GB M2SSD|2TB M2SSD|RTX3090|ReverbG2|Win11Pro - PC2: PhnIIX6 1100T|32GB DDR2|2x2TB HDD|2x GTX660 SLI|Win7Pro64
ComUnitPC1: R9 3900XT|32GB DDR4|2x2TB HDD|RTX2070|Win11Pro - PC2: PhnIIX6 1100T|16GB DDR2|2x2TB HDD|GTX660|Win7Pro64
ComUnitPC3: AthlnIIX2 250|2GB DDR2|2TB HDD|5950Ultra|2xVoodooII SLI|WinXPPro32&WinME - PC4: K6-2+|768MB SDR|640GB HDD|Geforce256DDR|VoodooI|Win98SE

DCS - Modules - 1.jpg

DCS - Modules - 2.jpg

@Viper1970 I'm on W11 and Target works fine for me. The only small problem is a few seconds delay when it stops the script, because Windows fights disconnection of virtual joystics. I don't do scripts, only UI, but my profile is pretty big (use only one for all my modules). Foxy I don't have, but did love it with Cougar.

12900KF@5.4, 32GB DDR4@4000cl14g1, 4090, M.2, W10 Pro, Warthog HOTAS, ButtKicker, Reverb G2/OpenXR